Dark Souls Review/News

Rennn

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say that fire bombs work against the Taurus demon for melee players. Whatever you do, if you sit up on the tower for too long, he will jump up there with you. That is not good.

It is in fact possible to roll between his legs- I managed it once or twice. Also, when he swings, try rolling back towards his weapon. The greater net velocity means that the weapon is over you for a shorter time, increasing the chance that it'll pass harmlessly over you during your brief period of dodge immunity.

Btw, no, Dark Souls does not require near a $500 card to run. My 6770 is an $80 card, and it runs it smoothly at 1600x900. The most I ever get os a 1-2 fps drop when a new area is being loaded, and that's because my cpu is hitting the wall.

Edited by Aegrus

never said you needed a 500 card to run dark souls. anything can run it but it will still have some FPS drop on any card. dont believe me use dragon crystal breath. use fraps near any water, fire or crystal effect. this is why they limited it to 30 fps. 60 fps and the drops would be wayyyyyyy more noticeable. im also using the mod as i could never go back to the scaled 720p rez

my single 560ti, no SLI support (not it would be able to use it) is pretty much on idle the whole time

Do you mean that 30 fps is slow-mo, or do you drop below 30 fps? Because if you can run Skyrim ultra, you should easily be able to run Dark Souls, capped at 30, at at least 1600x900. I say this because my pc can't even run Skyrim at ultra without tons of stutter and frame rates jumping wildly from 10-40 (and I only play it at 1600x900), but Dark Souls is pretty much always 30 fps for me.

Mine seems less that 30fps. I'll have to check what its running at but it just seems weird. It could just be my computer acting up. (I run Skyrim in 1600x900, the only performance problem I have is in Riften. Which I don't understand) I've noticed my computer will run some games on the highest settings and then games that aren't as good won't run at the highest settings without problems. My computer is 7 years old so I have to give it some slack. (The processor is most likely the problem. Which is why I hope to be getting something new soon)

About that weird fps drop in seemingly barren areas (which I also get)... I think I found the issue a couple months ago. I was tweaking some vanilla ruins for a mod in an exterior cell. I grabbed one of the pillars Bethesda had stuck in the ground, moved it, and realized there was a whole ruin attached underground. There was no door, and no way in. There was just a whole ruin sitting below the ground because Bethesda wanted to show the pillars above ground. I looked around, and there were at least three of these undergound ruins in the area, all of which had only a couple pillars above ground. Bethesda cut polygons from the rocks and made them look like octagons, meanwhile some other guy on the dev team was busy sticking whole ruins of 20,000+ polygons underground because they were too lazy to simply cut off the pillars as a new object in a meshing program.

Wow. I was building a random house mod in one of those locations where there are just pillars and stuff (no map marker, just the random pointless ruins) and never realized they were like that. I looked and I do see what you were talking about.

I tried rolling between his legs but I couldn't do it. I'm just not used to a controller I guess, I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Thanks for the hint. :)

Lol I can't roll between his legs either. I managed to do the dropping thing three times and then got caught between him and the tower. :tongue:

Edited by K00L

The pc edition jumped from a user score of 6.9 to 3.6 on Metacritic in less than a day. This is highly suspicious, considering that it was incrementing by margins of one or two tenths of a point before this, and was just about to hit 7. I'm not going to go so far as to claim with certainty that an admin on Metacritic decided to go on a crusade, but that's one hell of a big jump, and virtually all of the new bad ratings are without written reviews.

Also, tell me if these guys are multies? -_-

Score: 2

Worst port ever. Resolution is capped, FPS are capped, keyboard and mouse controls are a nightmare, video options are inexistant ... in general it make me feel like I'm playing on a PS2 emulator.

Score: 2

Bad port. No bindings for mouse, bugs and graphics flickers. From console developers to console boys. Resolution is capped, FPS are capped, keyboard and mouse controls are a nightmare, video options are inexistant ... I think is damn timemachine from Skyrim to dark 2005 ages

Notice that his grammar and half his sentence is identical between postings. (Resolution is capped, FPS are capped)

I HATE people like this. It really ****ing irritates me when people do things like this just because they think they're a special little butterfly who knows everything about anything.

Edited by Rennn

Just a heads-up to anyone who's unaware, Durante's resolution uncapper mod now includes the ability to automatically back up your saves so GFWL can't lose them, and it also makes it so that your mouse cursor can be hidden.

4 times GFWL has corrupted my saves, nice

:\ I haven't been able to play it since the last time I posted. GFWL was crashing Steam before Dark Souls could even start. Finally started working today.

i back up my saves so at worse i lost 3 hours.

also i spend my time PVP and sometimes when i press the xbox button(home) it crashes which sucks because i have to check messages to read about how im a douchebag or i have to send a message to call someone else a douchebag

fun times

love this game