On Diablo 3

Tamujiin

Maybe I should be more clear on my metaphor.

A hybrid is like crossing a lab with a St.Bernard. The resulting dog will have some of the traits of a lab, some of the traits of the St. Bernard and some traits that are average of the two breed's traits (like size)

The paladin is a hybrid. He has traits of both classes he came from.

A chimera is crossing two creatures the could never reproduce. Like a lion and a snake. Unlike a hybrid, which has randomized equal traits from both origins, a chimera gets to pick and choose. And a chimera can get whatever it wants. Even if it means having three heads, and/or a snake for a tail. A hybrid is the average of the powers combined to make it, maybe a little more. But a chimera is the sum of their powers.

The Witch Doctor is a Chimera. He's a druid that summons expendable pets. He's a necromancer that summons minions with which he takes care. And he's more.

Oh I agree completely with his skills being a sum or total rather than an average.

Its still a mix of classes, druid and necro....Blizzard get to pick his traits or skills, Blizzard can give WD whatever they want, its just slightly repeating history IMO.

Check out these wiki links...both are hybrids IMO maybe not for you but they are for me.

Hybrid creatures

Hybrid_(mythology)

Chimera is listed....

Myth Hybrid

In your case a WD skills are described like the sum of a combination of animals that make up a chimera.

power animal

I rest my case, as we are both right in our own ways.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing new on the classes but... I checked a few days ago and the official D3 forums weren't open yet, and now there's 8 pages of posts. :ohmy:

I just spotted an interesting post about PvP... it looks like they're separating out PvP from PvM games. :happy:

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?f...amp;#post340776

EDIT:

Ooooh! I just found an interview that is a very interesting read:

http://www.blizzard.com/blizzcast/archive/episode5.xml

...and it includes information on lots of stuff including inventory management, muling, and... this: ;)

Bashiok: So, from my viewpoint, probably from a lot of people's viewpoint, the announcement was extremely positive. But it seems like a lot of the Diablo II players, or at least the hardcore Diablo II players want to see the necromancer come back or perhaps other classes coming back. Obviously, the barbarian's one of the ones you're bringing from Diablo II. What are your generally feelings on bringing classes back the previous games?

Jay Wilson: Well, for the core game, you know, the kind of initial release of Diablo III, we really want to establish our own identity, like we don't want to just remake Diablo II or Diablo I, we want to provide a unique game experience for people. So, on that front we're really only going to consider bringing back classes that we feel we can improve-the necromancer is an awesome class, actually my favorite class, from Diablo 2, and the class I'm currently playing the most of- its not that we just dislike him, he love the necromancer, but part of his, you know, the issue we have is, he was so well-designed, I mean, you've got your corpse explosion, you've got your skeleton sum, pets and you know, hordes of those guys running around and killing things, you've got curses, like, it's across the board a very well-designed class and there's certainly some things we could do a little differently, but do we feel like we can make him so much better, and change his core gameplay experience. If anything, we'd say we really don't want to, like he plays too well. Whereas with the barbarian, we really looked at the class and he's cool but he could be a lot cooler and he could have a lot more that he does, over the previous game. So, you know, that's why the necromancer is not being seen. A lot of people have looked at the witch doctor and said “oh, the witch doctor is so similar to the necromancer, he's not going to be there, there's no chance for the necromancer ever.” I wouldn't go that far, we are trying to make sure that the witch doctor, while he has a lot of similarities is very different overall. One of the core differences is that the witch doctor is very attack oriented- people remember back to the gameplay video, almost all the monsters that got taken out were taken out by the witch doctor, not by his pets. So that's kind of a key difference between him and the necromancer, is that the necromancer was very often, his pets were critical to his damage output, whereas the witch doctor uses his pets as a distraction and a utility. So we try to keep them different that there's the possibility down the road, but that would maybe be an expansion or something like that after we felt like we've kind of established core Diablo III game. That being said, I wouldn't expect, I would tell people not to expect any other Diablo II or Diablo I classes appear you, know, in the exact same form that they did- if we did bring back another class it would be a radical change.

:cool: Shame about the necro though, I guess WD is that nearest representation of him.

I have no doubt that they will bring out an expansion in due time, I'm wondering what they'll other classes they'll include in it other than any refinements and concludsions from the results of DIII.

Also wondering what the sorceress classes are going to be like in DIII, the spells should be an eyecandy treat with many cool physics applied. :D

Concerning the classes.....

They brought back the Barbarian class from Diablo II (in fact, they brought back the SPECIFIC Barbarian back from Diablo II), but that's because there was no substitute for a Barbarian when it came to a pure Close Combat Class. Thing is, we won't even recognize the other classes.

I predict that (Barbarian excluded) all of the classes in Diablo III will be unlike anything we've seen before. Have you ever seen a class that remotely resembles the Witch Doctor before? I'll bet you haven't.

With all that experience from the previous Diablo games, not to mention WoW, I think that Blizzard has had time to come up with some new class ideas. And they are going to break every mold in the factory (except for the Barbarian, because let's face it, he's a timeless classic), melt them down, and make molds that will shock and surprise everyone.

In fact, these classes will be some new, all attempts to predict them will be null.

Actually, they brought back the Barb because they believe he could have been done better... that he was not the perfect purely brute force class (according to an interview I read somewhere). I personally like the Barb in D2, and if they improve on that I'll be a happy camper indeed. There's just an extra visceral feeling that no other class has duplicated, and from the gameplay movie I'm hopefull that feeling will still be there.

As it stands now, I'll definitely play a Barb before trying the WDoc, but I'm holding off on deciding my first class until I know more. There might just be something (as yet unannounced) that can catch my attention enough to be #1.

Archived