Problems creating reflective water in FO3 GECK and other troubles

RaffTheSweetling

Hi Prensa.

I didn't say thanks in my last message, and I am sorry for that. Big thanks once again for your help.

I fixed the first schematic unique weapon I believe. The "Acid Grenade" should look like a bottle with a label that says "warning - corrosive" on it. Right?

(You are really good at this stuff you know, I am guessing that you work for the nexus site.. sorry to presume.. hope you don't take offense if I'm wrong) :)

I want to add some of these weapons as static objects in my armory, but if the original submitter does not reply, how do I get permission?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griffin - Hello!

"I didn't say thanks in my last message, and I am sorry for that. Big thanks once again for your help."

You are most welcome! :)

"The "Acid Grenade" should look like a bottle with a label that says "warning - corrosive" on it. Right?"

That's it!

These are quite fun models, I had not come across them before.

It's a good way to learn about texture paths too, if you make or customise models this will be used a lot.

"(You are really good at this stuff you know, I am guessing that you work for the nexus site.. sorry to presume.. hope you don't take offense if I'm wrong)"

I don't take offense. :)

But I'm not a memeber of the Nexus team, just an ordinary member. :)

"I want to add some of these weapons as static objects in my armory, but if the original submitter does not reply, how do I get permission? "

There's a little tab, under "Unique Downloads" & next to the disc symbol for Required files that is Credits and distribution permission on all mod's pages.

New schematic weapons - modders resource by FatmanMagister has this listed:

Modification permission:

You are allowed to modify my files and release bug fixes or improve on the features so long as you credit me as the original creator

Asset use permission:

You are allowed to use the assets in this file without permission as long as you credit me

So you're safe to use those as long as you give credit to fatmanmagister.

The boeing 707 destroyed pieces by harryluck Credits and distribution permission has not been updated since this feature was brought into operation so they are set to default settings & may not truely represent the modder's wishes.

Looking through harryluck's other mods & they seem to be modder's resources with some listed explicitly as such.

To play it 100% safe you'd need to contact harryluck by pm.

My guess is they are intended to be used in mods with the appropriate credit given.

Prensa

Hey there Prensa

Once again, very good information there. Serious thanks from me.

So I think from this nifskope technique I can always check why textures aren't working and also how to customize their filepath directories this way. Which is awesome. But how would I for example be able to extract a texture from another modder's .esp?

In danthegeek's Underground Hideout he has custom-made his display walls. I can't seem to find a vanilla version, so I assume he added his own texture to make them out of a shelves unit turned around. He has packed everything into an .esp (something I have yet to learn, but will need to by the end of my mod's construction - plenty of time before needing to learn that) , yet I am using the same texture in my mod, for display walls, and I can't just find a mesh and textures to keep in a folder, instead, the mesh is searching for the undergroundhideout.esp. Which I prefer not to happen.

Is there anyway around this?

In a similar vein, When I first started modding, I opened EVERYTHING in the data list, and this includes of course all master files (.esm) so when I saved my mod back in those early days, I guess this meant that by having those mods turned on, it told the GECK that those .esp master files are to be used each time I using GECK with my own plugin as active file. In some cases the mod was never even used, or viewed, but by selecting it, it now appears in the "masters" list and automatically gets selected each time I work on my mod.

Obvious problem with this being that without those mods being available in someone's computer, I believe my mod won't work properly.

Is it possible to 'unselect' some of them? I need the Fallout .esm, all five DLC .esm, and a few others like Apocalypse Armory etc, but others I really don't want to be included as required master .esm files in my mod. :(

Also I cant change the mod file details, such as author's name, description of the plugin etc. Was this something I needed to have set in the very first moment of starting a new plugin?

