Looking for help with making custom ammo meshes work

beanspan

I'm helping a friend wrap up a long-gestating Fallout 3 mod and we're in that stretch of figuring out the little, annoying things. She wants to use a custom rocket/missile mesh but we've been unable to get it to work right in game - when fired it distorts the character model and in general does things that firing a weapon shouldn't do. :wallbash:

So, if anyone can help me understand the process of Blender/Nifskoping a new projectile into the game, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

beanspan - Hello!

"So, if anyone can help me understand the process of Blender/Nifskoping a new projectile into the game, I'd be very grateful. Thanks."

I've not had a lot of experience with projectiles, though I have played around with lots of other meshes.

There's quite a lot of variety in BhkCollisionObject settings depending on what your mesh is used for (Clutter,Static,Weapon, etc.).

Get those wrong & all sorts of odd things can happen including the new object crashing your game as soon as the new mesh loads up. :)

The best advice I can give is to find a vanilla object simillar to what you are trying to achieve, in this case try the vanilla missile projectile, & paste your model over that in Nifskope.

Use the "Copy Branch" on your new projectile .Nif & "Paste Branch" to place your .Nif into the Vanilla Missile .Nif then "Copy" your mesh & "Paste Over" the Missile Mesh, rename the .Nif & save.

Remember to remove any surplus blocks (Blocks left ovr that are no longer connected to the main node.

It's the best way to ensure all the settings are correct.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

beanspan - Hello!

"So, if anyone can help me understand the process of Blender/Nifskoping a new projectile into the game, I'd be very grateful. Thanks."

I've not had a lot of experience with projectiles, though I have played around with lots of other meshes.

There's quite a lot of variety in BhkCollisionObject settings depending on what your mesh is used for (Clutter,Static,Weapon, etc.).

Get those wrong & all sorts of odd things can happen including the new object crashing your game as soon as the new mesh loads up. :)

The best advice I can give is to find a vanilla object simillar to what you are trying to achieve, in this case try the vanilla missile projectile, & paste your model over that in Nifskope.

Use the "Copy Branch" on your new projectile .Nif & "Paste Branch" to place your .Nif into the Vanilla Missile .Nif then "Copy" your mesh & "Paste Over" the Missile Mesh, rename the .Nif & save.

Remember to remove any surplus blocks (Blocks left ovr that are no longer connected to the main node.

It's the best way to ensure all the settings are correct.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hey, thank you for replying. I hadn't come back to this in a couple of days. I'll try what you suggested (had some luck getting a weapon working with that method) but so far it hasn't worked with projectiles for me.