[WIP]Realswords Retextures

imperistan

Wow dude, these are great! Exactly what I was looking for, pure viking steel. I personally dislike seeing all of these fancy sword models up on the Nexus, with their stupid engravings and such...but this, THIS is pure excellence.

Also, I've been trying to get custom swords into Skyrim for quite some time, but I really can't seem to get it to work. Can I ask, what programs did you use to create and import these weapons? Was it 3DS Max? Because I've been using Blender for my sword models, but there is no .nif export option, so I am forced to export the model as an .obj and then 'convert' it to a .nif using NifSkope.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your general workflow to making these swords, from the initial making of them to the importing of them? Just the basic stuff.

Thanks a lot, and once again, these swords look great!

Wow dude, these are great! Exactly what I was looking for, pure viking steel. I personally dislike seeing all of these fancy sword models up on the Nexus, with their stupid engravings and such...but this, THIS is pure excellence.

Also, I've been trying to get custom swords into Skyrim for quite some time, but I really can't seem to get it to work. Can I ask, what programs did you use to create and import these weapons? Was it 3DS Max? Because I've been using Blender for my sword models, but there is no .nif export option, so I am forced to export the model as an .obj and then 'convert' it to a .nif using NifSkope.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your general workflow to making these swords, from the initial making of them to the importing of them? Just the basic stuff.

Thanks a lot, and once again, these swords look great!

I actually only created the new textures for these. The swords were made years ago by Waalx and then were imported to Skyrim by shingouki. And now I'm just creating new, high res textures for them. (granted, the swords didn't necessarily need new ones. They actually look extraordinarily good with their normal textures. But that's because Waalx was a god at making low-res textures look twice their res)

I would imagine (seeing as these were created back in Oblivion's hey day) that they were created either with Blender or 3DS Max. But I can't say for certain. And I'm not a modeler at this point (In terms of skill points, my modelling skills are at 5, my texturing skills at 2000) so I wouldn't know much regarding that.

As far as workflow, at least as far as texturing goes, I basically just took the original textures as a base, uprezed the image and then cut up the original texture and used those parts as bases for my new texture.

Nice work, loving the pattern welding. How do you create the texture for that? Because I would love to create some Damascus steel/ Mokume Gane stuff myself.

It's not particularly hard, but its also proving hard to master. The short and simple version is to draw squiggly black, white, and gray lines and then use the Liquify filter on them to mesh them into the pattern you want. But I found that, while the technique was good for basic, basic stuff, it didn't really produce what I wanted.

So what I did was I found high-resolution pictures of actual pattern welds and I'd cut out certain parts and then copy and paste that into a giant block of the same couple welds, and then liquify them to conform to the blade shape and the pattern i'm looking for.

Whatever method you use, once you have the pattern you want, its just a matter of getting it look just right on the steel texture.

OH YEAH, I finished Beserker yesterday. Forgot to post it here.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/Images/97304

Edited by imperistan

Finished Broadedge

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/Images/99047

Initial release isn't that far away. Just have to finish Poignard then I'll be able to release the bladed weapons. Axes and bows I'll have to focus on separately as their textures are set up differently and work differently than the blades do, so I'll have to experiment until I can get it up to the same quality I have managed to get in the blades.