Hope my queries make sense. :)

EDIT - One last question - Regarding things like FX sounds, When I place then in the cell, they can more or less be heard all over the cell. Even when I optimize the cell and use room markers and portals, the sounds don't become confined to their respective quarters, so I am hearing a mix and mash of sounds, which I obviously don't want. Do you know how to isolate sounds so they are only heard when in a particular room marker / room?

Have you played the Skyrim DLC yet? (cant remember its name - about vampires) Worth getting? I played Skyrim around 300 hours, pretty much did everything there was to do, but havent tried modding it yet. hehe, I am going a little backwards by modding FO3 first, but I'm having a lot of fun! and it is so cool that people still mod this game, so it is never too late I reckon.

Edited by RaffTheSweetling

Griffin - Hello!

"So I think from this nifskope technique I can always check why textures aren't working and also how to customize their filepath directories this way. Which is awesome."

That is correct. It's very handy to know both for fixing other mods & custom work for your mod.

"But how would I for example be able to extract a texture from another modder's .esp?"

Well textures won't be in a .esp or .esm. They are either loose, packaged in a custom .bsa for the mod or are vanilla textures being referenced in the vanilla .bsa's.

Now apart from the method of texturing meshes through Nifskope that you just used (which is the traditional method), there is another way to retexture that completely skips the model's .nif.

It's called Texture Sets, they can be found in Geck's Object Window under Miscellaneous.

You can use existing ones or make your own.

When you add an object in GECK & select the model you want you will see a box below the Model Filename browser labeled "Alternate Texture".

Clicking in the box below that will allow you to select a Texture Set to use on the model.

This is mainly useful for retexturing a model that uses the same mesh but needs a different texture.

For example, go to Object Window - Items - Armor & type:

Jumpsuit

Into the filter box.

Click on OutfitJumpsuitRedRacer.

Notice it's model is listed as the RobcoJumpsuit & if you looked at that .nif it would look like the Robco Jumpsuit.

Click on the Edit next to that model & you'll see in that "Alternate Texture" box I mentioned that it's been set to the RedRacerJumpsuit Texture Set.

OutfitJumpsuitTLHandyman is doing the same thing with another Texture set.

So you have only one model, RobcoJumpsuit, being retextured by Texture Sets into 3 different outfits.

It's a handy way to save space, it really only works for objects that are simillar & use the same UV map though.

"In a similar vein, When I first started modding, I opened EVERYTHING in the data list, and this includes of course all master files (.esm) so when I saved my mod back in those early days, I guess this meant that by having those mods turned on, it told the GECK that those .esp master files are to be used each time I using GECK with my own plugin as active file. In some cases the mod was never even used, or viewed, but by selecting it, it now appears in the "masters" list and automatically gets selected each time I work on my mod.

Obvious problem with this being that without those mods being available in someone's computer, I believe my mod won't work properly.

Is it possible to 'unselect' some of them? I need the Fallout .esm, all five DLC .esm, and a few others like Apocalypse Armory etc, but others I really don't want to be included as required master .esm files in my mod."

Yes, a common problem, multiple unused masters. :)

The problem is exactly as you say, anyone using such a mod would need all those masters.

The fix is very simple using FO3Edit, provided you have definitely not used any objects from these other files listed as masters. That would require rmoving those references first.

Assuming you have nothing from those unwanted masters, BACKUP your mod BEFORE trying this, just to be safe. :)

Open FO3Edit & wait for it to finish loading.

Go to your mod, expand it's details by left clicking on the + next to it.

Left Click on the top branch called "File Header".

Details will come up in the right window, at the bottom will be listed all the Master Files your plugin has set. Obviously Fallout3.esm will be there, go through & for any that are not meant to be used right click on the empty space that lines up with the words "Master File" above the name of the Master File you want to remove. The option to "Remove" will come up, click on that.

When you've removed all the masters that you want rid of, close FO3Edit. It will ask you to save changes to your mod, click OK. If any other mod shows up, untick it BEFORE closing FO3Edit.

As I say, simple as long as you are not using anything from that unwanted master.

