Are you having constant exterior CTDs? I've FINALLY found your sol

yafi

I've been having the same problem for about two days now. This CTD is really annoying the crap out of me. I looked on my papyrus file and it says

Current Skill uses given: 1200.000000 times the Skill Use Multiplier

[01/31/2013 - 07:29:03PM] VM is freezing...

[01/31/2013 - 07:29:03PM] VM is frozen

[01/31/2013 - 07:29:03PM] Saving game...

[01/31/2013 - 07:29:03PM] VM is thawing...

any ideas on what that means? :/

thanks

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VM is Freezing

MEans that the papyrus system is putting commands on hold and transferring the Read Write portion it uses over to writeing of Saves, Menu control features, and generally that you may be exiting the game as in Menu select Exit.

VM is Frozen means complete pause of all functions to save the game.

VM is Thawing means that the Papyrus system is re-engaging as in it's starting back up and will be actively reading and executing scripted commands functions.

This has nothing to do with your game crashing.

For the most part the Papyrus log is a log of Debugging or even just a tracker of call functions.

-It's not a good method for crash detection

-Consider this I read that understood that, and I'm telling you this entire thread is bunk.

Pointless thread that gives modders a scewwed veiw of the purpose of papyrus logs.

Scary thing is if I looked at your mods list I could narrow down your problems in 10 minutes, at your computer I could get those mods working in 10 minutes to 40 work hours depending on the load order you were trying to accomplish

Fact is most modders run more mods than not only their computer can handle but more than the Game Engine or Papyrus Script engine can handle.

You should post your load order, Boss Log, and a list of your texture mods. Skeleton choice, BBP, ATT, Real Force?

I'll best guess your problem right now

-You are running more than 1 hair mod

-You are running more than 1 mod that alters weather

-You are exceeding 1024 texture sizes

-You are running more than 1 scripted overhaul mod

-You are running more than 1 companion overhaul

-You are running more than 1 horse mod

-more than 1 character mechanics overhaul

-You have more than 1 mod that increases the number of active AI in the game world

-you are using an overhual for each charcter archtype, aka Vamp, Were, Warrior, Theif, and Mage.

-The list goes on but these are the most common issue's that cause CTD's

-You are using a mod that is not 1.8 compatible<---also common

-you have removed a scripted mod entirely from the game folder and are still using a save that makes call functions to the removed script<---very common, most players continue after they think they have trouble shot the issue, but that save has those scripts baked in

Cant turn an eggsandwich back into an egg that'll make a chicken.

Note

-The best thing for modders to think of the papyrus system is "How often"

How Often

-does the script mod you added make a call function.

-Each call function has a timestamp

-By keeping track of the timestamp's you get a feeling for how demanding the mod is. In other words how much of the active memory it's going to use to execute it's functions.

-This is still guessing but thats it.

Common mistakes

-Error does not mean Error in the since that you and most will understand, it just means this.

Call function Does the player have Sword of Slaying Equiped. Error the object no longer has or contains that property (The player does not have Sword of Slaying equipped)

Sometimes it can tell you that you are missing a Master File,

-A missing ESM

-This however could have been anticipated by the mod author

-BUT for the most part authors do make mistakes and can have call functions that make calls to retrieve information from a mod that causes a critcal error

However the lod will show plain as day

ERROR Missing Master File FILENAME.esm <---at this point your game crashes so there will be no more in the log entry.

Most of the crashes are becuase of this reason below

The amount of memory that papyrus scripting system is alloted to use is exceeded, by the demand of the scripted mods installed.

-This means that you could get as high as level 40 before your installed scripted mods begin to show how ugly they can be packed into a barrel with 24 other fish.

-ever capture a few dozen tadpols and put them in a cup, was there enough room in there for them?

Hard Drive has a Read Write Speed

this speed is how fast it delivors pizza, a Van is slower than a Porche. A lot of modders are using a Van to delivor pizza.

-Drive is reponsible for papyrus, fetching texures for the Vcard, and Saves. A lot of background tasks.

