How to place a unlighting torch?

re32767

Hello, I'm trying to place some torches which ID is 0001d4ec, the standard torch.

But I found that it would be burning if I just dragged it and placed it, unlike the situation that I dropped a torch in game.

I want to place some torches which look like merchandises, so the torches can't be burning on the table.

Thanks to your answer!

Edited by re32767

I checked and there doesn't appear to be an unlit version in the game. To obtain an unlit version you'd have to create a static version of the existing torch by unpacking the game's Mesh BSA file where that torch is located and copying the torch nif file . After that, you'd have to use nifskope to try and delete the torch's fire then, if successful, you'll give your modified torch file a unique name and place it back into your Skyrim Meshes directory. Then, you'd have to go into the CK and create your new file as a static.

Have you unpacked BSA files or used nifskope before?

Check out Campfire, by Chesko. If I recall correctly, there's a craftable torch that is unlit. What I think he does is a script, which takes that dead torch out of inventory and replaces it with a standard version, on equip. The scripting process is way over my head, but Chesko made his mods to also be modder's resources. There is a link to an easy-to-follow tutorial, as well as a provided dev kit, for modders to use his framework to make their own mods. He also includes some information on how to make your mod independent of his, so that it doesn't require campfire in order to work.

When I say easy to follow, I mean I actually managed to make working mods with it, and I know precisely nada about scripts. As the old saying goes, if I can do it...