AMD Expert required! Please!

Radford

Hello all.

I'm really sorry if this is treading old ground but I've been searching everywhere and I'm stumped. This is killing me.

Are you and AMD expert? If so please READ ON and give me some clue!

I'm new to AMD cards and out-of-the-box my custom PC ran Skyrim perfectly. A 6790 card with full everything (AA x 16, Ultra etc...) I made no note of the driver version because everything was sweet.

Then I upgraded the drivers as suggested by Catalyst and now: Ruined. (Version 12.4 - even though it only ever says 12.3) Completely unplayable, as if using a £10 GPU from the local market. The game takes several minutes to load up and is choppy as anything. Utterly unplayable. It makes NO difference if I change the settings in the AMD Control Center or those in Skyrim itself.

I have tried:

1) Uninstalling ALL mods - No change.

2) Verifying Game Cache - No change.

3) Completely reinstalling Skyrim - No change.

4) Rolling back to previous driver - No change.

However, (now it starts to get fun) If I use Windows Uninstall and remove the AMD Control Center (and everything else) the game will run. It loads in a few seconds (like it used to) and looks good. But I get the grey/black speckling that was a problem with earlier drivers. (If you're and AMD expert you should know what I mean - weird blocky noise that was supposedly fixed by newer drivers.)

Now I DON'T have the Catalyst Center installed but yet surely I must have some kind of driver? Skyrim runs (with speckles), Battlefield runs, Bulletstorm runs, The Witcher 1 and 2 runs, Mass Effect 3 runs etc...

However, web browsing is slow and choppy (signifying an out-of-date-driver) and I get random lines on text on websites.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Every AMD driver from 11.9 to 12.4 results in complete slowdown of skyrim, but has no effect on any other games.

Uninstalling Catalyst etc makes Skyrim playable but with the blocky glitches caused by enabling Ambient Occlusion.

I can get round this issue somewhat by Uninstalling AMD Control Center and using an ENB config to provide the SSAO, meaning I can play Skyrim on a high detail level and without glitches, however, the driver is still out of date and web pages frequesntly crash, go black and appear choppy.

I've been all over the net so far and just cannot figure out the problem. I KNOW the fix if out there because three days ago everything was PERFECT! I just need someone with some technical smarts to give me a hand.

I'm close to begging now :(

I will try to provide as much info as I can upon request.

Thanks, community!

Chris

I hear often that the xfire thing cause problems for skyrim, i rly dont know cause my ati 4770 is single chip and work nice in high settings with the last patch, also maybe u wanna try the beta check this link.

Cheers o/

BTW if u rly wanna desinstall the drivers ur gonna need to clean the registry too.

I hear often that the xfire thing cause problems for skyrim, i rly dont know cause my ati 4770 is single chip and work nice in high settings with the last patch, also maybe u wanna try the beta check this link.

Cheers o/

BTW if u rly wanna desinstall the drivers ur gonna need to clean the registry too.

Thanks for the info! I'm not Crossfired though, single GPU only. Registry I've not tried (and am not sure how to without Googling...)

... Registry I've not tried (and am not sure how to without Googling...)

The (free) registry cleaner utility I use is called CC Cleaner. Pretty popular program, seems to work like a charm. Easy to find a D/L via googlin'.

Wish I knew more about hardware and could help you out. If you can't find an answer here, maybe try posting at the 3d Guru or Extreme Systems forums ("XS" as its more popularly known). I used to frequent those forums quite a bit, there's some real hardware wizards on both of 'em. (Not to say there aren't any here... I'm sure there are. Just a suggestion to get help asap for what sounds like a very annoying problem.)

Okay. So it's taken a while but I'm breathing normally again...

First off, thanks for the reg cleaning software!

To fix this issue I eventually had to...

1) Uninstall ALL my AMD drivers, Catalyst and the Control Center.

2) Run a full reg clean up.

3) Completely uninstall Skyrim and all mods.

4) Download the latest AMD driver and CCC from AMD's website.

5) Then UNINSTALL everything to do with AMD EXCEPT the drivers. (No more Catalyst and no more Vison Control Center.)

6) Skyrim now actually runs better than before and I have no issues with any other game or basic display.

I have absolutely NO idea why this works and by now simply cannot be bothered to investigate.

I really hope this doesn't happ to anyone else and if anyone does feel like enlightening me I'd be happy to learn!

Anyway, thanks!

(Back to how it should look!)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/imageshare/images/2357558-1338594451.jpg

Some times the registry can be messed, so thats why u should always clean the reg after uninstall anything(theres even special tools for the video drivers cant recall the names rnow, mostly cause i clean my reg in the ancient way, by hand xD) glad that the game is working again.