Were did my dungion go?

sunshinex3

You need to change your folder options in Windows.

By default, Windows hides file extensions. You'll have to un-tick Hide file extensions for known file types.

Your backup file will actually be named Mymod.esp.BAK

Windows reads the file extension as the last 3 characters after the last dot. That's why you think your mod is named correctly, Windows is hiding the .BAK extension.

But if you're interested: Room Bounds and Portal Basics

yea room bounds sound like my problem! how ever i see no solution, so how do i change or interact with room bounds or is the portal my problem? You see when i go to my map all i see in the little box that shows me what i have put on the map is the trapdoor-latter that is the other end of the portal and a corner piece i don't remember putting their (it should be a dead end piece) but thats it ever thing else is gone... should be at least 50-60 pieces!

also

the rename doesn't work cuz the BAK file already has .esp on the end of it, but when i look in properties it's file type is .BAK.

The above post is correct about the .BAK file extension being hidden by windows etc. I'd forgotten about that but indeed that happens. I'm leaning away from thinking the roombounds are the issue by the way you describe it. The roombounds would cause the pieces to be invisible in game, but in the CK they should still be viewable if they are there regardless of roombound. In anycase you can, open the 'view' tab at the top, then open the 'Show/Hide' selection on the view list, and you will see checkboxes for various things there that you want to show or hide in the render window, like water, terrain, etc. One of those options will be what you need, I can't remember off the top of my head what it's called, I think portals are part of the title though. Either-way that is a handy tool to show/hide various things in the level, especially the roombounds. That said, I don't think it's your problem unfortunately:(( If indeed your work was not saved, hopefully the .bak file will allow you to go back to something close, even if that is not the case I wouldn't get too bummed out about it, I'm pretty sure there's not a modder out there that hasn't lost hours of work for some mistake or another at some time or another. I know I've done similar loss scenarios to myself on a number of occassions. I tend to go real slow on the 'make active' part now just to make sure I don't fall in that one anymore lol. I think my biggest loss was a single six hour session lost to simply not saving and then a CK crash. I personally didn't even know about the backups at that point so I just redid it all. It happens so don't beat yourself up over it!

finally i got the back up file to work, these are the steps i took

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

then i uncheck hide extensions box

went to properties of the backup file of my map, on the end of the name their was a .esp.bak i backspaced of the .bak

and then dragged the file into the data folder of skyrim

ty for the help... i hope i dont do it again.... it might of had some thing to do with me renaming the file if so that would suck.

• 8 months later...

sunshinex3, on 08 Jun 2012 - 07:49, said:

'Ghaunadaur', on 07 Jun 2012 - 19:56, said:

'sunshinex3', on 07 Jun 2012 - 19:35, said:

i would like to how to change the file format from .bak to .esp

also.... room bounds? were is that covered in the tutorial, is that were the doors are connected the teleport checkbox

Just rename it. Right-click --> Rename.

If you have no room bounds, then this will not be the cause of your problem.

yea room bounds sound like my problem! how ever i see no solution, so how do i change or interact with room bounds or is the portal my problem? You see when i go to my map all i see in the little box that shows me what i have put on the map is the trapdoor-latter that is the other end of the portal and a corner piece i don't remember putting their (it should be a dead end piece) but thats it ever thing else is gone... should be at least 50-60 pieces!

also

the rename doesn't work cuz the BAK file already has .esp on the end of it, but when i look in properties it's file type is .BAK.

Seriously dude, you need to read and watch some videos like the rest of us. You can't be hand held through 1,000 degree's of learning one point at a time. It's not easy and there is no way anyone is goingt to be able to hand it all to you. Forums like this are for questions that you cant answer in the normal path of learning.

http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Optimization go learn about optimization if you have room bound issues. I will say this.. you can just delete all the roombounds and portals (make sure you delete the portals too) but now the dungeon will lag out anyone who plays it if it's bigger than three rooms and has lots of stuff in it.

As far as the bak files.. that is how I found this post, and yeah just renaming the extension of the file to .esp didnt work for me either, dont know wtf she is talking about there. Every few hours I go into skyrim > data > mymod.esp /right click /copy / my documents / paste backups.

That way if I get a major corruption, i can go back. although I have to admit even that didnt work for me. The creation kit is shoddy piece of crap at best and you are putting all your work and time up in the air to be flushed down the ck toiliet everytime you dare pull the trigger and use it.

My advice, find a new hobby because this one is a great big waste of time. and whatever company made the ck is garbage, whoever made the navmesh system is garbage, and whoever signed on to keep them all at bethesda should be fired without benefits or severence because he obviously took a big kick back to make all the others fodder. GARBAGE.

See how this hobby makes you feel? Good luck to you :P

Edited by Hannibalektr

also.... room bounds? were is that covered in the tutorial, is that were the doors are connected the teleport checkbox

also

Seriously dude, you need to read and watch some videos like the rest of us...

Seriously dude, you need to read the dates on posts, before replying.

also

Seriously dude, you need to read and watch some videos like the rest of us...

Seriously dude, you need to read the dates on posts, before replying.

Dates or not, I found this through a search and others may come to find wrong answers here. I'm trying to help, you are trolling, so get a life and STFU and let the people who care write what they write.. ok with that? Nah didnt think so. Scrub.

Hannibalektr, on 03 Mar 2013 - 06:51, said:

Seriously dude, you need to read and watch some videos like the rest of us. You can't be hand held through 1,000 degree's of learning one point at a time. It's not easy and there is no way anyone is goingt to be able to hand it all to you. Forums like this are for questions that you cant answer in the normal path of learning.

http://www.creationk...al_Optimization go learn about optimization if you have room bound issues. I will say this.. you can just delete all the roombounds and portals (make sure you delete the portals too) but now the dungeon will lag out anyone who plays it if it's bigger than three rooms and has lots of stuff in it.

As far as the bak files.. that is how I found this post, and yeah just renaming the extension of the file to .esp didnt work for me either, dont know wtf she is talking about there. Every few hours I go into skyrim > data > mymod.esp /right click /copy / my documents / paste backups.

That way if I get a major corruption, i can go back. although I have to admit even that didnt work for me. The creation kit is shoddy piece of crap at best and you are putting all your work and time up in the air to be flushed down the ck toiliet everytime you dare pull the trigger and use it.

My advice, find a new hobby because this one is a great big waste of time. and whatever company made the ck is garbage, whoever made the navmesh system is garbage, and whoever signed on to keep them all at bethesda should be fired without benefits or severence because he obviously took a big kick back to make all the others fodder. GARBAGE.

See how this hobby makes you feel? Good luck to you

Hannibalektr, on 04 Mar 2013 - 03:54, said:

Dates or not, I found this through a search and others may come to find wrong answers here. I'm trying to help, you are trolling, so get a life and STFU and let the people who care write what they write.. ok with that? Nah didnt think so. Scrub.

You're try to help ???

What is your idea of help ???

Let's see.

You necro an eight month old thread that was "SOLVED" for the OP who followed the directions given to him. He even went on to post a detailed discription of the correct steps to take.

You come along and say that the information is wrong, when clearly it is correct.

Now, you may be ignorant of the way the Windows OS works, but don't assume that everyone is like yourself.

You stated in the earlier thread that the OP should avoid the forums and go watch some videos to learn how to use the CK.

The OP has every right to ask whatever he wants, whenever he want, without being told to go watch some videos first.

You then go on to rant some drivvel about the CK and Bethesda. Simple resolution for that. If your not smart enough to use this very easy to learn piece of software, don't use it.