Armorhunting (also known as "uah, where can I get this awesome arm

Dornick

Heyho, I don't know if this is the correct place for a question like this - if it's not, would be nice if somebody moved it for me :S

I'm looking for an armor, but the only clues I've got are "it's kind of a suit", "it's black" and "it's probably a HGEC-armor". Ha ha, yeah. That isolates the possible results enormous.

Well, summarized, I'm hoping for somebody who knows this armor by any chance: click me!

... and of course for someone who can tell me where I can get it or at least what it's called :s

Yeah, that's it! :D

The preview-pics don't match perfectly, but the "lighter" armor is in the same mod.

Thank you very much! :'D

Finally a reason to play the story-mode again :D

(And an additional question as the noob I am: is there a (simple) way to change it from heavy-armor to light-armor? O: )

In the construction set, open up the mod, expand the "Items" section in the object window, find the armor in the "Armor" section, double click the armor you want to change, and in the window that pops up, there should be a drop down that selects the armor as either light or heavy (next to the Weight setting).

Well, it would be easy if I knew what's going on, but I don't even know what OBSE does. Or how it works. Or anything else about it.

So basically there is no easy way to edit it AND get it ingame? :/

I tried to put the new parts in the old box, too. The construction set says "Yep, armor here, chest here", but it still won't show up :/

The trouble stems from the regular CS' inability to preserve dependence on ESP files. Only ESM files will be kept as masters once you save or load a plugin. CSE fixes that, so you can put items from one ESP into chests from another and they won't just be lost again once you save.

OBSE is the Oblivion Script Extender. It's working is pretty simple. You start it through the "obse_loader.exe" or other OBSE-aware means to start your game, this will hook into the game's DLLs and insert its new code, then close itself. Now the game's running with an expanded code set and many more and powerful scripting functions available than in Vanilla, until it's closed. It doesn't alter the files, only the code already loaded into memory. So you have to start your game via OBSE-aware means every time or OBSE's changes won't be present. Safe and clean.

To use OBSE functions in your scripts you'll have to also start the CS through "obse_loader.exe -editor", so it'll hook into the CS' DLLs and expand their code while the CS runs, enabling it to recognize and compile OBSE functions in scripts.

But that's not the only thing OBSE does. It also 'changes' the way some features or functions work, expands the maximum amount of code a script can have, the error checking on script save, and due to its ability to have "plugins" (DLLs to expand OBSE functionality, not the same as ESPs!) basically just about everything can be done or changed one way or another. This is what the CSE OBSE plugin does. It expands the CS yet further, fixes a lot of things, and among others enables you to have ESPs as masterfiles directly, without turning them into actual ESMs before load and back again after save (this is the traditional way, involves Wrye Bash's ESMify and ESPify feature).

OBSE itself is only a few files, the loader and DLLs, put into your Oblivion folder, and the game or CS started through the OBSE loader from then on.

OBSE plugins are simply DLLs put into "data/OBSE/plugins" (if I recall correctly) and OBSE will automatically detect and use them on next execution of the loader.

As for the traditional way without CSE, you'll have to turn the ESPs you're going to use as masters for your mod into ESMs via Wrye Bash's "right-click -> ESMify", then start the CS, checkmark the ESPs you want to use contents from but don't make them the "active" plugin, use their contents in your active plugin however you like, save, and turn the ESMs back into ESPs again via "right-click -> ESPify" in Wrye Bash. Both calls don't actually change the suffix of the files, just a simple boolean flag in the file header telling it's an ESP or ESM, so you won't notice any difference, but you can't load your plugin without its parents ESMified and you can't play the game afterwards without those parents ESPified back again before. It is not rocket science, but it's more tedious than simply using the CSE to begin with.