Question on number of savegames allowed.

Sinapus

Essentially, I keep reading references of problems once you get a certain number of savegames made for FO4 and I'm wondering if there's a hard number or even a general range of saves that the game can have before problems erupt.

Currently I'm trimming the number of active saves I have by deleting them as I go, pruning their numbers down and such. Though I was considering switching between characters when I feel like it and that will likely increase the number of saves I have made for the game and I am curious to know when I should start worrying.

I did a search in this forum and the mod troubleshooting forum as well as a web search but couldn't find anything definitive. So I apologize if this is known and I simply missed it.

Never really thought about that. Got a save folder of 4.3G and no problems :smile:

*checks own mod folder*

Hm. I have about 400mb. So I may be worrying about nothing then. :D

I have 16.6gbs

613 files. These include my saves when the game came out.

I have never had save issues with Bethesda games. I always used SSDs or 10,000rpm HDs since Oblivion.

I read about this as well and it may be a thing on some hardware configurations.

The only (minor) performance impact you'll notice when you have a lot of save files is right at the beginning when the main menu is loading, in the form of audio/video stutters, pops or mini freezes. Fallout4 scans all the save files to bring up certain info from them (mini thumbnail, name of character, game-time etc) Obviously the more you have in your save folder, the longer it'll take for the game to read all that data.

Not sure how SSD's fare, I'm just going on HDD performance - if that's what you're using, backing-up all your saves, and only keeping the most recent 10 or so should be fine.

A bigger problem with save files is 'savebloat', due to the save file containing references to mods that were used at one time or another in that saves history, but have since been uninstalled.

A bigger problem with save files is 'savebloat', due to the save file containing references to mods that were used at one time or another in that saves history, but have since been uninstalled.

I usually load a save made before I installed the mod to avoid that bloating. Or try to, at least.