copying Fallout 76 esm onto Fallout 4 and check if Creationkit opens

wcho035

Hey guys, I have not got a copy of Fallout 76. I plan to get the game after it launch pending on reviews.

However, for those whom already got the Beta, can anyone test if the esm file of the game can be accessed by the Fallout 4 creation kit or Fallout 4 xedit. The esm file has to be copy into the Fallout 4 Data folder, using the Fallout 4 game engine. Should it be compatible.

thanks!

Multiple reasons this wonât work currently

1 - SeventySix.esm is likely incompatible due to significant changes between fallout4.exe and whatever the executable will be named in FO76. Default Objects between SeventySix.esm and Fallout4.esm are very much likely to be completely different as would any hardcoded ActorValues.

2 - all of the files are currently encrypted. You canât even open the INI files. Theyâre housed in tmp folders waiting for the signal to unlock and install later today. I tried popping the BA2 archives into BAE, and they fail to open

In due time, weâll have XEdit to hopefully work. But my guess at this point is that the client has a fraction of the needed file structure. The server will have the rest. Weâre running glorified render setups while the cell shuffling and value tracking is handled server side. So even if we do have XEdit, we can only do so much.

Well, has anyone tried? Likely and tried are different thing. You don't need the art files, just the esm. Put the seventy six esm into the fallout 4 data folder and try to open it like a normal esm file with the other files. If it can't open then so be it. Xedit open up fallout 4 esms only, only if the seventy six esm in fallout 4 then it would open up. I am hoping the Seventy Six esm is simliar to Fallout 4.esm, since the two game are similar.

Well, has anyone tried? Likely and tried are different thing. You don't need the art files, just the esm. Put the seventy six esm into the fallout 4 data folder and try to open it like a normal esm file with the other files. If it can't open then so be it. Xedit open up fallout 4 esms only, only if the seventy six esm in fallout 4 then it would open up. I am hoping the Seventy Six esm is simliar to Fallout 4.esm, since the two game are similar.

Just to put this to rest. It is incompatible. I can confirm, now that the files are unlocked. The FO4 CK doesn't even error when you try to load it, it just acts like it never loaded a file.

BAE does work on the archives, as expected. The new Main file is now MiscClient. I haven't looked in the INI files yet to see if we can do things like enabling loose files yet for texture/model replacers.

To add a bit more to this, you can attempt to open it in FO4Edit with a little more success - you can inspect many of the records. However, there's a dozen new kinds of record, and several have been restructured, so it errors out before finishing loading and you can't use the tools to, for instance, see where unique weapons are placed. Best you can do is things like looking through the weapon IDs to see some changes. (Laser Musket has been renamed to CUT_LaserMusket, so that's gone)

76 may be the same fundamentals but it is a new engine with revisions and improvements, so it's not gonna be trivially compatible. The art assets will probably be easier to port over since they're still .nif, .bgsm, .dds, and so on.