Textures revert to vanilla during gameplay

NeverlessWonder

I have an unusual issue, and nothing on Google is helping. When I start everything's perfect, but during gameplay without any warning, some things will revert to the vanilla look. The first time, I noticed it, it was the road signs. (I use Signposts Retextured)

The second time, it was the faces. (I use Westly's pluginless head and hair replacer) Also, bits of the land and scenery were missing around Balmora, such as the well and city gate.

I have the Steam GOTY, Overlay disabled. Warnings.txt is empty. I'm on Windows 10 and have a GeForce GTX960 and Intel i5 processor.

The only thing I can think of is a similar issue I experience in Skyrim. (The purple texture glitch). But I shouldn't be running out of VRAM on Morrowind right? I'm using MGSO + MGE XE + Rebirth. (Not sure how to post my load order so tell me how if you want to see it)

Edit: I went back and manually reinstalled the meshes and it's working now. Why were the meshes gone when they were working before? IDK

Crossing my fingers that no other issues pop up.

Edited by NeverlessWonder

It's also a very old game from a time when a Gigabyte of RAM was a lot. I would suspect system RAM more than VRAM. A more modern machine shouldn't run out, unless the program itself doesn't recognize more than a certain amount of memory. Many "semi-old" games have a 2Gb memory limitation, and if you've got a couple of utilities running in the background that use part if it, that's less for the program. Doesn't matter if you've got 8 or 16Gb, the program can only address the lowest 2. The solutions are to either disable any utilities chewing up RAM in the background, or to download a "large memory array aware" utility (there are lots of them, and most are free) that patches the .exe file to utilize 3Gb or 4Gb, depending on the utility. Run the utility, select the program, and click: done. That solved all sorts of crashing issues with Mount & Blade mods, as well as a couple of other games. Didn't run it on Morrowind, because the mods I use don't push it that hard. If it is VRAM related, you could try selecting a lower resolution and lower poly-count graphics mod, and see if it has the same problem.

It could also have something to do with Steam "fixing" your installation, and changing a registry value to look for the default graphics files instead of where you have the mods, but I dont do Steam myself so that's just a wild guess. Take it with the proverbial grain of salt, if not the entire shaker. I'd at least look into the Steam chat sections and see if anyone else has the same issues.

Edited by Kovax