On Diablo 3

Tamujiin

Uh-uh. Monks are never good in close combat*. They're the definitive healing class.

*Except for Asian monks. They can usually kick ass in close range combat.

PS Learn to use a sig.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PS Learn to use a sig.

i think you better explain... i like my sig the way it is... i feel a bit insulted because of that comment Marcus Wolfe

Col John Sheppard

Uh-uh. Monks are never good in close combat*. They're the definitive healing class.

*Except for Asian monks. They can usually kick ass in close range combat.

PS Learn to use a sig.

There is a significant difference between a cleric and a monk. Technically neither of them are frail, worthless things if you use most of the common versions of them. It's really only in the FF series, and some other console RPGs that clerics are painted as solely being a healer. In D&D, a cleric, although still specialized for healing, can still be quite effective in close combat, and depending on level and what spells are memorized can hold their own against powerful foes. The monk concept was introduced as a more combat specialized cleric, giving up armor and some spells for innate AC and some feats. Now while this isn't D&D, D&D has been the basis for most class based RPGs.

Technically, a pute healing class would be next to useless in Diablo with all the potion chugging, health stealing, and what have you. Anyone who's played a FOH paladin in D2 knows how that sort of thing just outright sucks and provides little help in the long run. Besides, between the Witch Doctor and whatever mage class is chosen, there are enough characters around who can't really take a beating. And if the assassin were included, which it probably will be since the voice of the woman in the trailer is the same voice as the assassin, it would meet the criteria for having a close combat high damage class. If the Paladin were to return, it would fill the only sort of support role which was needed. So, going from the usual setup, all that's left would be a mage type class, and a bow type class. Maybe a return of the rogue, or the inclusion of a ranger class (bows + animals = fun) but really all of this is meaningless speculation and they probably had their decisions on this finalized over a year ago.

Regardless of whether the healing class will be cleric, monk, or both, it will still be provided with abilities that allow it to kick ass. With blessings of the gods, monks can smite the zombies from afar, will the cleric can pummel them from close range. It would be interesting, though, if they did create a class that could perform exorcisms for 1 hit deaths on the undead, as well as weaken activated cultists back to their unpossessed state.

Dude, EVERY character is going to be overpowered. Didn't you watch the first part of the Barbarian gameplay sample? The guy said their motto was 'There is no such thing as too much power'.

:wallbash:

I think that it has been clearly established that the Witch Doctor is going to replace the Necromancer. Perhaps it is best if you think of the Witch Doctor as Necromancer 2.0.

:wallbash:

I think that it has been clearly established that the Witch Doctor is going to replace the Necromancer. Perhaps it is best if you think of the Witch Doctor as Necromancer 2.0.

we don't know that so we cant really dismiss it, the game is still in its build phase so lets just wait and not make anymore assumptions

Col John Sheppard

Assumptions? Look, I read on the website that, Barbarian and Witchdoctor inclusive, that there were going to be only 5 classes. So, it would make sense that the Witch Doctor would replace the Necromancer because the similarities between the two would make the Necromancer redundant.

Archived