If you have made accidental use of those mods, remember that cleaning method I mentioned before of going through your mod in FO3Edit & removing unwanted edits?

"Also I cant change the mod file details, such as author's name, description of the plugin etc. Was this something I needed to have set in the very first moment of starting a new plugin?"

In GECK, go to File - Data & left click on your mod.

The "Default" in the Created by box should go from greyed out to black.

You can now type in the authors name (yours!) & fill out the summary box underneath. Click OK when you're done.

Now Win7 & probably Vista users may have GECK throw a fit trying to do this.

In that case, when you start GECK, simply right click on the GECK icon & "Run as administrator". You should be allowed to edit those details as above now.

You can also use FO3Edit & go to the File Header section mentioned above & edit the Author & Description in there.

"EDIT - One last question - Regarding things like FX sounds, When I place then in the cell, they can more or less be heard all over the cell. Even when I optimize the cell and use room markers and portals, the sounds don't become confined to their respective quarters, so I am hearing a mix and mash of sounds, which I obviously don't want. Do you know how to isolate sounds so they are only heard when in a particular room marker / room?"

You can modify a sound markers settings to reduce how far away it can be heard, best to change it's ID obviously & make it a new object unique to your mod as normal.

Open up the Sound object (green flared disk), change ID, then:

Minimum Attenuation Distance = how close you have to be to hear the sound at it's loudest.

Maximum Attenuation Distance = how far awy you are for the sound to be at it's quietest before cutting out completely.

There's other settings to, list of those can be found here:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Sound

Phew. Covered a lot. :)

"Have you played the Skyrim DLC yet?"

Not got Skyrim yet, I always hold out for the GOTY versions of Bethesda games.

STEAM is putting me right off too. :(

If I buy a game, I like to physically have that game without strings attached.

I might give in some day.

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Hi Prensa

Thanks for the great message.

OK, so I tried the FO3Edit technique and I did not go according to plan. I did make a backup, but let me describe the outcome of doing what you suggested. Really weird stuff.

My Parent Master list, as it stood, and like I said, it had a lot of unwanted Parent Master .esm files in it; was as follows:

Fallout3.esm

Fallout3.exe

Anchorage.esm

ThePitt.esm

Streetlights.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

PointLookout.esm

Zeta.esm

CRAFT.esm

CALIBR.esm

ArefuExpandedByAzar.esm

Mothership Crew.esm

EVE.esm

Apocalypse Armory.esm

Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm

DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm

DCInteriors_Sidequests.esm

Farpost Hollow_v1.esm

HeritageIndustriesVault.esm (my project)

Of these, I removed Farpost Hollow, DCInteriors Sidequests, Enhanced Weather and Streetlights in the manner you described.

When I loaded my plugin just now, I noticed that assets from DLC plugins like the Point Lookout aviary and hydroponic systems, and even vanilla assets like the Enclave Force Field barrier were absent. And this was only looking in one cell. I am sure other things must also be missing all over the plugin.

When I checked the data file list while GECK was running, and looked at what Parent Master Files were currently active, all the files in the list shown above were still active, including the ones I had removed.

I can't make heads or tails of this.

Any advice? Currently I am going back to check the backup copy is fine.

Next problem, as mentioned earlier, is FOMM still won't load up. So I can only boot up FO3 by using FOSE at the moment, and this means I can't manage my mods at all.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it about 5 times. In the past I have had troubles when turning off my computer to find FOMM wouldn't load, or took longer to load and appear. This problem always solved be quickly reinstalling it.

This time It won't work at all. :(

Really hope you don't mind my constant, constant need for your help.

I deeply appreciate all that you've done for me thus far. Your replies here really should go into a sticky thread somewhere because they are very, very useful and good. :)

Griffin

Griffin - Hello!

"OK, so I tried the FO3Edit technique and I did not go according to plan. I did make a backup"

Don't wory, that's what backups are for. :)

No need to worry if the one you tweaked's gone south, just replace with the backup.

