Attempting to Diagnose Crashing

Taffer42

My game has developed a crash, and I think I need some help figuring it out. (Please bear with me, I'm trying to provide as much info as possible.)

I loaded up a game that is saved in Breezehome. I went out to the stables, bought a horse, and proceeded down the road towards the Falkreath border. Partway there I came across Barleydark Farm (for those who don't know, this is added content from Cutting Room Floor). This is where the crash occurs. 95% of the time, when I get to the point where I am getting the message "Barleydark Farm Discovered", my game crashes. I do not CTD, the game just freezes in front of me, and I have to "End Task" in the Task Manager.

Now, I've spent all morning painstakingly removing mods (I use Mod Organizer 2) and retesting. As I was removing mods, I noticed the the crash happening less often. However, even when I get down to a pure vanilla install, the crash still occurs.

So, I start up a saved game of a new character who's never been outside Riverwood, and repeat the process (go to Whiterun, buy a horse, etc.) This time using my full set of mods, I go back there, and no matter what I do I can't replicate the crash.

So all this tells me something got baked into the saved game I was using. I'm now at a loss as to how to proceed. How do you try to diagnose this, figure out which mod (or mod combination) caused the crash? Or, was it just a fluke, a one time thing, and I shouldn't bother, since the newer save couldn't replicate it?

Crashing is bad. I don't want my game to crash. But I also don't want to waste a lot of time for nothing.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

I have a couple of questions for you before I can offer advice. Before you noticed the orginal crash had you added or removed any mods mid playthrough?

The reason I ask this is, as you stated it seems like something that was had baked into the save. Now if this was a conflict of two or more mods and one of which had been removed before, it could be that a script or something was hard baked into your save. By starting a new save obviously, the offending object/script that was hard baked into the previous save. So by starting a new save you would have corrected the issue you was having.

If you hadn't added and removed any mods before the crashing occurred it may be worth doing a couple more fresh starts and see if this crash occurs again. Personally if its working now, I wouldn't worry about it. But bare in mind adding and removing mods mid playthrough especially script heavy mods can cause issues such as this.

This is not a playthrough...I am modding the game before starting a playthrough, using downloaded saved game files to test it. I've loaded up the saved game in a Vanilla setup with only SKSE64, which informed me I was missing one mod it required (USSEP). I have since saved the game a few times after adding mods, but none of them report any mods missing when I load them up, so I assume they're okay. Since it's a downloaded saved game, that's the best I can do to answer that question. :(