Some modding ideas help

dragonslayer2k12

I know I had a thread here somewhere with some ideas but it is gone now. I was asking in that thread is it possible to do some things with this game and so I will try to be more specific this time.

I want to know is it possible to make the game use different mesh and textures for an item each time it is improved/smithed? There seem to be only a few levels of smithing and they top out at the legendary level. What if there was a mod that had different mesh and textures for an armor or a weapon each time it was smithed? That would be cool:-) I don't think anyone has done this yet maybe because it is not possible? I know how to use some of the basics of the creation kit... made a modded armor I found into a buyable and craftable and used by npc item and finally got it working correctly a while back. So I was looking through the menus and stuff but so far I am thinking it would have to be done with papyrus scripting? Also something that might break a mod like this would be those dragon priest masks because they lose their smithing when you put them on their storage carving in that one building later on in the game.

It just seems kinda lame to have improved something and it doesn't visually change. So here is a basic list of how this kind of mod would work.

There would be the basic version of the item that you can buy from the store or craft so it looks new or recent and then there would be the basic version that you found in a cave or a ruin so it looks old and worn out.

Smithing the found version one time at low level smithing like for example the player is only at level 10 or something, so the smithing they do is minor, that would make the worn out found item look like it was just made or bought.

After that the next level of smithing would move the item to the next mesh and texture level of that item. So there would be one set for each major level of smithing and the highest level looking the best.

Armor that has pauldrons and doodads would not have them at the lowest level. They would slowly add on as the smithing of that item went up.

Weapons would get gems and jewels added to them at the higher levels and when enchanted the gems and jewels portions would glow when the weapon is drawn like that big orc daedric hammer can't remember name atm it had that red glowing jewel in the middle.

Rings and necklaces would look crappy and basic too and as the player reached a higher smithing experience level the jewelry they create would look better and if enchanted it too would have glowing gems/jewels.

I AM NOT ASKING anyone to make this I am asking if it is possible to make this, I don't want my thread to dissapear again maybe the last one looked like I was making a request but I was not. There must be some experienced scripters here in papyrus that can tell me if this would work or not. Trying to think of some instance during a quest or in game where something similar occurs but can't remember atm.

Another idea, how to change what the player is given when they become thane?

I want to add the guard shield for each city to the items given to the player when they become thane. Currently there is one quest for solitude that gets the player the solitude shield when they complete the quest so only the rest of the city shields need to be altered but where to find the list that shows what the player is given for thane? Maybe give the player some guard armor and helmet too so it all goes together. I don't think I am the only one that hangs the city shield in the player owned house on the shield rack above the bed and puts the thane badge of office weapon that that rack too? If I find out how to do this stuff I will post it here.

Another idea, how to change what the player is given when they become thane?

I want to add the guard shield for each city to the items given to the player when they become thane. Currently there is one quest for solitude that gets the player the solitude shield when they complete the quest so only the rest of the city shields need to be altered but where to find the list that shows what the player is given for thane? Maybe give the player some guard armor and helmet too so it all goes together. I don't think I am the only one that hangs the city shield in the player owned house on the shield rack above the bed and puts the thane badge of office weapon that that rack too? If I find out how to do this stuff I will post it here.

I would say create your reference copy in the ck, then look up the scripts for becoming jarl and replace the generic "item from my armory" piece with your copied shield.

I think your idea is awesome. Several versions of the same item that get more badass every time you upgrade them. If there was a mod like this, I would actually start to improve gear with smithing. I have been messing around with adding more versions of the leveled items to accommodate higher level characters. It seems all leveled items stop at level 45 or 46+. I want to add more powerful versions up to level 200 or so.

Ok so here is how this is relevant to you. In the ck if you look at chillrend as an example, it appears as though it is several different items of the same name in a leveled item list (thats what it is). If you create a new custom weapon or armor, you can create multiple meshes and assign those meshes to the respective item ranks and put those items in a leveled item list.

If you wanted to apply this to vanilla weapons and armor, you would have to change every mesh in the game and change every item to a multiple item leveled item list, and that would be grueling, but doable.

I think it would be cool to have a weapon that has a glow effect once it is improved to its highest level.

This is all a theory so i could be wrong, but i dont think i am.

Is this a mod that you are working on? If so, I look forward to seeing the finished product

Well that is the problem with these ideas is that I am just starting out and I have no knowledge of advanced 3d modelling or texturing. Some items will require a new mesh at the higher and highest smithing levels that looks a lot better than the original and as said about weapons the gems/jewels would have to be modeled in too and textures setup properly too. So it will take some time, a long time for me to get to that point but if someone out there on these forums or elsewhere can figure out how to turn these ideas into reality that would probably go a lot faster.

I did find out today though that I am not the only one with this idea!

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1386860-improve-a-weapon-with-a-new-model/

User MrJack over there had this to say:

Perhaps there is a way of checking how much the weapon has been improved and when you reach a certain point simply replace the weapon with another weapon (with the modified model)? If there is a way to check which sHealthDataPrefixWeap# (# can be 1-6) a weapon has, then it might be possible to do a switch.

I really need to spend some time digging into the details of the creation kit it seems.

First you said you are not asking anyone to make this, you just want to know if it is possible. Then you said if someone on the forums can "figure it out," it would go a lot faster. You said your last thread about this same "idea" had disappeared and you didn't want it to "disappear again." It didn't disappear, it was called "ideas for modders," and it was posted on June 22, and it was placed (properly) in the mod requests forum. Check your content. Click your name at the top and click "my content." If you had spent the last three days going over tutorials with 3d programs and such, you would be 3 days closer to turning your idea into a reality instead of posting the same stuff that nobody wanted to reply to the first time around.

To simplify:

Yes it is possible

Do it yourself

Do your research

FYI nobody likes an idea that is expected to be planned and executed by someone else

@stemin

New here so I don't know what scripts you are talking about. Where to change what the jarl of each hold gives you? Looking through the creation kit I don't see it. I was able to get a private ebony armor mod going for myself and I tossed it into the leveled items list so it would appear all over shops and forges and cave clearing rewards but something specific like a particular quest list where is that?

Well meddling around in the creation kit I found it for the solitude thane quest where the leveled weapon is given. When in creation kit go to character/quest/favor and the thane quests are right there.

Doubleclick favor252 for the solitude thane quest and click on quest aliases tab. Look at the bottom of the list of stuff there and you see jarlweapon!

Doubleclick jarlweapon and you will notice it is called a reference alias:-)

So you could close that and then right click the next line under jarlweapon and select new reference alias then choose from the create reference to object list the item you want to also get for being thane!

Looks like I need to find a way to get each hold shield onto an object list that is selectable there it is quite a long list!

Here I was thinking I needed to get into papyrus or something complicated lol. Well at least I found it now I just need to do it:-)

Any tips that anyone wants to drop in would be appreciated though.