"My Parent Master list, as it stood, and like I said, it had a lot of unwanted Parent Master .esm files in it; was as follows:"

Good grief! That's a lot of masters. :)

In FO3Edit, you clicked on the word "Remove" right? Not just Deleted the Master's name with the edit function?

"When I checked the data file list while GECK was running, and looked at what Parent Master Files were currently active, all the files in the list shown above were still active, including the ones I had removed."

They are ticked in the Data list in GECK? All files will show but only those ticked are in use by your mod.

Go back to your backup & try a different method to remove the masters.

Again, make a backup of your mod before doing this.

Run GECK, if you are on Vista or Win7 you will need to Run as Administrator for this to work.

Go to File - Data & left click on your mod.

In the box that says Parent Masters click on the master you want to remove & press the Delete button.

Repeat with the other unwanted masters.

See how this turns out. :)

If it's goofed up still, go back to your Backup.

Check through your mod in FO3Edit (having Backed it up first) & make sure there are no items/references from those unwanted Masters in there.

Be thorough, expand all details.

Even if you just moved an item slightly while you had the unwanted plugin listed as a master it will now count as a genuine master.

You have to remove those kind of things before removing the unwanted masters.

You can quickly spot things unique to your mod as they will begin with the two characters lested to the left of your mods name in FO3Edit.

example:

[75] MyMod.esp

All your unique records will start with 70.

Anything from Fallout will be 00.

check the numbers for the mods you know to be genuine master so you can ignore them as you go through your mod.

Look out for numbers from mods you believe are not meant to be masters.

When you find any of those, make sure it's not something you want to keep, then Remove.

When you've cleaned you mod, go back to my instructions in my last post to try & rmove those unwanted masters with FO3Edit.

"Next problem, as mentioned earlier, is FOMM still won't load up. So I can only boot up FO3 by using FOSE at the moment, and this means I can't manage my mods at all.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it about 5 times. In the past I have had troubles when turning off my computer to find FOMM wouldn't load, or took longer to load and appear. This problem always solved be quickly reinstalling it.

This time It won't work at all. "

This has me stumped, I've never had FOMM stop working.

Have you tried running it straight from the folder?

Fallout 3\fomm

Click on the Fomm.exe

Have you tried uninstalling FOMM before reinstalling?

There's an uninstaller for it in it's folder here:

Fallout 3\fomm\uninstall

Or in the Star Menu under Fallout Mod Manager.

You may want to back up the "mods" & "overwrites" folders in:

Fallout 3\fomm

In case it wipes them when you uninstall.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hi Prensa

Yup, baby has been keeping us up here, oh well!

I haven't tried those steps using FO3edit yet, but will give it a try. My mod list is a bit tweaked, and needs to be cleaned up. As does my own mod, with too many junk edits needing to be removed.

I keep going through those replies of yours, checking your suggestions, and want to say thanks again for such great help!

Speaking of mods... I have long contemplated the "second playthrough" for fallout 3 and like many others, want to make it bigger and better, so (and hopefully with a better PC) I would like your opinions on a few big grandiose mods.

FWE

Project Beauty

FOOK2

Realtime Settler

DARN UI

I am already using EVE , AA, CALIBR and CRAFT and with the addition of these five apparently great mods, I would like to make the system really intense, beautiful, challenging and BIG.

The thing is, looking at something like FWE or FOOK2, I see SO MANY patches, and plugins for using this with that and that with this, and it is incredibly confusing. Like would I need to remove EVE and use the FWE EVE patch? etc. This kind of thing is hard to know without committing to downloading this and that. And sometimes it isn't worth it.

If you know what I mean, and have this type of set up, can you suggest a really kickass and optimal set up for me to try out? Would be much appreciated.

Griffin

Griffin - Hello!

"Yup, baby has been keeping us up here, oh well!"

