CTD when looking to the east while in Windhelm

ElijahHouck

This has to be the first issue I've had with Skyrim that I simply haven't been able to solve. I'm getting a CTD every time I look to the east when first entering Windhelm. Things I've tried:

1) Disabling all mods/disabling each mod individually.

2) I've verified the integrity of the game cache via Steam.

3) Loading a different save.

4) COC'ing to Windhelm from the main menu.

5) Turning the graphics down from Ultra to Low. This is the only thing that has any effect- it takes longer to crash, I have to walk further east into the city for it to do so.

What I'm guessing, based on my results when turning the settings from Ultra to Low, is that there is a specific actor or object causing the game to crash when he or she is loaded. It would make sense that the actor/object would take longer to crash the game on Low settings, as Actor and Object fade distances are much lower.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

Also having this problem now, might've had it earlier but I never went to Windhelm in the 150 hours of playtime so far lol.

I can move around Windhelm if I move like a zombie without looking East, but as soon as I move East, past the palace, close to the eastern part of the city I get a CTD. If I stay on the Western side I don't CTD, even if I look East from a relatively far western point.

Did you get this solved?

• 2 months later...

Had the very same issue, insta CTD if i moved an inch within windhelm and looked to the east, Confirming EMH's solution of simply deleting or removing all files/Folders inside /Data/Architecture/Windhelm.

Worked like a charm, thanks for the solution EMH! this was realy driving me mad!

That actually worked for me as well! This problem has been pissing me off for months. Project Parallax Windhelm was the culprit. Uninstalled it. Ran around Windhelm for 1 hour or so... entering cells... exiting cells, et cetera.

No crashes whatsoever...

• 1 month later...
I realize this thread is fairly old, but I just recently ran into this problem... made trying to join the DB hell. The fix worked though, a sincere thank you for your detective work. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...