Where are the masterpieces?

NZISWAT

kudos for that david!

but i dont think that that's quite what he meant :P theres no question that there are so seriously amazing mods for skyrim already in the short time its been around, i think he's referring more to the larger quest mods, new worlds and groundbreaking things like the XRE showcase (although thats reasonably new and FNV has been around for yonks xD)

but on the whole i agree with what you say david

oh and on a side note i just had a quick look at your mods for skyrim, and i must say im awfully impressed!! theres some very VERY cool stuff there! cant wait to try them out now ^^

Simple.

Bad mods is made by new modders in a hurry.

Decent mods are made by decent modders in a hurry.

Good mods are made by decent modders that takes their time.

Awesome mods are made by good modders who takes their time.

Masterpieces are made by top notch mod teams that takes their time.

"In a hurry" means 1 day - a few months.

"Takes their time" means: a few months - a few years.

As of now, big projects are being WIP. They will not be finished any time soon.

It's quite simple really. A once read a little thing which made me giggle, let me try to remember what it was:

"Take the ammout of time you think a mod will take and double it. Now, triple that. Add 1 week. Now you are exactly halways of how long it takes."

I.E. Mods takes way longer than you expect. The quick mods are, as the name implies, quick.

Simple.

Bad mods is made by new modders in a hurry.

Decent mods are made by decent modders in a hurry.

Good mods are made by decent modders that takes their time.

Awesome mods are made by good modders who takes their time.

Masterpieces are made by top notch mod teams that takes their time.

"In a hurry" means 1 day - a few months.

"Takes their time" means: a few months - a few years.

As of now, big projects are being WIP. They will not be finished any time soon.

It's quite simple really. A once read a little thing which made me giggle, let me try to remember what it was:

"Take the ammout of time you think a mod will take and double it. Now, triple that. Add 1 week. Now you are exactly halways of how long it takes."

I.E. Mods takes way longer than you expect. The quick mods are, as the name implies, quick.

heh amen to that man, brilliant quote!

i dont totally agree with the first bit though, i've seen mods done in a few days that were proper good :P i suppose all this is pretty subjective, depends on your definitions of a good mod, and as such isnt really something that every person can agree on :P....but there are definately some awesome mods around...as for masterpieces, not yet, but as you say, that stuff takes time :P i reckon it'll be at least a few months till we start getting large quest lines and expansive new areas and such like, but hell it'll all be worth it :)

To me a masterpiece depends on the person creating it. I'm sure there are tons of masterpieces out there by people who have put a lot of work into their mods and did their very best. A masterpiece isn't always a huge mod with millions of features. It could be a smaller mod where the modder has put all their blood sweat and tears into it and truly value it. That's why people get so upset when others steal their work. It's very personal to them. And the downloader/user doesn't get to decide what is a masterpiece. That is the modder's determination of their own work.

A masterpiece isn't always a huge mod with millions of features.

Correct. A masterpiece of a mod is a polished mod that is well done. It can be everything from a simple house that got the design just right, to mod with a gazillion features.

Masterpiece is, of course, subjective. However, no matter how subjective it may be, it takes time.

"Behind every brilliant performance there were countless hours of practice and preparation" - Eric Buttterworth

Is an example. For every top mod there will be countless houres of work and bug testing. This is done in the sparetime of people that otherwise go to work, or school. The sample people most likely also games, meaning some times go into there. This gives limited houres per week.

My point is quite simple: It takes time. I wouldn't count for the best mod to arrive for months now, even years. The top notch mods will most likely be out in a few months, but will be a WIP untill the next TES arrives. At which the cycle starts over, only with more experienced modders.

I would also like to ask the OP to respect that. Modders, or the freelance modeller as myself, spend the time we got to do stuff. We don't get paid to do this, and we don't always want to do it. It all goes in our speed, not yours. If you want the best mods to be done, I suggest learning to mod, or model, and apply to join the bigger mod projects. Or at the very least show apprecation.

Cheers,

Matth

@David. I think you misunderstood the OP a little bit. We all know there are good mods out. But none are really large scale or really standing out (given many exceptions). And even that is a matter of personal opinion. You could say my work isn't a "masterpiece" either. I could care less, I just enjoy making it into a reality. One *I* think we would want/need.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/649696-wip-dwemer-colosseum/

So yeah I know there's lots of good mods but none like the really good mods that the Fallout series had

This topic is a bit insulting. You wish to imply that the modders who are modding for Skyrim are not making any "really good mods?"

I have a suggestion for you. Put your money where your mouth is. Don't just sit on the sidelines and complain. Download the CK and some other modding software. Read some tutorials and documentation on the wikis. Start building some simple mods. Then start building some more complicated mods. Maybe you will be the one who will finally provide the Skyrim community with some "really good mods." (And if you don't succeed in doing this, then you will learn a bit of humility, compassion, and empathy. You will have a good feel for the subject and will be able to articulate long lists of reasons why the Skyrim modding system is preventing modders from creating "really good mods.")

Sorry I wasn't trying to insult anyone I just saying there are very very good mods for Skyrim but no ground-shattering mods that make your jaw drop. I was not trying to be an a**hole and say "All these mods are sh*tty"

There are many good mods such as JaySuS swords, King of Riverhelm, Moonpath, Warzones, etc

Virtually all of the mind-blowing mods from the past games didn't come out until years after the game's release (for a variety of reasons ranging from simply needing that much time to the actual functionality that made those mods possible finally coming into the game, either via Beth or the Script Extender guys). We're not even up to one year into Skyrim.

I'd say just be patient.

I appreciate whatever I get considering how buggy the CK is... and the content is free. Honestly if I made $ back for the time I put into these mods I'd probably be more motivated... and my mom wouldn't think the time I invested in this hobby is stupid.

At least we can accept donations now. Though I don't blame anyone for not wanting to spend money. But even if people did charge for mods... everything you buy would be more content than any saints row 3 "DLC" that came out (they tried making customers pay money to use the cheat codes that they intentionally disabled from the game!)