Just wait 'till she starts teething. :)

"I keep going through those replies of yours, checking your suggestions, and want to say thanks again for such great help!"

Happy to help where I can. :)

"Speaking of mods... I have long contemplated the "second playthrough" for fallout 3 and like many others, want to make it bigger and better, so (and hopefully with a better PC) I would like your opinions on a few big grandiose mods."

I tried Project Beauty a while back, I liked some of the new faces very much but found some of my old favourite vanilla characters were quite changed.

It's really a matter of personal taste, the mod itself is done very well with lots of work gone into the new look faces.

FWE & Fook2 - I've never tried them, I've always been happy with the general mechanics of the vanilla game.

Both are major overhauls & have their supporters. I'd say FWE seems to have the most patches available to help it work with other mods.

Realtime Settler - Again, never tried this. I downloaded it some time ago but not got around to checking it yet.

DARN UI - Very popular User Interface modifier. Lots of customization options to suit different tastes. I've tried it, out of curiosity, & found that while very well done it changed the "feel" of the game to much for me. Again, really a taste call.

It does work really well with grenade hotkeys mod though, you get little images of the grenades when using the two.

"The thing is, looking at something like FWE or FOOK2, I see SO MANY patches, and plugins for using this with that and that with this, and it is incredibly confusing. "

FWE has a good load order guide that shows how things should be set up like FWE/EVE, FWE/MMM.

I've used it to advise others of FWE/MMM load order many times in the past, it can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/fo3wanderersedition/installation

"I am already using EVE , AA, CALIBR and CRAFT"

Yes, Thogun's Apocalypse Armory is my weapons mod of choice too.

Great expansion of existing weapons but with a great deal of care in their selection so that they fit in with Fallout 3's style. Many are from previous games & those that are not, feel like they are.

CALIBR's great to help bring different weapons mods together & adds a touch of realism to weapon's ammo.

"If you know what I mean, and have this type of set up, can you suggest a really kickass and optimal set up for me to try out?"

As far as big gameplay changing mods go, FWE & FOOK2 are the most popular but as I say, I don't use either.

I like mods that expand the existing feel more than massive gameplay changes. just my taste.

You've already got Apocalypse Armory, great way to expand the weapons.

I'd not play without Mart's Mutant Mod:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/3211

The best creature expanding mod, adds greater variety to many of the existing creatures with new textures plus several new creatures (from previouse Fallout games).

MMM is highly customizable (even got it's own in game menu), most new creatures can be chosen or left out, spawns can be increased a little, a lot, or left as is.

There are many new features like robots exploding after being destroyed & Feral Ghouls getting back up after being put down (shoot 'em in the head!).

A real classy piece of work. It will also work with FWE with the FOIP patches:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/4968

MMM feels like a part of the game rather than a mod.

Fallout 3's biggest flaw to my mind is the over abundance of boarded up buildings & thus lack of explorable interiors.

Morrowind & Oblivion had tons of these & the lack of places to explore was very sad in an otherwise brilliant game.

Fortunately there are several interior expansion mods out there, the king among these is Chucksteel's DCInteriors Project:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/5573

Masses of buildings are explorable with this mod, ready to loot & places to hide from those MMM creatures. :)

DCInteriors is not just extra locations either, it's a work of beauty with the interiors being of a very quality & in keeping with Fallout's retro 50's future feel.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention BusWorld:

Busworld - Better English Translation by summel pintocat and Gribbleshnibit8

Another great addition for those that like to loot & explore, this one allows access to all of those buses & train cars in Fallout 3.

Fallout Street lights:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8069

Adds a great deal of atmosphere to the game, especially when combined with a weather mod (& the darker nights that usually entails).

Speaking of weather mods:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/6170

That's a good solid rain & snow mod.

