Anyone else throughly sick of the skyrim game mechanics

Eegxeta

I have Morrowind and Skyrim. The more I play Skyrim, the more cool Morrowind gets because it doesn't have the stupid perk system. Has anyone else noticed how Dovakiin seems to translate into Demigod instead of dragonborn. To me it seems like the only thing different between the Dragonborn and everyone else should be they can absorb dragon souls and use them to gain knowledge of shouts and maybe become physically stronger. The whole system is so flawed in so many ways. I also don't like the way nothing presents a major challenge to you by the time you level 20 you can almost single handily concur Skyrim. In Morrowind level 20 you stop getting stronger and just get more hp, mp ,sp with each level that doesn't make you much stronger because there is more to fighting then I have more hp then you. I'd do something about but that would mean rewriting half the game.

I like Morrowind because the game mechanics makes sense there is no arbitrary perks system where suddenly for no apparent reason you can gain new abilities. The only thing Skyrim has on Morrowind is better graphics and the duel wielding.

Skyrim has been a real let down. A game that you have to mod the crap out of it to make fun is a failed game.

Anyone else with me on this?

Edited by Eegxeta

That is what seperates Dragon Born from others...to kill a dragon forever by absorbing its soul, plus the ability to learn shouts by nature, not by meditating and study. You were expecting maybe wings? :whistling:

Nope.

I love the perks and they are simply a method of representing experience and gaining knowledge for the player. Sure they're not perfect but show me a game that is.

And do you acutally prefer Morrowind's awful combat to Skyrim's? Morrowind was and is still a great game but the combat is terrible. Remember standing directly in front of an enemy and swinging your sword unable to hit it? To top it of the enemy is not better at hitting than the player is. It was like two blind men in a brawl.

To me, Skyrim makes a hell of a lot more sense than either Morrowind or Oblivion did. Selecting my major/minor skills at the start of the game and no longer being able to change them? Now that's shitty game mechanics.

Skyrim is anything but a let down.

Edited by Archer1980

I wish there was a Morrowind style invitory menu instead of the tedious text scroll especially during combat. I would prefer a more natural leveling and/or perks as a consequence of your activity [if you're not doing it, you don't get it], over a levelup page. In Morrowind I played 3p in turn-mode, maximum sensitivity. I could spin like a top and whack three MCA ruffians a once. Run, jump, attack in mid-air [favorite way of taking down Cliffracers], jump up to attack npcs on bridges or while leaping ravines, spinnig in mid-air, archery in mid-air [1p view], many ways. All that lost in Oblivion.

As I like to say:

This is Skyrim. It is what it is.

Morrowind is still here. Why not play it?

Games don't stop to exist just because a new game is out. I still play Daggerfall from time to time -- which, by the way, beats Morrowind in my opinion. Now, you can always run back to Morrowind and have all the things you like, and leave Skyrim to us who don't want it.

Perks are a bit better than Oblivion's system, but they still don't make sense obviously. Say you grind lockpicking to level up and get a few perk points, then you spend them on something completely unrelated in let's say conjuration. How in the world does your conjuration improve by practising lockpicking?

Overall I enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim about the same, much more than Morrowind. Morrowind was such a chore to play.

Edited by Heartcloud

For me, I use the ASAP perk mod. This basically brings back oblivion in a nutshell, where as if you level up blade, you get the perk automatically, you just need to grind the level in. That's what makes sense for me, so eventually I can have every perk if I wanted to have it, I just need to put in the time and effort to level it up.

I understand not being able to have all the perks, but they really left you with nothing. You need to have smithing up if you use any sort of armor. PERIOD. So that's at least seven perks right there, double that if you want to use both heavy and light. This is something you could do in oblivion without penalty, eventually you could have the best of both worlds.

You need enchanting. Everyone and everything uses enchantments, and if you want them to be worth a crap, you need many of the perks there, at least seven of them (counting the first one at the bottom).

You need some kind of weapon skill (or dest, conj, etc... for mages) that's another fifteen or so right there, if you want to use a sword and a great sword, good luck with that. Armor, most use one or the other, very few mages i've seen here use cloth, they typically go one or the other, so that's another ten or so right there.

What are you left with? You still have alchemy to use, because we know destruction magic needs all the buff it can get because it sucks some nasty ones at high levels without being a fireball stunlocker mage. You can maybe get by as a stealth, but as melee, you need potions if you play on master with deadly dragons, monster mod, frostfall, etc... so that's ANOTHER fifteen or so right there. When you get through all of the utility "must have skills" like lockpicking, etc... you are going by the skin of your teeth, so you need to leave some skills like Speechcraft alone because you don't have enough perks.

They should keep it like oblivion, just put in the amount of time to level the skill, and when you get to the level for the perk, you get it automatically. What's wrong with that? You can't become godlike unless you put in some serious effort.

With warrior stone, you still need around 2K daggers made to go from 15 smithing to 100 smithing... that's a LOT of iron daggers and time and money, etc...

To each their own, I like skyrim, but i'd shoot myself without mods. This game is UNPLAYABLE without mods, essential ones like HUD overhauls, menu overhauls, AI overhuals, etc... etc...