Message to Whiterun "glitch"

kevkiev

I've negotiated the truce at High Hrothgar and the Jarl of Whiterun is waiting to spring the dragon trap with me. But I then decided to go Stormcloak in the civil war, and would very much like to complete the rebellion before going to Skuldafn/ Sovengarde. (If I'm going to be responsible for her death, I'd like to see Rikke get into Sovngarde which I understand is only possible if she's dead when you get there. She's one of my favourite characters.)

However (for the 6th or more @$%*! time in my current game... #&*$#!.... #&*$!) I've run into a block in quest progression. I tried delivering Ulfric's axe to Balgruuf (the quest marker is sitting on top of his head), but no relevant dialogue appears - only the dragon trap stuff. I've read both that this was fixed way back with the 1.4 patch, and that it's a bug with no known fix. I'd spring the trap, but I've read in a few places that also prevents progress in the civil war. (My original plans was that, after the Stormcloaks took Whiterun, I'd just spring the trap with the new Jarl.)

If I were to do the "set stage" thing to progress the quest (I hate doing that, though I should be getting used to it... $#@*&!) so I can return to Ulfric with the Jarl's reply , does anyone know if I'd run into more problems? The quests in this game being so freakin' delicate as it is....

Alternatively, am I just not seeing something on how to complete the Civil War & MQ the way I set it out at the beginning of my post? I have a ton of saves going back to pre-High Hrothgar so I could backtrack if necessary.

Thanks.

kevkiev, unfortunately, it seems that SetStage command works only "forward". I've tried to set some quest stages "backward" (like to 20 when the stage was already 120) - it didn't work. :wallbash:

Sorry to disappoint you.

As far as I know, the truce can't be undone once you do it until you have finished the MQ. It just wouldn't make any sense to set up the trap with Balgruuf and then attack Whiterun. There isn't any way to have a truce and a war going on at the same time, and Vignar wouldn't be bound by any agreements that Balgruuf made with you. :) You can either have a truce or prosecute the war, but not both at once. The only way to get what you want is to avoid "Seasons Unending" by making sure the quest will never be offered.

If you want to complete the civil war before the MQ, you have to do it before the MQ gets as far as the peace conference, in which case the "Seasons Unending" quest never happens. Don't progress the MQ beyond "Elder Knowledge" before doing the "Battle for Whiterun". After the "Battle for Whiterun", Vignar will agree to the trap without demanding a truce, whether the civil war is fully complete or not. Rikke (or Ulfric, if you take the Imperial side) will be present in Sovngarde when you arrive if you fully complete the civil war before heading to Skuldafn.

Your safest way out would be to use any save you have from before doing "Alduin's Bane", so that you are never told to seek aid from the Jarl of Whiterun. Join the Stormcloaks, deliver the axe, conquer Whiterun, and then you can proceed as desired.

ok, thanks for the replies. I think I'll either go back to a much earlier save and avoid the truce altogether, or continue on and spring the trap and go to Skuldafn/Sovngarde to clear the way for Rikke though I won't be able to see her get in :sad:

Yeah, I guess attacking Whiterun while the truce is ongoing is a bit of a disconnect. :tongue:

ok, thanks for the replies. I think I'll either go back to a much earlier save and avoid the truce altogether, or continue on and spring the trap and go to Skuldafn/Sovngarde to clear the way for Rikke though I won't be able to see her get in :sad:

Yeah, I guess attacking Whiterun while the truce is ongoing is a bit of a disconnect. :tongue:

Sorry to say this but, you will not see her in Sovngarde. Because, if all the people you kill, would appear in Sovngarde, then when you

go there to defeat Alduin, Sovngarde would be full of people you killed.

Sorry to say this but, you will not see her in Sovngarde. Because, if all the people you kill, would appear in Sovngarde, then when you

go there to defeat Alduin, Sovngarde would be full of people you killed.

Interesting, have you tried that? I.E. completing the civil war for the stormcloaks before going to Skuldafn/ Sovengarde and then not being able to see her there?

I wouldn't expect everyone you kill to be there but, according to Wiki, Rikke is indeed waiting to get in (and does, once you defeat Alduin):

If you sided with the Stormcloaks in the civil war, Rikke will die at the end of the quest line. However, if she is dead by the time you reach Sovngarde as part of the Main Quest, you will encounter Rikke in the afterlife, sitting helpless on a rock in the mist outside the Hall of Valor, unable to find her way and seemingly scared of being consumed by Alduin. When you get near her she will sadly admit: "The bitter war of the world beyond was all for naught. We are all trapped in Alduin's web - for our allegiance he cares not, but devours us equally - doom unescapable. Shor as well - he welcomes all heroes to his kingly hall, if we could but reach it." You can do nothing but leave her behind and proceed to fight Alduin so her soul can find rest in Sovngarde. When Alduin has been defeated, the mist will disappear from Sovngarde and Rikke will get up to walk towards the Hall of Valor and thank you sincerely for lifting the curse of the world-eater.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Legate_Rikke

Yes, Rikke is in Sovngarde if you complete the civil war for the Stormcloaks before going there. If you complete it for the Imperials, Ulfric and Galmar are there. Torygg is there in any case, and Kodlak Whitemane is there if you have finished the Companion story line.

These are the only named NPCs I have ever seen there across five characters who have completed the main quest. (Oddly enough, I've never seen Svaknir, though Olaf is expecting him. I would have liked a word or two with him.) The rest are nameless "Stormcloak Soldiers" and sometimes an "Imperial Soldier". Named or nameless, though, they are all Nords. I have not seen a single non-Nord outside or inside the Hall of Valor.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...