Or for even more varied weather including snadstorms:

Dynamic Weather by Xepha

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/10607

Not a "big" mod but one of the most professionally executed quest mods I've come across:

Solar Scorcher by WillieSea

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/13866

Fun little quest, great weapon to be earned & even lore friendly references to previous games (that includes classic Trek's City on the Edge of Forever!). Like I say, so well done it feels like a mini DLC.

Oh & a mod that no Fallout 3 gamer should be without:

Super-Duper Non Bleeding Checkout

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/16573

Okay not essential, just a shameless plug of one of my tiny fixes. :) It does fix the bleeding checkouts at the Super Duper Mart.

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Hehe, heya Prensa. Thanks for replying.

OK, so regarding the mods I mentioned first, cheers for your input. I reckon you are right, it is a matter of taste. I think I might try those someday, but like yourself, I really love the way the game is setup right now, so maybe they aren't for me anyway.

Regarding getting permission for my mod - Thogun kindly granted me use of his mod in mine. I will make my mod use AA as a required download in order to do so. :)

Danthegeek also incredibly graciously allowed me the same freedom with his work :)

About the mods you mentioned -

MMM, been using it for ever. LOVE IT!!. Love the weird mutants, Iguanas (lol) and yeah, agreed, it is a great mod.

Streetlights. Got it. (Because Fellout made the world so damn dark)

Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow is the weather mod I use, and it is good, but I feel it gets old fast (too much acid rain and RADs all the time, and hearing thunder underground or on the moon (Mothership Zeta Crew) is just ridiculous and does detract from an otherwise great mod. I might check out the one you recommend. Sandstorms sound cool.

D.C. Interiors. Love it. been using it for a while and have hardly scratched its surface. I do think a patch needs to be made to make this mod and CUBE Experimental non-conflicting (they share the same door. CUBE Experimental's use of said door being paramount and D.C. Interiors Project's use of the door is trifling and could be deleted without any harm done to the amazing overall integrity of ChuckSteel's work. imho)

Haven't played Solar Scorcher, but have it on my list to go. I Just did Nightmare Realm and loved it yet felt burned that I didn't get to keep my items at the end.

I want to play Project Genesis and Quest for Heaven series next, and maybe try to finish CUBE, which is really hard. And slow on my computer.

I also recommend Arefu Expanded and Mothership Zeta Crew - the latter being damn professional and HUGE, Arefu is a classy act too though.

Hey, I still don't know why my game always crashed on quitting. I disabled many mods, including my own mod. And this didn't make any difference. Always crashes when I quit :( Weird.

Also to fix my FOMM problem, I went with the "old" FOMM, installing it instead of trying to get the "New" FOMM (GEMM) to ever start working again, which it wouldn't. And this works fine. And it seems a little friendlier too. Nice :)

I'm gonna try Busworld. Sounds great. I love mod's that add to the world. Oh yeah - Shadows and Dust., and New Office, New Mall, are some such mods. And nicely made.

(Actually I am pretty sure you don't need me telling you any of this hehe)

Finally, - Morrowind - Loved it. Absolutely Loved It!!! My specific character choice for Bethsoft games started here, with my thief class Khajit, named "Invisible Hands".

Oblivion, Good, but not Great.

Skyrim - EPIC, but flawed. Too many bugs. But loved it anyway. All three, I used my same character. (also in FO3, but sadly not a Khajit)

Fallout New Vegas - Havent played it yet. But If I can find a good copy of the Ultimate Edition version somewhere on sale perhaps lol, I will check it out too :)

Thanks always Prensa :)

EDIT - :(

I committed to the big mod change overhaul last night. And spent the better part of today trying to reverse the damage done by installing the mods I did.

I went with:

FWE

Project Beauty

RH Ironsights

Xepha's Dynamic Weather

Impervious Power Armor

Companion Core

Wasteland Whisperer

RobCo Certified

Busworld

Dogmeat Leather Armor

Realistic Interior Lighting

Megaton Lights

I also tried to instal DarnUi, but when I used FOMM to open the DarnUi FOMOD it would not do it, and I kept getting an unusual error message. So I could not activate the it at all. Weird.

