Is Nehrim a worthwhile experience

mizdarby

After reading about the Nehrim mod on their website, I found myself getting quite excited about giving it a shot, the experience point system in particular sounded like it would give me a whole new experience with Oblivion. But reading about it, is not the same as getting feedback from hands on players, who have used it.

A few points to consider, I live in possibly the most backward part of the world broadband wise, my part of town has lost access to the better isps, due to 'redevelopment', and I am currently limited to 2 gig download a month, and Nehrim uses 1.6 gigs of that. So should I decide to go for Nehrim, I have very little scope for mods to further improve the experience.

So is Nehrim completely stable or a bit buggy, can I use the following oblivion mods with it..HGEC, Sounds of Cydrodiil, Natural Environments, which are all mods I very much like, or do I have to install Nehrim versions of them (or equivalent mods), and does Oblivion console commands work in Nehrim. Can I run Nehrim on a Radeon 4550 graphic card (512 mb ddr3) and 2 gigs ram. I can run Oblivion with several environmental mods (Unique Landscapes, Natural Environments etc) with no obvious stuttering.

Finally is the quoted 50 hours gameplay, the sum total of the Nehrim experience, or is it just the general time limit for it's main quest line, with more hours available for side quests.

Thanks in advance.

First, Nehrim is a brilliant experience. I played it about a year and a half ago, and as soon as I get all my projects out of the way I will play it again ;)

Nehrim is stable, probably more so than Oblivion itself. In fact, I've been told that a certain bug called the "SetLevel Bug", which everyone thought was an engine bug, doesn't happen in Nehrim.

Nehriim is incompatible with most of the mods out there that use esps. Not only that, but if you are not using steam then Nehrim is automatically installed outside of your Oblivion Directory. Most of your replacer mods will need to be moved into the nehrim directly manually, even then I'm not sure if they will work correctly, seen as the file names probably don't match. As for esps - if the esp does not have Oblivion.esm as a master file, it can be used for Nehrim, technically.

50 hours sounds about right, but it depends on your play style. For me, I was actually enjoying dungeon crawls so much that I never walked past a ruin without clearing out it's inhabitants for xp, then hunting down the pieces of unique armour sets that are scattered across the world inside little dungeons like the one I just cleared. That took up a lot of time for me, but I don't know if you will like the dungeon crawls like I did.

The thing I loved most about Nehrim is how difficult it was, yet allowing the player to grow and improve until they inevitably breeze through all the local enemies, then sending them off to a new zone that makes the player its b*tch again. I played on max difficulty, so when I was fending off trolls in the tutorial dungeon with a useless dagger, eventually faced with no choice but to run away from the bigger and better black troll, I was overwhelmed by the satisfaction of clearing out an entire dungeon full of black trolls about half way through the game.

I wont go into much else. There wasn't much I didn't like, but it was"understandable" why some of it wasn't quite as good, if that makes sense.

I remember a review for it said "It's not just a mod. It's the benchmark for TES V." In a lot of ways, Bethesda, a multi-million dollar company, was outclassed by an independant team of 4 dedicated German developers. Kind of sad in a way.

Edited by WarRatsG

I remember a review for it said "It's not just a mod. It's the benchmark for TES V." In a lot of ways, Bethesda, a multi-million dollar company, was outclassed by an independant team of 4 dedicated German developers. Kind of sad in a way.

That is pretty bad, but I've heard similar things from many of the other players as well.

The one thing that prevented me from playing it was that the NPC spoken language is in German, and even though there were translated subtitles, I've never cared for media like that. I get distracted with trying to listen and read the subtitles at the same time. :ermm:

To me, German voice over just made it even better. It gave a greater sense of foreignness.

The world, Quests and use of Havok is really what puts Bethesda to shame. After you play Nehrim you'll find that Bethesda lack imagination and probably motivation too. The music is also very good and memorable.

Most mods are transferable to Nehrim. The only one that might not work are mods that have scripts, unless you can translate their scripts into German. Other than that, there's a few guide how to change mods to work on Nehrim.

Edited by Caithe

Wow I am so impressed with the quality of the replies. It did sound fabulous from the website, and your replies have reinforced my positive leanings, and have committed to downloading it. My German is very poor, so I will have to go down the subtitle route, but a German voice over sounds like a good thing, I can pretend they are speaking Nirnrootian and hopefully improve the immersion of the experience.

I want to especially thank chaospearl, for her extremely kind offer, which if my download goes pete tong (english for wrong) I might well accept. Sent you kudos for your kindness.