GPU Code 43'd

So, hears the story...

While playing a game, my screen suddenly seized up and blacked out. When I restarted the computer the loading screen was covered in funky dots and the resolution reset. So immediately go to the device manager and it shows a code 43 on my 9800gt driver. Just to be sure, I uninstall then reinstall the latest drivers and still get nothing. Then, to be double sure, I uninstall and install earlier drivers and still get nothing. I doubted any of this would work since it only happened while playing a game and NOT after an update but I was confused on one particular matter... so I humbly present these questions to you:

- How do I even see anything on the screen if my GPU just bit the dust?

- Is this normal for a dead GPU?

- Could it possibly be something else I'm missing?

- Is it even possible for a dust free GPU to just die when not under full load or even being that hot?

Your learned knowledge in this field would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

p.s.

I know my GPU was an old fart with one foot in the grave. I'm just not financially ready to upgrade yet but I was looking at either this or this

Your intel CPU most likely has an integrated GPU on it. I believe the CPU is also capable of rendering basic images to get you to the display screen and such. Actually I am sure it is otherwise how you would get into the bios of a computer with a broken or unresponsive GPU?

A quick google search says that error code 43 in windows means a program or hardware is no longer responding. Your GPU has most likely bit the dust. Sorry, but if this is the case there is nothing you can do but replace it.

Well I have some bad news for you, Your GPU is dead.

The 9800gt has a well known problem with the solder that connects the chip to the PCB. When you use the card it cycles between hot and cold the connection between the chip and PCB starts to crack and the card fails like you described. All card in the 8800/9800 series have this defect.

You can revive it by baking it in the oven. there are instructions for that on several forums.

Of the new cards the first is superior. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-DualLink-DisplayPort-Graphics-012-P3-2066-KR/dp/B0069RZ0LW/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/benchmarks/6/3d-chips

A radeon 7850 would also be a good choice

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600286767%20600298542&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%207850

Edited by Erik005

Thanks for your input Erik!

The oven thing is interesting but I think I might as well leave the old boy to die in peace rather than desecrate the corpse. I was looking into upgrading anyway so I might as well slink on by with the integrated graphics until I do. I've already got a new power supply in the bag anyway and I figure I'll stick with Nvidia since they've served me so well in the past. The higher price is worth it, I think.

Kudos given to both of you, thanks for your experienced input! Sometimes it just helps to have others confirm your suspicions :sweat:

Edited by TheFourthHorse

Well you say money is a little bit tight right now, the oven method might give it another couple months.

What are the rest of your specs right now?

Edited by Erik005

Running on an Intel G33 chipset and Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 with 6 gigs of RAM.

The CPU is still holding up well despite being over shadowed by other more powerful ones on the market like your own and I never peak on RAM so I have not bothered to upgrade to 8. The only two things I need to replace besides the GPU are my inadequate 400 watt PSU and my DVD/CD drive which crapped out on the CD half.