ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

CTD due to scripts misfire

Jintezaku

Heya all!

I've been working on highly modded Skyrim projects for about 3 months now, and I've gotten to a point where the game is about 99% stable (though this is a wild estimate).

In this time I've made a lot of custom patches and manual edits to ensure maximum compatibility between mods,

though there is still a 1/1000 (again, wild estimate) chance of a CTD happening, and I believe this is due to either scripts misfiring or at the exact same time and I haven't been able to locate the cause yet.

I know it's impossible for anyone to gauge my situation based on the info I've provided, but I also don't think providing my 286 (212 active, 74 merged patches) monster of a load order will be any more clear.

I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences and maybe have some information on what I can do for future builds of my mod list to test for this

Thanks for reading!

Jintezaku (Peter)

286 (212 active, 74 merged patches) monster of a load order will be any more clear.

Sorry, but 74 merged patches just sounds crazy. Why so many? I also got a large loader (currently around 190 plugins), but I only got 5 merged files, each containing around 15 weapon or armour mods...

I guess the problem is with the large number of merges. If you have to use merges, only merge a.) simple mods (no scripts, no other fancy stuff) and b.) only merge mods of the same category (e.g. armours, weapons, generic followers). In fact, it's only these three types of mods, that are really safe to merge in Skyrim SE.

Sorry my wording was a bit off, I meant I have 74 patch files, of which I have merged those where posssible.

I did not know that only those mods could be merged, I saw some conflicting info online. I will re-do those and see if that helps, thanks!

Sorry my wording was a bit off, I meant I have 74 patch files, of which I have merged those where posssible.

I did not know that only those mods could be merged, I saw some conflicting info online. I will re-do those and see if that helps, thanks!

Sorry from my side too - I also kinda misread your post. ^^

To clarify my statement above: OFC other type of mods than generic followers, weapons and armours can (at least in theory) be merged, too. Maybe I should also have added "minor tweaks" (e.g. more gold for merchants, minor changes to locations, minor changes to the crafting system and the like) to my list.

Some years of modding Skyrim and now Skyrim SE taught me to be careful with merging though. It is OFC technically possible to merge a lot of things - but be prepared for unexpected consequences if you tinker e.g. with mods containing scripts. That's why I'm reluctant to merge anything other than the types of mods I named above.

On a side note: Merging patches is IMHO a difficult thing, because with patches, load order is crucial. You have to make sure that even after merging everything is in the correct order. It's easy to overlook something...