Strange CTD Issue

RyanLP

I recently came across an issue where my game was crashing to desktop immediately upon startup. Frustrated, I tried to figure out which mod had caused the issue, so I began to remove mods one by one and test whether or not the game would work. Eventually I disabled all my mods only to find that the game was still crashing, even with no mods installed. Then I investigated my ini file and found that when I used the vanilla ini it would load fine, but when I made any changes to it the game would crash immediately on startup. I attempted to reinstall the game, but simply by and editing the Fonts section for Darnified UI the game began to crash. I decided that I could live without DarnifiedUI, but now every time I activate Archive Invalidation the game crashes. I've reinstalled several times and the problem persists. I've been modding Fallout for 3 years now and never had this issue. If anyone has any information on this or a solution, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time. Edited by RyanLP

RyanLP - Hello!

Did you at any time change the Fallout_default.ini that's in your Fallout folder as opposed to the Fallout.ini in your Documents/My Games?

Try moving that out of the Fallout folder & removing the other .ini from the Documents/My Games & start Fallout 3 (it will remake the .ini from scratch then).

See if Fallout runs fine then.

If it still crashes on startup, & you definitely have no other mods ticked (as a missing master is the most frequent cause of startup CTD's) make sure you've completely removed DarnUI as I think without it's .ini changes it will cause Fallout 3 to crash.

In particular ensure that it's files in Menus have been removed.

That's about all I can think of.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

RyanLP - Hello!

Did you at any time change the Fallout_default.ini that's in your Fallout folder as opposed to the Fallout.ini in your Documents/My Games?

Try moving that out of the Fallout folder & removing the other .ini from the Documents/My Games & start Fallout 3 (it will remake the .ini from scratch then).

See if Fallout runs fine then.

If it still crashes on startup, & you definitely have no other mods ticked (as a missing master is the most frequent cause of startup CTD's) make sure you've completely removed DarnUI as I think without it's .ini changes it will cause Fallout 3 to crash.

In particular ensure that it's files in Menus have been removed.

That's about all I can think of.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hello Presna, and thank you for responding.

I haven't modified the Fallout_default.ini at any point. If my memory serves me correctly, that's the ini I'm not supposed to touch right? To double check I went into notepad to view it's contents and check if bInvalidateOldeFiles was equal to 0 and found that it was. In the Fallout.ini in my documents it was still equal to 1, which causes me to crash. Upon setting it back to 0 (which is equivalent to the vanilla ini since I made no other changes) the game starts up normally. It's as if any change at all to the ini causes the entire game to stop working.

On a side note I'd also like to add that my game is patched to the latest version and that if I leave the ini at vanilla settings the game still starts up with all the mods I'm using so I don't think I'm having any conflicts. I also play with all of the DLC content.

Edited by RyanLP

I removed Darnified UI's files from the menu folder, but the problem still persists. When I uninstalled before, I didn't realize that there were still files in the data folder and main directory added by mods. I completely deleted my Fallout 3 folder after uninstalling and will now attempt to reinstall once more.

The problem is finally solved.

First, I'd like to thank you Presna for taking the time to respond and help me with this issue. Second, to anyone reading this thread in the future because they are experiencing this problem, I suggest that you make sure your game is thoroughly uninstalled. It's a real bummer when you have to reinstall everything, but it makes for way more of a headache if you keep the same files that are causing the problem every time you reinstall.