ancient kings armor

frankdema

hi guys, i've worked on the second armor project of my entire modding experience for 2 or 3 weeks now, and i decided that it is the time to make a forum thread for it to receive suggestions and criticism,

basically this armor is designed for a warrior character, but i wanted to create a story behind it, that's why it is called the ancient kings armor, i tried to give it the feel of a magnificent armor used by all the ancient kings and conquerors of the humans from the atmorian times to the skyrim ones.

i decided that there will be two versions avaiable of the armor: a "nordic conqueror" version and a "wise king" version or a clean version without any accessories and composed only by the base armor shape.

here are some wip shot of what i've done so far

pants come from the male version of the saskia armor ported by lordofwar into skyrim

the base textures for the armor come from ornate steel plate armor by PhilSchmidheiny

and the legolas dagger comes from the lotr weapon pack by isilmeriel

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/3805873-1341141938.jpg

my new texture engravings on the torso plate, they represent the sacrifice of odin illustration by lorenz frolich wich i used as a base to create it.

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/3805873-1341219749.jpg

i will not update this thread daily because i don't have so much time, but i will try to be the more constant as possible in my updatings so that you could give me your advice and your suggestion to make this armor enjoyable by every lore friendly fan here on the nexus :D. for me the best repayment for this work is your entertainment ( and endorsements of course wich are always acceptable :) )

thank you in advance!

let your imagination work

and sorry for my englis

-Frank

Edited by frankdema

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thye clean version looks like the one in the picture but without any accessories and maybe with a different color path, however there will also be an optional version without the skulls on the conqueror armor for those who don't like the gore....

do you think the skulls are better on the left? i oiginally planned to put them on the left part of the armor in order to create a humiliation symbol for the skulls of the defeated kings however i feared some clipping issue with the weapons so i placed them on the right....

Edited by frankdema

Guest deleted2588518

I don't normally do this... Saw this and wanted to give a bit of constructive criticism.

The model looks good, the art and placement looks good. Colors are a bit drab but relate to the primary suit of armor used. Skulls are a bit out of place for a King's suit of armor. I would expect that kind of ornamentation from an Orc not a Norde King. Also, this suit of armor doesn't feel 'Ancient'. It uses a model that is very close to the modern armor being worn by bandit chiefs and mercs in the current time period. I understand why it was used and the limitations of models, but it still doesn't have that feeling of 'Ancient'. Look how dramatic the difference is between the Ancient Norde plate and the Modern Steel Plate in the vanilla game.

Bottom line, it looks good and you're doing good work. Maybe it needs a different name scheme? Jarl's Plate or Warlords Ornamental Plate. The 'Ancient' in the name just doesn't fit.

thank you for the suggestions, actually you are right, the armor does not look very ancient, i will try to think about some other type of story for the release, however that is something that will come after when i will create the armor esp, as i said i don't want to make this armor craftable, i want to make it unique in the game and with a good story behind it, like for exaple the black sting mod, where the two swords had a cool story behind them.

i can also work on the textures in order to give them a more old look and then make the armor upgradable and improved on the workbench, obtaining an armor with more polished and shiny textures.

as for the skulls, i will keep them optional for those who like this type of decorations (me for exaple) and this is the conqueror version of the armor so i have to give it something that could match the theme of the set...

do you guys have some ideas on what to add as accessories to the wise king version of the armor?

Guest deleted2588518

A type of helm that has a crown built into it.

http://getasword.com/3079-thickbox/medieval-helmet-of-king-richard.jpg

Using this image ONLY AS AN EXAMPLE. Its for a king. A king needs a crown. =) Although in Skyrim there aren't any. Jarl's wear a circlet for some strange reason... and the helms they do have look nothing like a crown. *shrug* See if the other TES games offer a style (or maybe even a model and texture you can work with) that is lore friendly. Remember that Skyrim takes place long after the other TES games. Nothing wrong with using lore friendly imagery from those other games and call it 'Ancient'. (because it would be in skyrim)

Looking forward to what you produce. The more armor/weapons options in these games the better.

actually i was already working on something similar with the only crown in skyrim -.- (wich i really don't like) but i was thinking about create it by myself and model it even if it will be not so easy since i've never modelled anything in blender yet, (as i said in the description this is my second work and hopefully my second mod).

just to give you an idea of what i was working on but then i decided to quit (i still have the blend file however if someone likes it and wants it as an optional file)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2395/coronavk.jpg

better the long skirt or the short one? the long skirt has some texture issue as you can see on the end, but i think i can fix it, i personally prefer the short one it shows better the shins particulars wich i love, they are really detailed, like all the cdprojekt meshes btw....

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9896/immagineside.jpg