Can I run Skyrim at 3440 by 1440 resolution.

MikeMoss

Hi

I have a new computer but when I try and load Skyrim there is no option to set the Resolution to anything above 1920 by 1080.

All of the other games that I've installed so far, (the Elder Scrolls Online, Conan Exiles and the Witcher 3 all work fine) work fine at the new resolution so I'm assuming there is a way to get Skyrim to do so as well.

I noticed that Skyrim can't identify my graphic settings, I have a new Geforce RTX 2080 video card.

So it set everything to low settings but when I loaded the game the image was so large that I couldn't navigate because most of the buttons weren't visible.

This is weird I would think that the page would be too small, not too large.

Any help appreciated

Mike

3440x1440?

is this a 21x9 resolution? because naturally the game shows you resolutions in a 16x9 aspect ratio

so you need to either specify the different aspect ratio to get the different resolution options , or just edit the ini files

though you should note that the game isn't really meant for an ultra wide resolution , and you'll need to tweak it to run properly in such a resolution (just google Skyrim ultra wide resolution or something like that , you should see results discussing this)

also note that most mods are meant for either 16x9 or at best 16x10 resolutions , so you'll also need to check mods if they actually work with such resolutions (this is mostly about UI mods like SkyUI)

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input.

I have all the games that I'm interested in playing now installed, even The Secret World installed and displayed correctly.

The games all look great, but some of the older games don't look so up to date in this large a size.

Skyrim is the only one that didn't offer higher resolutions, I'll try the mod.

You have to see The Witcher 3 on this screen, unbelievable, it's like you are there.

I was not sure about buying a curved monitor but it looks fantastic, you don't even think about the curve, it just makes everything look more 3D.

I'll post some screen shots when I get a chance, now I'm transferring the stuff from my old computer to the new one.

Mike

I'm having problems with downloading things through Vortex, I never had problems with Mod Manger.

But I tell it to download some file like the complete wide screen mod and nothing happens I look in Vortex and nothing show up.

I did get Script Extender installed in Steam which it shows I need to do first.

Now I'm trying to do the wide screen mod but nothing happens.

I wish I could do this through Mod Manager.

I'll try again after restarting.

since you've had NMM thus far , you probably have it assigned to handle NXM links , meaning that Vortex isn't set to handle these links , which is why the downloads don't start

so you can fix this by changing Vortex to handle these links . it's somewhere in the setting , and there are several threads regarding this . unfortunately I've never personally used Vortex , so I can't give you specific instructions

if you do want to use NMM again , you can download the latest version here https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

though you'll still need to verify NMM is set to handle NXM links , but that is something you should know how to do if you've used NMM before , and this has been discussed so often over the years you're bound to find an answer if you simply search for it

hope this will fix your issue :)

Ok that fixed it and it downloaded but in only allowed my to get 2540 by 1440 resolution.

Now I've got to find the one that lets me get 3440 by 1440.

I'm having problems with that because I thought it said the download would do both.

I tried again and I see that when it I click on Download to Vortex it says it's downloading the 2540 mod.

How do I get it to download the 3440 mod?

Sorry to keep bugging you guys but this is kind of a hassle.

I'm only seeing files for 2560x1080 , and since I don't own an ultra wide screen monitor I've never tried the mod

but the author of the mod does seem to be rather active , so I would ask them about this

it could simply be a matter of installing the mod but changing the ini for your resolution , but I doubt anyone will have better answers than the mod's creator

Hi Guys

I finally found the solution.

I was editing the .ini file in the Steam Directory.

When I realized that it was having no effect on how the game opened I finally realized that, that .ini file wasn't the one that was controlling the game.

I used Agent Ransack to look for Skyrim and .ini file on my Steam drive E:\ and then on C:\ and found another one in my Users file. Should have thought of that to start with.

I edited the one in Users\Username\Documents\My Games and when I started the game is was in full UHD Wide Screen.

I have to say that it looks great.

I'm not sure what the mod did since it was a gigabyte in size so I assume it added some kind of visual enhancement.

It's possible that all you need to do it edit the .ini file.

Mike