Realistic bow carrying

Fnoros

I am requesting a minor mod to re-orient bows when they are on your back. Instead of having them just floating there, i want it to be more like in assassin's creed 3 or mount and blade. This might require new bow models with loose strings to avoid having them clip through the character, but minor clipping through clothing is fine.

reference pictures:

http://www.ikogamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Assassins-Creed-III-Feature.jpg

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/ve3d/images/06/46/64660_orig.jpg

see guy to the left in the foreground

Totally agree that the bow carrying system is flawed... Being mostly an assassin type charachter this would create a lot more immersion for me... It's effectively my sniper rifle.

its not quite as easy as you may think, well it is, but to get it right isn't....you would need to account for different character weights, and also for different armours, as well as finding that sweet spot where you have as little clipping as possible, i mean it would be really annoying if the bowstring was going straight through your body o.O

but i do think this is a good idea, just hard to get right :P

yeah after posting i realized wait there's probably a reason they id it that way then came to your conclusion :P

heh yeah theres a lot of things in the game that are technically very easy to accomplish, but in actuality are rather hard for reasons such as this, although im sure some modder will do this idea at some stage! most ideas are realised sooner or later :)

• 1 month later...

yeah after posting i realized wait there's probably a reason they id it that way then came to your conclusion :P

heh yeah theres a lot of things in the game that are technically very easy to accomplish, but in actuality are rather hard for reasons such as this, although im sure some modder will do this idea at some stage! most ideas are realised sooner or later :)

I really don't mind if it isn't exactly right; I would prefer having them all too big around instead of nothing at all. The sword sheaths already float, but at least you HAVE them. Or maybe even delete the strings entirely, like in Dragon Age: Origins. Or even remove the strings, add some leather straps, and add a re-stringing animation. Or, if you HAVE to make them accurate, you could try to find a list of the coordinates of a point on the chest of all of the armor/clothing/body type positions, and procedurally generate a half-circle bowstring using simple geometric equations.