Too many items in a cell?

xeightballx

Is it possible to have too many items in a cell?

Here's what happened:

I decided to add/edit two extra rooms to Proudspire Manor, as well as change some of the items around the house. In one room I added three bookshelves, some weapon and armor racks, and a forge. In the other, I moved stuff around and such...

Turns out, that after loading/walking into Proudspire manor, everything works fine. Leaving the house causes a crash to desktop. -- This happens with and without clean saves (as in: never set foot in Solitude or Proudspire).

So I did some messing around, and one bookshelf is one too many. I can add 2, but not 3. I can't say that I've ever had this problem with places like the Archmage's chambers, or any custom cells. I once tried placing something like 15 bookshelves and a poop load of items in a cell, with no crash to desktop upon exiting, so I'm not sure why I'm having such an issue... At the moment, there is a workaround where if I load a small cell first, before an exterior cell, I won't have a crash to desktop.

I don't think this should be happening, but if anyone has an idea of what's causing the issue, it would be very helpful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the file:

This is the "Workaround" version, and if you want to test it for yourself:

- This requires a clean save - as in never set foot in Solitude or Proudspire Manor.

- Remove the current exits to Proudspire Manor and place/use ones that connect directly to and from the cells "SolitudeRow" and "SolitudeProudspireManor"

- Enter and exit Proudspire Manor after (or before) fully upgrading the house.

- Check for CTD - any help is appreciated.

Try converting it to an .esm (master) file.

Edit:

TESVSnip -> File -> Open -> PluginName.esp -> Open -> Expand plugin tree (+) -> Double-click TES4 -> Check 0x00000001 (ESM file) -> Save -> Select / Highlight plugin -> File -> Save -> PluginName.esm -> Save as Type: Master file (*.esm) -> Save

Don't forget to uncheck the esp and check the esm in whichever mod manager you're using ;)

Edit: ! DON'T DO THIS ! - it may corrupt your mod!

Edited by Ez0n3

Try converting it to an .esm (master) file.

If you make it an esm, all the edits youv'e made to the original Proudspire Manor, will be lost (moved furniture, removed walls,...etc).

An esm cannot make an edit to the the Skyrim esm file, only an esp can alter the data held within an esm.

[Edit]

The OP problem is a common problem to most folk, me included. The way round it is to create a blank cell with a door linked to the exit door, in the modded cell. You also need a trigger box attached to a teleport script, sitting directly below the door in the blank (empty) cell.

This way, you exit the via the door, arrive in an empty black cell and drop down onto the trigger box, which teleports you to a Xmarker that is on the outside of the door that you used in the first place.

Sounds complicated, but it's very easy once you understand how it works. You never notice the quick jump ingame. Screen goes black and then you end up outside.

Edited by Tamb0

If you make it an esm, all the edits youv'e made to the original Proudspire Manor, will be lost (moved furniture, removed walls,...etc).

An esm cannot make an edit to the the Skyrim esm file, only an esp can alter the data held within an esm.

I was under the impression that it is hierarchical.

-Skyrim.esm [Master(s): None]

--OfficialDLC.esm [Master(s): Skyrim.esm]

---OfficialDLCAddOn.esp [Master(s): Skyrim.esm, OfficialDLC.esm]

--SomeTC.esm [Master(s): Skyrim.esm]

---SomeTC.esp [Master(s): Skyrim.esm, SomeTC.esm]

etc...

Has something changed in Skyrim?

The esm you make by setting the master flag with TESVsnip, Wyrebash, or the CK, are not true master files.

In order to alter another master file, the esm must contain ONAM lists, which esp files do not have. Try it yourself. Move something in the exterior of Tamriel and save the esp. Check ingame and your edits will be there.

Now change the esp to esm and go ingame. You'll find that your edits will be gone. You can add things with a new esm, but you cannot alter existing setups.

It may not be a "true" master by just ticking the ESM flag, but a "pseudo" master fixes the problem the OP is having without losing edits. I think it also fixes a navmesh and skintone bug as well. You can also reference it via other plugins as if it were a "real" master. So making it a pseudo master is win/win ;)

I made a cell and added refs until it would trigger the crash consistently upon entering a custom worldspace (shows loading screen and just before it has to render the world, it crashes to desktop). It didn't crash going from the worldspace to the interior though. As soon as I flipped the ESM flag and changed the extension, the crashing stopped and could not be reproduced.

Edited by Ez0n3

What Tambo is saying is that you can't modify skyrim.esm with an esm.

In world designing field means that you can't add an entrance to your new dungeon in a vanilla worldspace.

It works if you have created both ext and int.

...I made a cell and added refs until it would trigger the crash consistently upon entering a custom worldspace (shows loading screen and just before it has to render the world, it crashes to desktop). It didn't crash going from the worldspace to the interior though. As soon as I flipped the ESM flag and changed the extension, the crashing stopped and could not be reproduced.

Making a cell is fine. The OP did not make a cell, he altered the Proudspire Manor cell, which is part of Skyrim.esm. Anything that's moved in the esp, will not be moved if the esp is made into a .esm file. Added items should show up fine, but moving a wall and replacing it with a doorway, will not show ingame. The added doorway will be there, but so will the original wall.

Edited by Tamb0

@Tambo: so you're saying that if i add an entrance to my dungeon in a existing cell it isn't considered as "altered"?

Placing references on vanilla cells isn't "altering"?

I'm really interested. I'm writing a story-mod and always in troubles when working in team on the same file. I haven't used the esm trick cause i though that the entrances to my custom dungeons will cause issues!