On Diablo 3

Tamujiin

A) Only part of that was understood fully.

B)Although the Witch Doctor has attacks taken from previous classes, he is still a new class. Never before in the history of gaming have we seen a class that is a hybrid of Necromancer and Druid. Okay, we may have, but this is different. He is not a necromancer that multiclassed to druid, nor is he a druid that multiclassed to necromancer. He clearly had skills from both classes from the very beginning. It's sort of like when paladin became a class for the first time. He wasn't a warrior who had multiclassed to spellcaster/cleric or a spellcaster/cleric that had multiclassed to warrior....it was a new class altogether.

C) As for those firebombs.....he's got no assassin in him. The fireballs are just his because he needed on more awesome thing to do. They're not potions, by the way.....just fire spirits he summons.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A) Only part of that was understood fully.

B)Although the Witch Doctor has attacks taken from previous classes, he is still a new class. Never before in the history of gaming have we seen a class that is a hybrid of Necromancer and Druid. Okay, we may have, but this is different. He is not a necromancer that multiclassed to druid, nor is he a druid that multiclassed to necromancer. He clearly had skills from both classes from the very beginning. It's sort of like when paladin became a class for the first time. He wasn't a warrior who had multiclassed to spellcaster/cleric or a spellcaster/cleric that had multiclassed to warrior....it was a new class altogether.

C) As for those firebombs.....he's got no assassin in him. The fireballs are just his because he needed on more awesome thing to do. They're not potions, by the way.....just fire spirits he summons.

Only understood partly... :confused: I think semantics are a problem when discussing these kind of things.

I agree with what your saying.

My point was that I'm on about something unique, new to the Diablo world maybe but not to RPG's. I'm sure theres a witch doctor class been done somewhere, I'm just expecting Blizzard to come out with a class not done before in the entire world of RPGs.

He clearly had skills from both classes from the very beginning
He's skills are so similar to the assassins firebomb (that grenade like throw). The animations look like its very much the same. I know he uses spirits instead of a grenade thingy for his firebomb. I agree that's great as it brings out the character in him like Blizzard wanted.

I'm also saying that potions of some sort would also to the trick as he has "jungle" like elements to him.

For some odd reason, I get the feeling the 'Mp' will not stand for 'magic points' or 'mana points' with this Witch Doctor guy. I just associate his magic with 'mojo points' . Heh heh, mojo points.

I've never seen a character quite like the Witch Doctor before.....I've characters with some similar traits to him, but they only shared, at most, 1/3 of his skills. It's like he's some sort of chimera. And to distinguish the difference between a chimera and a hybrid:

A hybrid is like when you breed 2 different types of dogs.

A chimera is when you stick part of an animal's body on another animal.

For some odd reason, I get the feeling the 'Mp' will not stand for 'magic points' or 'mana points' with this Witch Doctor guy. I just associate his magic with 'mojo points' . Heh heh, mojo points.

I've never seen a character quite like the Witch Doctor before.....I've characters with some similar traits to him, but they only shared, at most, 1/3 of his skills. It's like he's some sort of chimera. And to distinguish the difference between a chimera and a hybrid:

A hybrid is like when you breed 2 different types of dogs.

A chimera is when you stick part of an animal's body on another animal.

Now I'm confused :confused: LOL

Chimera? You mean the witch doctor's look or overall character? So you're saying that he's has two halfs that make up one whole (himself) if you get what I mean (yin/yang), or am I making the matter worse. And that these animals represent his character or his skills?

Ok really David do you only read half the message or are you half-blind?

A WD is like a Chimera 'cause he is a combo of many things yet his own class

A chimera is a combo of many creatures yet its own creature

You gettin' it now?

But a chimera hybrid nonetheless.

Let me explain...

Well I was right about my first and second post in the way that Marcus Wolfe saying that he's skills are a mix of the previous characters (parts of animals as Marcus Wolfe said). He simply describes it oddly. Leading me at 7.45AM in the morning to figure out what he's saying when I'm half asleep and we've already covered that ground.

So in essence Marcus Wolfe says the same thing IMO, breeding two dogs, you get a hybrid, same as a chimera (a hybrid where the two animals are combined e.g. lion + snake = hybrid, labelled chimera), so WD's skills or look come from a merging of several different classes skill's to form this (possibly) new class. But the WD is just a hybrid in my eyes.

So I'm correct, being "yes" to my questions.

Its like my martial art, Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee, Dan Insanto (his student) said that you don't take a little bit of Karate, Wing Chun, Boxing then throw in some Tai Chi, you take the essence them (why they are good).

Then make your martial art your own unique creation, now there are only a few ways to throw a jab without calling it or classifying or labelling it as a different punch.

Same goes with classes of an RPG game...

Bruce Lee stated "unless there are different human beings with four arms and three legs, there will never be a different form of fighting.".

If we then go with that logic, we come to this....

And a paladin is more like a hybrid, because it's 2 classes merged into one, as opposed to the Witch Doctor, who is his own class with skills of other classes.

This IMO says the same thing,

2 classes merged into one
, now in the WD's case
is his own class with skills of other classes
is the same.

A paly I'd describe as a hybrid....

warrior + healer = cleric

warrior + light magic? = paly

IMO two sides of the same coin.

Because only if Blizzard adds a truly "not seen before" skills in RPG gaming will that class be new, unique and fresh (there is no in-between merging or mashing), so even with a couple of skills taken from other classes they would become a hybrid, just a little more extended (branched out) then the previous classes.

It doesn't matter how many classes the WD takes from, thats why his spirit-bomb skill looks like the assassin's firebomb and his zombie wall is just the necro's bonewall.

Therefore, in my case two half's of one whole making one, Marcus Wolfe & your case, described his skills as a chimera (half lion half snake).

Let me put it simpler for you....I see it as "1" overall, you see it as "1+1 = 2", in my case for martial arts logic its "1", yin/yang, one and the same thing as previously talked about.

Glad that this is now cleared up. So I'm not half-blind, I can just see the picture more clearly then you can.

@Moderator's: I thought inkheart449's kind of talk wasn't tolerated on this forum anyway?

Maybe I should be more clear on my metaphor.

A hybrid is like crossing a lab with a St.Bernard. The resulting dog will have some of the traits of a lab, some of the traits of the St. Bernard and some traits that are average of the two breed's traits (like size)

The paladin is a hybrid. He has traits of both classes he came from.

A chimera is crossing two creatures the could never reproduce. Like a lion and a snake. Unlike a hybrid, which has randomized equal traits from both origins, a chimera gets to pick and choose. And a chimera can get whatever it wants. Even if it means having three heads, and/or a snake for a tail. A hybrid is the average of the powers combined to make it, maybe a little more. But a chimera is the sum of their powers.

The Witch Doctor is a Chimera. He's a druid that summons expendable pets. He's a necromancer that summons minions with which he takes care. And he's more.

Archived