Mountaineering

Onar23

Skyrim is full of rocky terrain. A lot of the time, especially when fighting dragons, the mountains get in the way of the combat flow. I was wondering if someone had the idea, or if it would even be possible to add in a capability to actually climb a mountain? i.e. to climb over the top of a mountain, and maybe even rappel down, if they wanted to get fancy.

There was a great climbing mod I used to use for Oblivion - I forget what it was called, but it completely changed the dynamics of thieving. I would love to see something like that make it into Skyrim.

I can see two ways that something like this might be done... one would be the Oblivion method, which would mean that the player walks up to a wall (or other surface), holds down a key ("attaching" themselves to the wall), and uses the arrow keys to move up/down. The other, cooler, method would involve adding climbing gear, rappels, etc. to the game, as the OP suggests, and building the mod around the use of those items.

The second method would compliment hypothermia and real needs mods really, really well. It would be especially fun if someone developed a "Slippery Snow and Ice" mod to go with it!

• 2 weeks later...
I was trying to think of how to make a climb mod that works. I was thinking what if you had a power like turning into a werewolf except you turned into yourself fitted on a shrunken horse skeleton and then with not too much effort you could use all four limbs and get up the mountain. wouldnt work for ladders. there are climb animations from operation anchorage and the pitt.

There was a mod for Oblivion called pfroggy's climbing. That mod was awesome; you could climb town walls, buildings, and even trees to an extent. I'd assume that something similar would be possible for Skyrim.

I'm going to see if I can get in touch with pfroggy and ask how he did it.

Edited by Rennn

There was a mod for Oblivion called pfroggy's climbing. That mod was awesome; you could climb town walls, buildings, and even trees to an extent. I'd assume that something similar would be possible for Oblivion.

I agree, this is a great idea.

• 1 month later...

There was a mod for Oblivion called pfroggy's climbing. That mod was awesome; you could climb town walls, buildings, and even trees to an extent. I'd assume that something similar would be possible for Oblivion.

I agree, this is a great idea.

How about ropes? with so many mountains, its a crime theres no ropes.... climbing, rappelling, zip lines.... can anyone make this mod?