Texture Help

vipermkii

I think the horns look amazing.

I have completed the .esp. These helms are unique items that can be crafted at the forge and tempered at the bench. Oh, and they work for the beast folk too!

Here's my question:

I placed everything in my data directory and worked from there, all of the texture references for my meshes in nifskope contain my unique drive address. Is this going to be a problem for anyone who installs this mod? I have Skyrim on an "F" drive for example, and someone grabs the mod on Nexus and installs to a "C" drive. Will there be an error??

Ummm yeah thats going to be a problem. the filepath needs to start at textures. example...

textures\architecture\riften\riftensiding01.dds

If you include the full filepath then it will only work on your system. Just put your cursor before the T in textures and hold backspace down.

Edited by jet4571

You are talking about doing this in nifskope right?

I have already placed the files and the esp in a proper data file on my desktop, ready to upload. My question is about the pathing I used in nifskope to tell the meshes which textures to use.

Edited by vipermkii

Thanks, I went into nifskope and corrected every one of them.

Does anybody know if I use the scale image feature in GIMP, will my textures be comparable in detail to the ones in the Bethesda texture pack? I messed up and used the 512s. . .

Edited by vipermkii

Umm If thats just resizing the texture then no it wont have any affect on the model as long as the dimensions are the same. It's the UVW map that monkeys with textures and placement on the model. the scale of the texture doesn't matter at all as long as it is the same dimensions. You can resize a 4096x4096 texture to 8x8 if you like or vice versa and the game wont care. and it will render the UVW correctly. look like hell in a handcart rolled over mud twice and spit on 3 times though.

What you will have is texture loss by going from a small texture to a larger. when you resize to a larger texture new pixels cannot be created, you can always make it smaller but you can never make it bigger. this is why texture artists for games start at very large sizes to do the original texture then reduce the size for the game. You could possibly double it in size in increments and use sharpen and soften filters on it each time and minimize the pixelation you will get.

Rule of thumb... if the texture is 512x512 then resize it to 3x the original before starting your texture work. same for any off sized textures like 768x512. triple the size before painting.

*edit,

When you reduce the texture in size do it in increments, dont jump from 2048 to 512 in one resize. do 75% for each resize until you reach 512. It will look much better. oh and dont hesitate to sharpen or soften as you go if needed too...

Edited by jet4571

I think that I want to add the iron helmet to my mod, I would like to add one more section to it so that it protects the jaw. How do I get started with editing meshes?Can it be done with NifSkope? Edited by vipermkii

No Nifskope is used to fix and finalizing what Blender/max exported. you will need Blender or 3ds Max to modify the mesh itself. To get started download blender or 3DS max with the free student license, get the nif import/export plugin, do a google search for tutorials. do a few of them to make different items and uvw mapping to familiarize yourself with the program. import the helmet nif, do what you learned in the tutorials to it. read the importing armor tutorials in the sticky at the top of the mod talk page and follow those instructions. Edited by jet4571