Ashbringer

Shady_Sam

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making the Ashbringer from World of Warcraft. I've always loved the sword, and the lore behind it.

There is already one on the Nexus (

), but it's rather low res, scaled incorrectly (size wise, it's about half the length of an iron claymore, which in WoW, it reached to at least people's calves/ankles), and uses an iron claymore mesh for the blood and gore, so the blood and gore ends up a couple feet ahead of the actual visible blade. The mod author is apparently not updating it, or has any plans to do so. I tried making my own, but 3d modelling isn't really my calling.

Surprisingly, there's very little concept art/fan art found of it through a google image search, but these are the best images I could find that accurately depict it in a concept-like way. I have one other request as well, when making this sword, if you could make it look more..."realistic", please do so. The model from WoW is more or less rather cartoon like, and wouldn't fit into Skyrim very well. The symbols are pretty much impossible to make out, or even to tell what language they're in, so whoever takes up this project can decide what symbols are to be engraved on the sword (if they choose to engrave them at all).

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011/033/8/8/the_ashbringer_by_gift_of_the_goddess-d38mr98.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/312/1/8/Ashbringer___WoW_by_Laitz.jpg

Also, for anyone interested in the story behind the blade, although I doubt it makes much sense without context.

During the assault on Blackrock Spire in the Second War, Highlord Mograine of the Silver Hand claimed a mysterious dark crystal from a dead orc warlock. The crystal was the "living embodiment of shadow," and originated from Draenor. Upon touching it, Mograine's hand became tainted, It transformed into a hand like undead that could not be healed.

Mograine kept the crystal a secret until the first whispers of the Scourge reached Lordaeron. He revealed it to the other leaders of the Silver Hand, suggesting that they search for the crystal's polar opposite — a manifestation of the Holy Light itself — to be used against the impending undead holocaust. Mograine's peers, appalled at the sight of this dark crystal, attempted to destroy it with a holy spell. Unexpectedly, the crystal absorbed the spell and became its antithesis, the very crystal of pure light that Mograine suggested moments before. It was decided that from this crystal a weapon would be forged that would smite the undead with such power that only a cloud of ash would remain in its wake — The Ashbringer.

Mograine and Fairbanks traveled to Ironforge, where King Magni Bronzebeard forged the blade himself upon The Great Anvil, infusing it with rage and vengeance for his brother Muradin Bronzebeard whom was believed to have fallen before Frostmourne.

After the Silver Hand was dissolved following Arthas' betrayal, the remaining leaders banded together to fight the undead of the now-Plaguelands. The Ashbringer became the most lethal weapon in their arsenal — so much so that it quickly garnered the attention of Kel'Thuzad. Balnazzar, in the newly possessed body of Grand Crusader Saidan Dathrohan, sought to secretly manipulate the remnants of the Silver Hand for the purposes of the Burning Legion. After Mograine stated his intentions to attack the Undercity, Balnazzar put plans into motion to eliminate the Highlord in order to protect his brother, Varimathras, who in turn was manipulating Sylvanas Windrunner and her Forsaken.

Balnazzar made a pact with Kel'Thuzad to eliminate the Highlord: the bane of the Scourge would be destroyed, and the dreadlords' agendas would continue. He corrupted Mograine's son, Renault, and made plans to set a trap for the Highlord. Renault led his father and High Inquisitor Fairbanks to Stratholme, where the legions of the Scourge awaited them. Renault fled and hid while Mograine and Fairbanks fended for themselves. Fairbanks eventually became trapped alive under a pile of corpses. Mograine alone continued to smite thousands of the undead with ease, but was eventually wearied and dropped his blade in fatigue. Renault came out of hiding to exploit his father's vulnerable state. He took up the Ashbringer and slew his father, which simultaneously corrupted the blade by using it for such a treacherous act. Meanwhile, Kel'Thuzad resurrected Mograine as one of his death knights of Naxxramas and reclaimed his corrupted blade. Renault became Commander of the Scarlet Monastery, and Balnazzar gained complete authority over the Scarlet Crusade.

Seeking to free his father, Darion Mograine led a mission into Naxxramas with a small party of Argent Dawn members. Upon finding him, Alexandros was unresponsive to his son's pleas and attempts to redeem him, forcing Darion to reluctantly kill him. Darion then came into possession of the Corrupted Ashbringer. He immediately heard his father's voice through the Ashbringer, which led him to a portal and back to the Plaguelands. The voice then led Darion to Renault at the Scarlet Monastery where he confronted his brother, who lashed out and attempted to kill him. Before Renault was able to deal the final blow, the Corrupted Ashbringer acted on its own, emitting an aura of green flames which took on the form of Alexandros, garbed in Dreadnaught armor. Renault begged for forgiveness and was quickly decapitated by his father, who then said he was forgiven. The spirit of Alexandros then retreated back into the blade.

Some time later, during a Scourge assault on Light's Hope Chapel, Darion impaled himself with the corrupted Ashbringer in attempt to free his father. He was resurrected as a death knight and became Highlord of the Death Knights of Acherus. - Wowpedia