After carefully installing all of these mods. I got a crash on launch, so I started going through and systematically turning them off. One by one. All the way to leaving only Vanilla ESMs still selected. And, now this is CRAZY, the game still crashed. I now have had to delete the entire DATA folder and copy a backup in its place.

I don't know what the hell caused that. Really a bummer.

Will at least teach me to download, install and check mods on at a time, instead of installing a dozen new mods and installing them all at once, and then checking. That was stupid. :(

Griffin - Hello!

"Also to fix my FOMM problem, I went with the "old" FOMM, installing it instead of trying to get the "New" FOMM (GEMM) to ever start working again, which it wouldn't. And this works fine. And it seems a little friendlier too. Nice"

Yes, I've always stuck to "Old" FOMM. Since I don't have New Vegas & am more than happy with "Old" FOMM there was no point. :)

"Finally, - Morrowind - Loved it. Absolutely Loved It!!! "

I don't know how many hours I played that! I still play it from time to time. :)

"Oblivion, Good, but not Great."

I love Oblivion, took some time to adapt after Morrowind because a the subtle changes but I grew to love it as much.

I love how Sweet rolls keep croping up in Bethesda games, I smiled when they turned up in Fallout 3. :)

"Fallout New Vegas - Havent played it yet. "

One word, STEAM. The only reason I don't own the Ultimate (GOTY) edition of New Vegas.

I wish Bethesda would at least make the GOTY's, that are released a long time after a game premieres, non STEAM. :(

"Hey, I still don't know why my game always crashed on quitting. I disabled many mods, including my own mod. And this didn't make any difference. Always crashes when I quit "

Not unusual, happened to me on Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3. Minor really.

Fallout Stutter Remover has a clean exit setting in it's .ini that may help.

If you use Stutter Remover (requires FOSE), edit the .ini in:

Fallout 3\Data\fose\plugins

& change:

bFastExit = 0

To:

bFastExit = 1

See if that helps.

"I committed to the big mod change overhaul last night. And spent the better part of today trying to reverse the damage done by installing the mods I did."

Uh-oh. :O

"I also tried to instal DarnUi"

The FOMOD of that edits your .ini automatically.

If you manually install it you have to make the .ini change yourself.

There's a very good installation .pdf included with DarnUI to tell you what to do.

It's in the Docs folder of the non FOMM version.

DarnUI also requires FOSE to work.

DarnUI can be found here:

http://ui.darnified.net/wip/F3/

Direct link to manual version:

http://ui.darnified.net/wip/F3/dui_f3a11.7z

Direct link to FOMOD version:

http://ui.darnified.net/wip/F3/dui_f3a11.zip

Direct link to the hot fix:

http://ui.darnified.net/wip/F3/dui_f3a11_HF.7z

"After carefully installing all of these mods. I got a crash on launch, so I started going through and systematically turning them off. One by one. All the way to leaving only Vanilla ESMs still selected. And, now this is CRAZY, the game still crashed."

Crash on launch of Fallout 3 with mods is almost always due to a missing master.

A very quick way, after your game crashes on startup, to check if you're missing a master is to left click on your mods in FOMM. That will make a list of the selected plugins masters appear at the bottom of FOMM. Any listed master missing from your load order will mean Fallout 3 will crash on startup.

If it's happening without any mods active at all, it could have been your .ini.

Deleting or moving the .ini & restarting Fallout 3 would remake the .ini.

"Will at least teach me to download, install and check mods on at a time, instead of installing a dozen new mods and installing them all at once, and then checking. That was stupid. "

One mod install at a time is the best way to go.

I always check one mod out at a time, making sure to start a new savgame thus leaving old saves to go back to if something really bad happens. :)

Hope it's all working again now!

Prensa