Charitable mindsets

kvnchrist

I've always wanted to know which was a more powerful intention of those who claim to care for others. I feel that there are two types of people, who sincerely care about others, but I was wanted to discuss the idea that there might be underlying reasoning for people who concern themselves in the lives of others and how these people see those they are concerned about.

The two mindsets that I want to focus on are (1) Those who care about being needed and (2) Those who need to be caring.

Are these both legitimately concerned people and what is the perceived value are the charitable recipients to people with either mindsets

I think it goes beyond that in a different way.

The act of giving something to others just feels good. Nothing more than that.

Celebrities who only do it because of a court order, or so that they can look good for their fans are only an exception because usually they are doing it at the request of someone else, rather than making a personal connection with the act, so naturally don't feel much beyond their own self-centered entitlement.

My step grandfather gave away over a million dollars in the last 6 years of his life. He gave to individuals in need and not charities. The people who received anything from US$100 to US$5000 never knew where it came from. He never told his family that he even had that much money, let alone that he was giving it away.

He helped hundreds of people through hard times and never expected anything - not even thanks in return. He gave personally, usually by putting an envelope with cash and a short note in their mailbox to let them know the money was theirs. Some of those he helped were illegal immigrants in Southern California.

He would hear of their problem from someone else or from talking to them, do a little research to be sure they were legitimately in a bind and not a wino or druggie. Then decide how much they needed to get them through. Sometimes instead of money, he would leave a box of groceries.

He did it not because somebody told him he should, but because he thought it was the thing to do. If asked, he would never admit it.

To me, that is what real charity means. :thumbsup:

My step grandfather gave away over a million dollars in the last 6 years of his life. He gave to individuals in need and not charities. The people who received anything from US$100 to US$5000 never knew where it came from. He never told his family that he even had that much money, let alone that he was giving it away.

He helped hundreds of people through hard times and never expected anything - not even thanks in return. He gave personally, usually by putting an envelope with cash and a short note in their mailbox to let them know the money was theirs. Some of those he helped were illegal immigrants in Southern California.

He would hear of their problem from someone else or from talking to them, do a little research to be sure they were legitimately in a bind and not a wino or druggie. Then decide how much they needed to get them through. Sometimes instead of money, he would leave a box of groceries.

He did it not because somebody told him he should, but because he thought it was the thing to do. If asked, he would never admit it.

To me, that is what real charity means. :thumbsup:

American Hero-ized.

I think it goes beyond that in a different way.

The act of giving something to others just feels good. Nothing more than that.

Celebrities who only do it because of a court order, or so that they can look good for their fans are only an exception because usually they are doing it at the request of someone else, rather than making a personal connection with the act, so naturally don't feel much beyond their own self-centered entitlement.

That's if they give anything at all, they seem to spend most of their time telling ordinary folk to give more.

@bben46 Wow that is true selflessness, a rare thing.

I've always wanted to know which was a more powerful intention of those who claim to care for others. I feel that there are two types of people, who sincerely care about others, but I was wanted to discuss the idea that there might be underlying reasoning for people who concern themselves in the lives of others and how these people see those they are concerned about.

The two mindsets that I want to focus on are (1) Those who care about being needed and (2) Those who need to be caring.

Are these both legitimately concerned people and what is the perceived value are the charitable recipients to people with either mindsets

For me, the more powerful intention always comes down to doing what one preaches.

I don't care who you are, but if you even so much have the inability to do something - regardless of your willingness - that you're telling someone else to do, there is no credibility to me when you don't do it yourself.

If people want to flaunt that they've given money away to charity, I see no problem there - rather, I think that should be flaunted more often. IMO, it'd make things a whole lot better.

Edited by eodx9000

I think that people who give learn very quickly that there are massive and far-reaching rewards to doing so. Not only does it feel good in the moment, but it makes the world around the giver a little better, benefiting the giver, the recipient, and beyond.

It directs the giver's focus outwards, rather than inwards, which decreases anxiety and depression. It increases the giver's sense of efficacy and connection with others, all of which lead to mental and physical health benefits for the giver, increasing their mental and physical reserves to support a greater ability to help others. In addition, the recipient experiences a larger sense of community, and may be relieved of their problems enough to direct their focus to others in need, widening the positive effect.

Giving in this sense is the most practical solution for all involved, as we are all in this together.