F76 Blood Splatter

osirisching

The tool authors have made it clear they don't want their tools used to mod Fallout:76- which makes things 'diificult' for sites like Nexus that claim everyone needs to give coninuous 'permission' for everything, rather than follow the Open Source licence model.

And Beth is on the edge of implementing the cheap and nasty 'anti-cheat' method of inspecting the files on your machine to ensure they remain 'unaltered'. Which puts another dampener on the enthusiasm for many modders to create texture replacements for FO76.

Many online game devs have banned a significant proportion of their customers for altering their game files.

Most current modders are waiting for the 'official' word from Beth- but that word has already been given - "NO third party mods". So we are in phony war period when modders COULD be delivering large numbers of straightforward 'easy' mods like texture replacers- but instead they hold back.

But the very frequent updates from Beth- which are clearly going to continue at tens of gigabytes a week at the very least for the foreseeable future- also mess with the unofficial modding scene. How do you stop the update wiping your mods. At the mo, you cannot, so mods would need to be reapplied each time AFTER it was determined that the target files had not changed in the meantime.

I'm not sure why the Nexus opened up a Fallout 76 modding section at this time. If the idea was to force Bethesda's hand, well there are a ton of actions Beth could take in response that really would not bode well for this site in general. The press, and the gaming press in general, are currently VERY big on DEMONISATION- especially the demonisation of USER-friendly internet resources. The whole "most legal things are acceptable here" could be easily used by Beth's PR teams to paint a giant target on this site.

So your simple request for better blood splatters really opens a can of worms. Beth would NOT want the expression of 'adult' ideas like 'gore' in this game to come under the control of the users. Beth will defend their own decisions- but they do not want to defend YOUR ideas or mine in a 'multi-player' experience. Why do you think text chat ain't in the game?

In the USA, recording AUDIO comes under WIRE-TAPPING laws (laws that were passed to prevent newspapers from gathering the taped evidence of government officials and politicians accepting bribes originally). So user SPEECH in Fallout:76 won't be used against Beth. But written words are different. Beth did not want the press reporting and expressing outrage at the words TYPED by some gamers. So no text chat.

Small dev hardcore survival games like Rust get away with everything, cos they are a niche aimed at hard core gamers. But Fallout:76 is as mainstream as it gets- don't be fooled by the game's 'adult' rating. Beth HOPES the game is so successful, it is under a constant press microscope and many modders from older Beth games also FEAR this 'microscope'. A lot of people are nervous, scared and keeping their distance (modwise).

The irony is that the one group who ain't cautious are the true hackers of games. So the 'mod' scene will be replaced by a very thorough hacking and cheating scene. The game has already been hacked to heck and back (the 'power gamers' youtube streams always rely on hacks and cheats). The true skilled hackers take a pride on how long they can use hacks WITHOUT being discovered. Only sad amateurs use obvious 'aimbots' and 'wallhacks'.

Beth has simply replaced one third party coding scene with another.

If you want to really know what is likely to come from our side of the community, go research similar online games and look to see what the extent of mods for those games are like.

Edited by zanity

Well, that's an awful long answer for a simple question...

So here's a simple answer that actually respond to your question:
Is it hard to do? No, it's actually rather simple as it's only a texture replacement. You can even use Fallout 4 blood/gore texture mods for Fallout 76 as it's the same files located in the same folder. Though you may have to convert them to the DDS compression that FO76 is using.

The tool authors have made it clear they don't want their tools used to mod Fallout:76- which makes things 'diificult' for sites like Nexus that claim everyone needs to give coninuous 'permission' for everything, rather than follow the Open Source licence model.

Yeah, that's why the tool authors updated their tools for Fallout 76, so nobody use them to mod Fallout 76, right? If tool authors didn't want anybody to use their tools with Fallout 76, maybe they wouldn't have updated and uploaded them in the first place, don't you think?

And Beth is on the edge of implementing the cheap and nasty 'anti-cheat' method of inspecting the files on your machine to ensure they remain 'unaltered'. Which puts another dampener on the enthusiasm for many modders to create texture replacements for FO76.

Source? I didn't see any official statement from Bethesda about that. To be clear, I'm not denying that it might happen. But if they didn't want modding to happen (before it's officially supported that is), maybe they should have though about it before releasing the game? I mean, they could just have prevented the game to load any non-official .BA2 archives and that would have blocked any modding to be done. But they didn't... And it's not like it was a supprise that people would try to mod their game at soon as the game was release, they know how big is the modding community with their games.

So your simple request for better blood splatters really opens a can of worms. Beth would NOT want the expression of 'adult' ideas like 'gore' in this game to come under the control of the users. Beth will defend their own decisions- but they do not want to defend YOUR ideas or mine in a 'multi-player' experience. Why do you think text chat ain't in the game?

Your "can of worms" was already openned, at it was even openned during the beta. And for the rest of your post... All the mods (and I'm talking about textures, materials, models and interface editing/replacement) that can be done are only user-side modification, other people won't see any of your modification you're doing unless they use the same mods.
And text chat is an entirely different problem. On a side note Bethesda seems to have planned (at some point) to add a text chat, as records has been found on the interface about a potential text chat. I'd like to link you the post with the sceenshot that show that, but I can't find the post on reddit...

Edited by Mkdo40