CTD right after fresh install

Stemin

Hey. I bought the PC Gamer Morrowind GOTY edition about a week or so ago, and I tried to install it on my laptop a few nights ago. The laptop is pretty old, but with a recommended processor at 500mhz I figured I could get away with it.

First I had trouble installing it because of my antivirus which kept trying to run each install (Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon) in a sandbox. I uninstalled the game, deleted the directory and checked the hidden temporary directories Windows sets up for any evidence of Bethesda stuff (found none).

I disabled the antivirus and then installed everything with no problems. It installed DirectX 8.2 I believe. I should also mention I'm running Win 7 64 bit professional. I installed it in /games/morrowind to eliminate Windows UAC. The game would start to load, and display two screens of graphics with the load bar at the bottom, but as soon as the load bar finishes, the game would crash to the desktop with a message about Windows checking for reasons why the program quit working.

The specs on the laptop are:

Celeron 540 (1.86GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB) with 2Gigs of Ram and a Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128MB-251MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory.

I could try to run it on the desktop which runs skyrim very well, but I'd like to try it on the laptop.

Does anyone think my graphics card setup on this thing are too poor to run the game? Or maybe it has something to do with a background program running? I think Windows Messenger probably loaded, and explorer was in the background. There's also my antivirus and I run winvnc. Had xpadder running... those are the things I _know_ of.

Btw, no mods.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. I bought the PC Gamer Morrowind GOTY edition about a week or so ago, and I tried to install it on my laptop a few nights ago. The laptop is pretty old, but with a recommended processor at 500mhz I figured I could get away with it.

First I had trouble installing it because of my antivirus which kept trying to run each install (Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon) in a sandbox. I uninstalled the game, deleted the directory and checked the hidden temporary directories Windows sets up for any evidence of Bethesda stuff (found none).

I disabled the antivirus and then installed everything with no problems. It installed DirectX 8.2 I believe. I should also mention I'm running Win 7 64 bit professional. I installed it in /games/morrowind to eliminate Windows UAC. The game would start to load, and display two screens of graphics with the load bar at the bottom, but as soon as the load bar finishes, the game would crash to the desktop with a message about Windows checking for reasons why the program quit working.

The specs on the laptop are:

Celeron 540 (1.86GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB) with 2Gigs of Ram and a Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128MB-251MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory.

I could try to run it on the desktop which runs skyrim very well, but I'd like to try it on the laptop.

Does anyone think my graphics card setup on this thing are too poor to run the game? Or maybe it has something to do with a background program running? I think Windows Messenger probably loaded, and explorer was in the background. There's also my antivirus and I run winvnc. Had xpadder running... those are the things I _know_ of.

Btw, no mods.

Shooting in the dark, here, but it certainly appears as though your issue is memory. You've got only 2 GB RAM on a machine that is running Win7, which requires 1GB RAM, and absorbs everything it can get. It's a greedy OS.

You can try turning off all visual enhancements and Windows services you're not going to need, at least while gaming, and closing every program/process not required. I suggest installing a freebie program, Iobit's Gamebooster, which has a huge range of tweaks to get back RAM, and to speed up systems for gaming. It's currently free, and will remain that way for 2 more weeks, before the company starts attaching a price to it for a big jump in development. Worth a look, at least.

Otherwise, I'd suggest moving Morrowind to a good PC running WinXP, with at least 2 GB RAM. This will allow you to add all sorts of mods that tailor the game experience--though to be honest, Morrowind needs far less of that than either of its successors, which I also genuinely enjoy.