-The alloted mememory is a cap, game only uses so much.

-So faster Drive means more delivories and thus more mod capacity. But no garentee the mods won't conflict with each other

-Rewriting the hard cap means more mod capacity but not more stability.

Edited by gamefever

Thanks Gamesever, While I dont know as much as you about such matters I agree completely, The single thing I did to make Skyrim stable was to go through my mod list and ask myself "do i really need this one?"

I managed to cull it down to 50 mods and ive been ctd free ever since.

I always smile when i see people post about ctd issues then post a system that includes a 32 vista or a 1 gb video card or 4 gb ram and then post a mod list longer than my arm.

@seanxx

I know LOL, the last thing they tell you is they have ENB or Ugrids=9....

WarZones haha

@hentaishinri

Read my previous post, it's not a crash log, I just Debunked the whole 370 plus comments of this entire thread! The problem is people are not making good informed choices.

i enable trace logging in the Skyrim.ini, but nothing appears

I'm using mod organizer, could that be the problem?

Yes. Mod Organizer makes a copy of your ini files from the default location for each profile you generate in MO, so multiple users can play the game without having to constantly back up/overwrite the ini files for their own set ups. Your can either edit the ini settings using the ini editor in MO, or find the ini files under '.../ModOrganizer/Profiles/[your profile name]/...'

Why are you CTDing from scripts? Have you remove mods from your load order?

i enable trace logging in the Skyrim.ini, but nothing appears

I'm using mod organizer, could that be the problem?

Yes. Mod Organizer makes a copy of your ini files from the default location for each profile you generate in MO, so multiple users can play the game without having to constantly back up/overwrite the ini files for their own set ups. Your can either edit the ini settings using the ini editor in MO, or find the ini files under '.../ModOrganizer/Profiles/[your profile name]/...'

Why are you CTDing from scripts? Have you remove mods from your load order?

Nope. Just happens sometimes, like when I talk to someone the game crashes. Or when I use an Altar.

Mostly when some scene is about to happen, like in High Hrothgar, when the Greybeards train me and summon projectiles

well, once they took 5 minutes to summon the projectile and the game crashed. But then I re-loaded and it didn't

It's really random, but nothing fatal, I mean, it only happens once in every 100 times

but it's still annoying xD

@hentaishinri

Read my previous post, it's not a crash log, I just Debunked the whole 370 plus comments of this entire thread! The problem is people are not making good informed choices.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that..

Edited by hentaishinri

So I have been reading for the last 5 - 6 days all just on ctds. This thread has the best answer to the problem. Gamefever is 100% correct. There is no fix for over burdening the game with unnecessary mods. Especially those that may conflict with one another. After 2 windows reinstalls and countless Skyrim reinstalls, pains-taking mod selection careful sorting through them and making sure the mod order is correct, editing my inis, changing audio settings and you name the lot I tried it. Simply because this game is worth playing. I have come down to this. It is not a solution to the problem... it is how to avoid the problem all together. I did a complete reinstall. I did not install any mod manager (i feel like they do not do a good job of installing mods. MHO). I have hand selected no more than 20 mods.

Auto Unequip Arrows

IMAGINATOR

SkyUI

PowerOfTheGods

EnhancedLightsandFX

RLO - Dungeons for ELnFX

RLO - Illuminated Spells for ELnFX

RLO - Major City Interiors for ELnFX

RLO - Minor Cities & Town Interiors for ELnFX

MasterTheTimeAndSpaceTOGGLE.esp

This list as boss shows it. Boss in my opinion is a MUST! I mange the mods through the skyrim launcher. There are some mods which alter script files and taking them off will permanently affect your save leading to tons of ctds. for example auto unequip if taken off will result in ctds. I also have categorized fav menus, calientes cbbe w/ sporty sexy sweaty and sakura tattoo add on, glorious daedric retexture, time on loading screen, lockpick pro and cinematic fire effects. That is it. Since using this method. I have had 0 crashes....

Mod managers give you the feeling that can some how sort out and handle a million mods.... they simply cant. Like gamefever said. We need to make good informed choices.

