Mage staff tactics/animation switched for a 1h sword?

katiebour

Looking to do a version of this mod:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/2725

in Awakenings.

I have Tlkedit, PyGFF editor, and am familiar with both. I've unpacked Origins/Awakenings files and edited .uti files.

Unfortunately, changing the base item id in TlkEdit from 16 (mage staff) to 2 (longsword) changes both the model and the animation. I want the staff's appearance to remain the same while changing the way a mage fights with it (i.e melee/1h animations.) It's easy enough to manage in DA2 but Origins is being trickier.

Do I need to create a new item (i.e. a longsword) with a retex to a mage staff to accomplish this, or is there a simpler way to accomplish what the above mod does?

Also, if anyone could point me to a tutorial where I can learn how to create a weapon in Origins/Awakenings I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hi katiebour!

First of all i would suggest that you install dragon age toolset if you haven't already. Tlkedit, PyGFF editors are used for DA2 as far as i know,

but dragon age toolset gives u all this tools and lot more. (you get gff editor erf editor and lots lots more goodies included :D )

Also you should get DATool it lets you see all in game models.

Once you have that you can make items, creatures, ... almost anything really.

Now about this mod you want to make. I really like the idea and im trying to make something similar. Maybe we can work together if its same idea. Do you want to create 1 staff that will attack melee or all staves in game to be melee?

I think creating a sword and retexturing wont work since it will still be sword model used. My idea is to create new item variation for sword that will have staff model. That means you would have to create item variation .gda file.

Read more about GDA files here http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Extending_GDAs_tutorial

Once you have new sword variation you could use toolset to create new item or edit existing item and use your new item variation (model).

In theory it would be a sword that looks like a staff but hits and animates like a sword.

Some warnings with gda files: always add _something to sheet name in your xls file, never modify original files and try to use only rows you need to make your mod compatible with other mods that use other rows.

I hope this helps and good luck.