Fallout new vegas long save file loading times fixed (kinda, i guess)

MrKeytil

I've completed 39 quests, discovered and looted 139 places and did some other stuff. But everything i did and stored is still in game and haven't been deleted. So what is it actually deleting when i quick/auto save? I still can't understand that part

You will keep your quests, discovered places and loot, but when you load a quick save, some of the things that happened just before you saved will not reappear. In the beginning of the game, I would quick save just before engaging an enemy force in case I was killed. When I loaded the save, there were not the same number of foes as in the game when I was killed. There have been other small things missing in the save that were present in the game just before making the save.

That being said, it's your game and you can do what you want. Take the advice of people that have been here for years and playing the game for years or just continue as you have been.

Now i understand what quicksaving actually can do, thanks. Still, unless it makes the game unplayable or might hurt my pc or something, i don't think i care much. A couple of enemies gone? easier for me to capture that place

As for your longer load times: when you "overwrite" a file repeatedly, something called "file fragmentation" creeps in. This means some of those "blocks" the file is written to get separated from each other and your hard drive head has to move around to locate them; taking more time. (This is less likely when a completely new file is created, unless the disk doesn't have sufficient "never used" file space and has to re-use "deleted file blocks".) The solution is to periodically "defragment" your drive. (BTW: You don't do this with a SSD. Different technology.) Windows provides a builtin tool for this purpose. There are also various "third-party" defrag tools which claim to do a better job you can search out on the web.

-Dubious-

As for your longer load times: when you "overwrite" a file repeatedly, something called "file fragmentation" creeps in. This means some of those "blocks" the file is written to get separated from each other and your hard drive head has to move around to locate them; taking more time. (This is less likely when a completely new file is created, unless the disk doesn't have sufficient "never used" file space and has to re-use "deleted file blocks".) The solution is to periodically "defragment" your drive. (BTW: You don't do this with a SSD. Different technology.) Windows provides a builtin tool for this purpose. There are also various "third-party" defrag tools which claim to do a better job you can search out on the web.

-Dubious-

Thanks