A strange Combat Bug with 1.6

Videniofthesith

Ok since the 1.6 update both myself and the NPCs in my skyrim game have been acting strange while in combat. Sometimes an attack sound will play (sometimes with or without and animation) while doing a single attack motion. This also causes double damage when struck.

I had thought this might be because my Dance of Death was not upgraded, so I upgraded and the same thing was happening even on a clean save. So, I took everything off using the NMM and made a clean save, same thing was still happening. So after 1 by 1 upgrading everything on my game and even removing some things, it is still happening. So I'm down to thinking it is something screwed up in the 1.6 update, yet again. Unless of course someone has had this happened to them and knows how to fix it.

So if anyone could help me, I would greatly thank you for it.

havent had the problem, but you should uninstall the mods, and then go into your skyrim/data directory and look in there at your meshes and textures folders. NMM has a bad habit of not actually deleting the files and the game will load them anyways, just not the esp, which may have scripts necessary for certain animations and stuff to work properly. if you find the files in there, delete the whole meshes and textures folders. then try again. this time it should be vanilla, as long as you have everything but the game and the update active. now, reinstall the mods and see if it works. i use dance of death, as well as several other combat mods, on the 1.6 update with no problem.

I had the same problem. I've been modding/trying to fix up my game folders as of late so I haven't noticed whether or not that got fixed. Kind of sucked because I had made a new character that couldn't take on bandit chiefs and whatnot because of the bug...

hope the problem was fixed... i updated my game BEFORE applying any mods. from what i understand, at least with morrowind/oblivion, you shouldnt update your game with mods installed. but since archive invalidation is now a thing of the past, i dont know if it makes a difference anymore...

I deleted everything like you said and did a clean save and it was fixed, but when I added everything back, it was back as well. But I found that MY mod where I changed some stats and stuff on a custom sword I was making from an original model was already in the game, I think was causing it. At least that is what I think it was, I went back in the CK and changed the stats back and from as much as I can tell, its gone. Perhaps it was it, perhaps it wasn't. Thanks for the help!

I deleted everything like you said and did a clean save and it was fixed, but when I added everything back, it was back as well. But I found that MY mod where I changed some stats and stuff on a custom sword I was making from an original model was already in the game, I think was causing it. At least that is what I think it was, I went back in the CK and changed the stats back and from as much as I can tell, its gone. Perhaps it was it, perhaps it wasn't. Thanks for the help!

eh, not as much help as i was hoping it was. but at least you got the problem fixed, thats the main thing. :)

hope the problem was fixed... i updated my game BEFORE applying any mods. from what i understand, at least with morrowind/oblivion, you shouldnt update your game with mods installed. but since archive invalidation is now a thing of the past, i dont know if it makes a difference anymore...

Ehh, probably not. If I understand right, Skyrim's updates (and Oblivion's to a point) have most of their files in a cumulatively-updated master called Update.esm, and next to no loose files aside from the updated binaries in the root Skyrim folder.

This is why it's important, particularly in Skyrim, to have mods that match or exceed your installed patch version; the patch itself doesn't overwrite anything, so you can potentially have updated files loading from Update.esm, then old files in the Data folders overriding them and causing problems.

So in summary: no, you don't need to uninstall mods before updating, but if you have issues make sure your mods are for the latest patch, and make sure NMM actually uninstall's a mod's files if you need it to.