Memory Question

In trying to scrap a pair of broken computers I have 2 sets of memory that I'm not sure I can do much with.

Set 1 is 2x (1gb 2Rx8 PC2-5300U)

Set 2 is 2x (2gb 2Rx8 PC2-6400U)

I'm not sure on the manufacturer (probably genetic since both computers were bought in a store). Both look to be 240 pin DDR2.

The motherboard I have is a:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131397

Which uses a 240 DDR3 standard, and currently has a 2 open slots for more memory.

I'm guessing that there wouldn't be backwards compatibility between memory standards, but thought that I might as well ask to see what people thought before trying them and frying something, or just trying to sell them off/trade them peacemeal with other excess components.

due to different signaling voltages, timing , problems with the memory controller and some other factors, neither DDR2 or DDR3 rams are backwards or forwards compatible, they may fit in as they have foolproof design usually but You may fry your MB if you try that, I've seen a poor sod do it and fry the MB, although the ram worked perfectly fine afterwards. I'm sure you already knew this.

Src: infamous usually wrong Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Edited by Ihoe

If you can identify the manufacturer they usually have a website with the technical specs on their various ram sticks. I have gotten good answers from the Corsair tech support when I had a timing problem.

due to different signaling voltages, timing , problems with the memory controller and some other factors, neither DDR2 or DDR3 rams are backwards or forwards compatible, they may fit in as they have foolproof design usually but You may fry your MB if you try that, I've seen a poor sod do it and fry the MB, although the ram worked perfectly fine afterwards. I'm sure you already knew this.

Rly? omg i mean the ddr and ddr 2 might fit, but a ddr3...... just amazing.Hp source

Rly? omg i mean the ddr and ddr 2 might fit, but a ddr3...... just amazing.Hp source

Heh you can invert the ddr3 picture horizontally and it'll fit.

But srysly, Well, you can move a mountain if you try hard enough.

Edited by Ihoe

I guess it also wouldn't help if you just forced the thing down anyway as ram can often "stick". But yeah, didn't really think about the tab location end of things.

If the notches in the ram stick don't line up with the tabs in the socket do not try to force it! That can break the socket ruining the motherboard. The ram stick should seat firmly without being forced then the ears on the socket should close and fit into the notches on the ends of the ram stick.

If those ears don't go into the notches, then the stick is not seated properly.

If the notches in the ram stick don't line up with the tabs in the socket do not try to force it! That can break the socket ruining the motherboard. The ram stick should seat firmly without being forced then the ears on the socket should close and fit into the notches on the ends of the ram stick.

If those ears don't go into the notches, then the stick is not seated properly.

Isn't that where you use a set of tin snips or side cutters and just make it fit?

Kinda like how you can make a processor a dual core by buying two, and ramming the pins of one into the other. Just remember to apply copious amounts of thermal paste between since you wouldn't want them overheating.