How do I

Tasendia

Make Vilkas essential?

Can someone just type out what I need to do please?

I know there is a website out to offer help, but I will be honest and I did not find it that easy to navigate. I will properly have a look when I get more time available.

I just would like to make Vilkas essential now.

Thank you ^^

Tasendia

It should be as simple as opening up the Creation Kit, go to File-->Data checking Skyrim.esm and Update.esm on and if you haven't made an .esp already don't select anything as the active file, otherwise select your .esp and make sure you set it as the active file. Select okay and wait for it to load and then select the Actors tab in the Object Window, navigate to Vilkas and double-click or right-click and select edit.

On the left side you will see check-boxes, one of which is Essential. Check that box, click okay, save your progress (and if you didn't make an .esp already it will ask you to name it now) and you're done. Then just make sure your .esp is checked on before you start Skyrim and see what happens. I'm going to take this moment to provide a disclaimer that I am in no way responsible for anything bad that happens to your game if flagging Vilkas as Essential somehow screws up your game. I don't think it would, but you never know.

You may want to check out some tutorials on making new companions, that way you won't have to meddle with the vanilla game and you'll be able to mess with AI packages to change their behavior to whatever you desire in a somewhat safe manner.

Thank you very much for your help ^^ I now know what I was not doing right. I was only checking on the Skyrim.esm but not the Update.esm.

I have done that. I have just got to test it now.

Hehe I have now also made Delpine killable, strangely enough though, I cannot make Esbern killable though. Even though I have done the same to him as I have to Delphine.

Edited to add, it has worked with Vilkas ^^ now just to finish off Esbern ^^

Edited by Tasendia

I think it's because Esbern is involved in quests. While you can tick/untick base actors, if they are set as "aliases" in quest, they may stay ticked/unticked while the quests are running.

So you have to locate in wich quests Esbern is set as Alias and tick/untick the essential flag there too

well you can always use the ingame console

http://uesp.net/wiki/skyrim:console

theres some information on the console, but for your specific needs

setessential 0001A694 1

that command should suffice :)......plus its a lot simpler than using the CK :)....and it doesnt effect your whole game xD...jsut the save you used that command with :)....as well as its easily reversible by using the same command, but replacing the 1 at the end with a 0 :D

:) glad to be of help, its applicable to any character all you need is their id i recommend looking up that uesp link as it has lots and lots of useful commands on there:)

and yeh its not that hard to make an esp, but its useful to know the commands so you dont need to go to the hassle of using the CK or if you wanna be able to toggle it on and off nice and easily :)......also UFO has a feature where you can make any follower essential via dialogue! as well as various other useful follower tweaks :D