Interactive candles/braziers etc

Silencer2079

Howdy,

I have been looking high and low for a very simple mod that just allows the player to interact with candles/braziers/campfires/torches that exist in the world, and turn them off and on.

There are a ton of candles/braziers etc in dungeons and so on that are unlit (or lit) - it would be nice to be able to change their state to add more/less light.

It seems no such mod exists - and no one has requested something like this since 2012. I have found Sneak Tools (which is generally known to be very buggy and is way more complex that I want), and Dynamic Fires (which is simple but only works with oldrim, and then only campfires).

Also Sneak tools involves shooting custom arrows to light/extinguish candles etc, and Dynamic Fires requires fire/frost spells to be used. Neither method really appeals to me.

I have unpacked and decompiled the scripts for both of these mods hoping I could figure out enough to make something, but I was a fool - with no background in scripting, understanding how to write something like this is beyond me.

But the script for Dynamic Fires seems relatively simple (barely 1 page long) so I thought it would be worth asking here if there was any interest in creating such a thing?

In it's simplest form you'd just walk up to it and use the action key, like any switch or lever.
As a more complex idea, you could have them activated by proximity of a lit torch held by the player (would be great for VR) - but if all I could get my hands on was a simple version I'd still be very happy.

I'm guessing from looking at the example mods above that some nifs are needed for the on/off states, but I'm sure I could ask permission to use the ones from those mods from their authors.

Thanks for reading, cheers!