Looking for someone to collab with...

IalleI

I'm completely new to making mods for Skyrim, but I've watched the Creation Kit tutorials from Bethesda and fooled around with it some. Since I'm so new to this I was wondering if anyone was willing to work with me on something, don't care how simple it is, the scale of it (I'll put in as much effort as is needed), etc... While I'm new to Skyrim modding I spent a lot of time with editors in other games and have an eye for detail rather than broad-scaled things. So yeah... if anyone is willing to work with me as a mentor, partner, or whatever it would be extremely appreciated.

Honest advice from me is make something yourself. consider it a portfolio. then if you see a mod that requires a team submit the portfolio and ask to join based on it.

Sexy Maids Of Skyrim mod team is low on help maybe you can contribute to it. moonpaths seems to be moving along with its present team. aside from that i dont know of any mod teams working in collaboration that is not posted on the forums you posted in.

Well, what in particular do you want to learn? If I could recommend a starting point, I'd say get familiar with the creation kit. There's a great course on Creation Kit basics at TESA which teaches you everything you need to make your own house mod and a lot else besides. I can't think of a better diving board to get into all aspects of modding.

dont be afraid dude, just jump right in the deep end, think of something you wanna make in game, then go and learn what you need to do so! theres plenty of tutorials on the creation kit website, and if you get stuck theres plenty of experienced people on the nexus who are always happy to help a new modder!....your definately in the right place to learn though, we have a lovely community over here :)

oh and you'll need a few programs depending on what you want to do, for instance if you want to change textures, you#ll need gimp or photoshop with a .dds plugin (very easy to find, i think theres one on google code)

for making models you'll need something like blender

for pairing textures and models and getting things working properly you'll need nifskope

for editing locations, adding or removing things in game, editing specific game settings, building houses, and all manner of other things, you'll need the official creation kit

you'll also need something to extract files frmo .bsa archives if you edit vanilla items, most people use FOMM as it just works, although you may need to play around to make it work with skyrim (i think just copying the skyrim .exe and renaming it fallout3.exe can fool FOMM into thinking skyrim is fallout, and that'll let you extract teh .bsa archives

there are all sorts of other programs that you may find you need, but as a general rule those ones suffice for most modders needs, if you need links and such like feel free to ask me and ill go and grab them for you, all of those programs are free except from photoshop, anyways i would start with something simple and play to your strengths for instance if you know photoshop or gimp fairly well, why not try some basic texturing!...all you need for that is gimp or photoshop and a .dds plugin! ...its very simple and easy (although becoming really good at it does take time)......anyways theres some food for thought, and i hope you do take the plunge and jump into modding! its not as hard as a lot of people think :)....and remember if your not sure about things, either try experimenting, or just come and ask people :)

hey is it possible to create meshes in autocad and somehow pass them through to the skyrim modmaking program?

hmm wel i dont have any experience with autocad but to import a file into nifskope it needs to either be a .3ds or a .obj file, so if you can either create a file in those formats in the first place, or find a converter then in theory it should work, but its dependent on file types and if converters exist :) once a file is loaded into nifskope then its fairly easy to link up the textures and then import it into the CK (weapons are easier than armours, to do armours it needs to be certain sizes and have ninodes linked up n all sorts :P

Edited by tredmillion