Suggestion: Alternative Mods & Compatibility listing

joepez

Suggestion for SkyrimNexus, but really applicable to any of the Nexus sites. A lot of mods get abandoned by authors, or are good in concept, but not quite executed right. Since the Nexus family is quite large and pretty active why not take advantage of everyone and do a little crowdsourcing to get alternative mod suggestions and compatibility listing.

Alternative mods - The great thing about mods is anyone can create something similar, but finding them is nearly impossible. If users would suggest alternatives and let others vote on the quality of those alternatives that could drive up discoverability of new/not-as-popular mods and alternates when a project is abandoned. Amazon does this really well in help you find alternative suggestions. Alternativeto.net is the best example.

Compatibility - Again there are 1000s of testers (aka playesr) out there banging away on Skyrim on a regular basis, so take advantage of that by letting people list (and vote on accuracy) of what versions of Skyrim and possibly extremely popular mods (SKSE). Perfect example: I upgraded to 1.6 and promptly had CTDs. Problem children: SKSE and Death Dance. Upgraded both and no problems. Give me a simple method to surface this and I'd tell the community that XYZ vX.X is not compatible with Skyrim vX.X.

Steam doesn't provide either of those two functions and probably never will.