One last thing. Reading as much as you can on any mod you intend to install will go a very long way. You may get to the end of a lengthy read me and the author will say "Oh and if you have XXXX mod installed get the optional patch to do blah blah if not you will run into issues".

Just my little piece in this ever growing puzzle.

Peace.

So, I'm getting random CTDs. With all my mods installed, it's everytime I fast travel. With just Tamriel and the unofficial patches+expansions it CTDs when I wait sometimes. Please help. I noticed most of the shenanigans began after I added Guards On Your Home, didn't help when I uninstalled it.Papyrus and BOSS read-out at bottom. Please help, I will probably end up quitting this game for a few months if a clean re-install/new saves is the only fix.

My mod list (all of these have been installed at least once):

Skyrim 4GB tutorial

Warzones civil unrest

Climates of Tamriel

enhanced distant terrain

Beautiful Riverside

High Quality 3D Map

Quality World Map

Whiterun Outskirts Market

7k Better Whiterun

WATER water and terrain enhancement

Better Dynamic Snow

HQ snow

thats ice

all the unofficial expansions

official high-res texture packs

flora overhaul

flora overhaul punish your machine

flora overhaul pine textures

Glowing ore veins 300

player home map markers

fast travel time fix

guards on your home v 1.6

guards on your home v 1,5

Trying to fast travel anywhere with everything installed after I installed and uninstalled Guards On Your Home gave me this:

[ (0001E68C)].Sound.Play() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (02009B00)].fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT.OnLoad() - "<savegame>" Line ?

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:41AM] error: Object reference has no 3D

stack:

[ (0001E68C)].Sound.Play() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (02009B04)].fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT.OnLoad() - "<savegame>" Line ?

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:46AM] VM is freezing...

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:46AM] VM is frozen

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:47AM] Saving game...

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:46AM] VM is freezing...

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:46AM] VM is frozen

[02/08/2013 - 05:51:47AM] Saving game...

After uninstalling everything but Skyrim/DLC/unofficial patches, I crashed while using the Wait function in Solitude (Note: I haven't even been to Solstheim yet):

:

error: Unable to call RegisterForSingleUpdate - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type

stack:

[<NULL alias> (1) on <NULL quest> (00000000)].dlc2mq06miraakbossbattle.RegisterForSingleUpdate() - "<native>" Line ?

[<NULL alias> (1) on <NULL quest> (00000000)].dlc2mq06miraakbossbattle.OnUpdate() - "DLC2MQ06MiraakBossBattle.psc" Line 178

[02/08/2013 - 07:11:52AM] VM is freezing...

[02/08/2013 - 07:11:52AM] VM is frozen

[02/08/2013 - 07:11:52AM] Saving game...

[02/08/2013 - 07:11:52AM] VM is thawing...

[02/08/2013 - 07:11:54AM] [DLC2PillarBuilderActorScript < (040177DB)>]OnPackageStart()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSS READ-OUT

RECOGNIZED

Skyrim.esm Active

Update.esm Active

Contains dirty edits: 73 ITM, 1 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. (http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit)

Dawnguard.esm Active

Contains dirty edits: 607 ITM, 82 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. (http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit)

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

HearthFires.esm Active

Contains dirty edits: 171 ITM, 11 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. (http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit)

Dragonborn.esm

Contains dirty edits: 57 ITM, 8 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. (http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit)

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active

Contains dirty edits: 4 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. (http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit)

portal2mod.esp Active

Contains dirty edits: 5 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. (http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit)

HighResTexturePack01.esp Active

HighResTexturePack02.esp Active

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

Requires: Dragonborn (Official Bethesda DLC)

Better Dynamic Snow.esp

hqsnow.esp

Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp

RiverWood_Beautiful.esp Active

whiterunMarket.esp Active

WhiterunFortified.esp Active

WhiterunREVISION.esp Active

RRBetterWhiterunInt.esp Active

SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp

WATER.esp

UNRECOGNIZED

WATER Plants.esp