Who are the "Good Guys" in this war?

kaindjinn

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which faction should I join?

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not to like and admire about Balgruuf?

Balgruuf is one of the few jarls who seems deeply devoted to his people and is not wrapped up in concerns for his own prestige, reputation, or safety. He's a very straight-forward kind of guy, loyal to those he considers friends, and he shows respect for you from the first. Later he honors you, takes pains to advise you regarding the Graybeard summons, and, in the end, is willing to trust you with the welfare of his people even though he considers your scheme to trap a dragon to be nuts. He considers you a friend and is hurt if you end up with the Stormcloaks. He isn't in the least corrupt, and is firm and decisive when he finally gets tired of Wormtongue ... I mean Proventius ... always advising him to be passive and do nothing.

If only I could talk to him and convince him that his decision to support the Empire is wrong. Skyrim needs more jarls like him, particularly if the Stormcloaks win. He, like Dengir, is not a slavish follower of Ulfric's personality cult, and would be able to stand up to Ulfric later if the need arises. In fact, he would probably be the best choice for High King in an independent Skyrim, better able to put Skyrim back on an even keel after the rebellion than Ulfric and his abrasive "with us or against us" crap.

Hey folks! Hope everyone is doing well. I would love to play Skyrim or argue for a bit however, my house is well, virtually under water at the moment AND I now am the proud owner of some lake-front property.. I did however, get to McDonald's last night :) Later! Edited by bigmagy1981

Hey folks! Hope everyone is doing well. I would love to play Skyrim or argue for a bit however, my house is well, virtually under water at the moment AND I now am the proud owner of some lake-front property.. I did however, get to McDonald's last night :) Later!

Well, that is quite unfortunate. I wish you the best in your situation.

Edited by Ahtilah

The imperials are the only thing stopping the thalmor from wiping the floor with skyrim, the minute they leave, the thalmor will march in and blow stuff up. The thalmor know Titus mede is a good tactition (despite being a bit of a corrupt f@&#!t), he took the imperial city with a handful of men with almost no casualties, so they made the civil war to weaken the empire, Titus will have to little men to actually fight back, so they would win... but only if this civil war goes on. The empire is secretly preparing to fight the thalmor again (I interpreted this from several in game dialouge pieces from several imperials), but the stormcloaks are getting in the way. Don't get me wrong, the stormcloaks are right as well, the imperials shouldn't give up their gods, but it was what was needed (Plus ulfric is kind of cool, but he broke under torture, he started this war under instructions of the thalmor, according to documents found inside the thalmor embassy, the talos ban wasn't actually widely upheld until the fighting began!)

The stormcloaks need to usurp their leader and come to a proper deal with the imperials, because Ulfric is saving his own skin from shame, not skyrim.

In my opinion, skyrim should stay with the empire, talos worship should not be banned, and a joint stormcloak/empire alliance should crush the thalmor! (the thalmor remind me of nazis)

I hope the next elder scrolls game will have something about destroying the thalmor involved, because they are nazi pricks who need to be destroyed before we have a final solution style genocide against all non elves (They believe Elves are superior in the same way the Nazi's believed the Aryan race was superior, and while they seem to hate humans less that the nazis hated jews, I'm sure this is only a facade, wasn't Anaco a thalmor? And didn't he try to destroy everyone in the college of winterhold and do something like take over the world with the power of the eye of magnus?)

^Your entire argument has already been disproven. Read the topic(s) please.

Yes, he should read the topic. Most definitely. However, his entire argument has not necessarily been disproven. Although indeed, in a way the Empire is the only thing standing in the way of the Dominion. Perhaps other forces such as the Argonians could take on the Dominion, I agree. However, it is accurate to claim the Empire is the only thing standing in the way of the Dominion, because of the WGC. Or rather the WGC is the only thing standing in the way of the Dominion. Indeed, the WGC is holding them back for now but was, I believe unnecessary. Now as for TM2 had to do this or that, then no. You're right on the money. TM2 had options and he chose poorly. Or did he? I dunno. I keep thinking there's something else we're overlooking from that. Like what I was saying about the Thalmor just letting Hammerfell go. TM2 did say that he personally thinks worshiping Talos was a mistake, but that his opinion. Maybe it was just about him. Oh well. What matters most is what is done now. I would think if the WGC got us into this mess, then in some way it would be through the WGC we get out of it. Like if you're bitten by a snake which has locked on to you. You can't simply pull your arm out without ripping it to shreds. You have to grab that snake, reach deeper inside of it, and unhooks the fangs from you arm.

Can't wait for Dawnguard.

Edited by bigmagy1981

@Brutii

You mention about Ulfric starting the war by being instructed, which is false. All of the things that he has done that has helped the Thalmor was never intentional, even if anything has benefited them. He remains to be a good asset as long as he fuels the Civil War and it continues for a long length of time. But in the Dosiier it also mentions an short victory is something they do not want.

"A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed. "

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Thalmor_Dossier%3A_Ulfric_Stormcloak

He may have been 'broken' but he didn't give much to them, and during the time of his interrogation he was most likely a young adult(Since the interrogation happened 25 years or more in the past, and it mentions being the son of the Jarl at the time)

But also many people assume that even if the Stormcloaks win, the Empire falls inevitably. But just because the Stormcloaks win, doesn't mean Ulfric will be High King, which would mean he is the Seat of Power to Skyrim. The moot has not been made yet, so no decision upon it has been made. Much has been overthrown in the War, Balgruuf is locked away, but not out for the count.

So it is still not yet safe to assume that the Stormcloak victory means they will not be allied with the Empire. They may not be part of it, but it doesn't mean they won't face the AD together. Unless of course Ulfric is High King.(Or Ulfric will surprise us)

In all honesty, I don't think choosing either side is going to make a difference. It was naive of me to think that choosing one or the other would spell 'doomsday' and I now see that. I think whichever side is chosen, in the end, is a matter of which one you like more. And that whatever choice you make, still comes out a win somehow. If this were a game where what you do made a difference, then I would think differently, but Bethesda has never stated it was to make any impact. And so it has led me to believe that it is just about where you 'fit' not which one spells 'doomsday'.

Edited by Ahtilah

However, it is accurate to claim the Empire is the only thing standing in the way of the Dominion,

Except I have already proven that the Dominion wouldn't have had the resources required to completely take out the Empire after the Great War (because they clearly couldn't even take one province, very much less 4 at once) and that they still wouldn't have had the resources even 30 years down the line (as the way the Altmer behave and the situations in both Elsweyr (which hasn't and in all liklihood isn't going to ever give the Dominion troops) and Valenwood (which is being constantly purged of substantial parts of its population) don't allow for such a quick recovery). So its not accurate at all. The Empire stands in the way of nothing.

The WGC only bought the Empire time that it didn't need while at the same time giving the Dominion full freedom to completely undermine the Empire's efforts (not to mention silently kill off a lot of the population. Namely a part of the population that would be easily predisposed towards fighting damned hard for the Empire), if it even has made an effort in the past 30 years.