are skyrim and bethesda trolling me

CrazyShadowDami

I can't believe Bethesda are still using this ancient piece of software

They use it for 2 reasons.

1) Gamebryo engine was made for static meshes to be displayed. I.E. Made for sandbox games. I.E. The Elder scrolls. Top end graphic engines wouldn't handle the rendering needed to render the vast world.

2) More and more pirate games. Bethesda does not got the money to start handing out money to get a better engine.

As of now we rely on modders modding out the non-optimized coding in the engine. Bethesda would get no benefit from doing it themself.

As of now we rely on modders modding out the non-optimized coding in the engine. Bethesda would get no benefit from doing it themself.

What gets me is they don't even seem to CARE about optimization. I've watched their creation kit tutorials up to about halfway through the Navmesh vid, which I believe is 5/10. They blatantly tell you to just ignore all the errors that pop up when you start the Creation Kit.

Then later you see how the entire world is assembled out of separately rendered 3d objects and they don't even bother to attempt to make them fit correctly... Ok. we have a hole right here in our level, so we're just going to stick a boulder here to plug the hole. Lets stick a few pillars into the wall to cover up these seems....

Then they go on to tell you not to worry if something is hanging outside a cell. As long as it isn't cutting across a nearby room, it's ok.

Excuse me?

It's ok to render extra objects that you'll never see in game? Talk about wasted processing.

I'm no computer expert, but it seems to me the old method that Duke Nukem and Doom used to use where you create the cell out of a system of nodes and then texture map it was a lot more efficient. At least there was no waste.

I've got a dual-core processor. QQ. /sadface. Also got 6GB's of RAM and a Nvidia GTX460 overclocked 1gb ddr5.

I have never, ever had any problems with gaming, I'm running all Call of Duty's on max settings and still getting 125fps. On CoD4 I can manage to get it over 200fps. Also running LotRO on nearly max settings with the high-res texture pack installed... but Skyrim? Nope. Runs terrible. Even without any mods installed.

Bethesda does not got the money to start handing out money to get a better engine

fyi, a link to an old discussion thread 'What do we know about the Game Engine?':

Contains a few insightful comments about the evolution of Gamebryo-Creation Engine (Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout3/Skyrim),

dx9-dx11/consoles, NIF modelling (NetImmerse)..

I think Bethesda is doing what they can to optimize things, but i agree its not perfect yet.

Just a friendly suggestion, anyone having issues with Skyrim performance/quality should look into/tweak their ini and gpu profile settings,

the default Skyrim install and display settings will not completely optimize the game for you,

PC's are not the same as static standardized console architecture.

Edited by xlcr