should i install Vortex or wait

EnglishGentleman

i went to install Vortex and noticed that its in BETA and i was just wondering if it worth installing or not

should i stick NMM for the moment or give Vortex a go

If you have an ongoing game with NMM, stick with that.

If you want to find out what Vortex is all about, then experiment with it on a new game designed strictly for the purpose of learning Vortex. If you're happy with the results, then move on from there.

You do know that NMM is in BETA as well?

I suggest you install Vortex IF you are going to use it on a game you haven't modded yet, so that you don't mess up any game that you have working fine at the moment.

I also suggest you spend time with the tutorials because so far, about 99% of the problems people are having with Vortex are self-inflicted because they didn't bother with the Tutorials and Wiki, and ended up ruining their games because of not knowing what they were doing and how Vortex works.
Such as putting the Mod Deployment and Download Folders INSIDE the game Folder etc,, that's a big no-no.

Guest deleted34304850

i'd say that it depends.

1. do you have a current game that you are playing that you don't want to mess up? if the answer is yes, stick with what you've got.

2. do you have confidence in yourself to transition from nmm to vortex? if the answer is no, stick with what you've got.

3. do you make regular backups of your environment, so that if stuff goes south, you can recover, fully with minimal impact? if the answer is no, stick with what you've got.

4. do you consider yourself able to read about what you're going to do, the steps you need to take and the changes that will come from your transition? if the answer is no, then stick with what you've got.

some context for you

i had a game i've been playing for hundreds of hours. i was also planning in getting a new system. i backed everything up and went from nmm to vortex. i had read up on issues and resolutions, i'd watched you tube, and i was confident that i had the minerals to do this.

it took me about an hour in total to migrate a game with about 180-something mods fully to vortex.

over the next day(s) i played around with vortex, and the game, i added mods, i messed with load orders, i removed stuff, i deployed and purged and i looked at the state of my game folders as i was doing this. after a couple of days of messing about i was confident i'd done all i needed to do.

i fired up fallout 4 (the game i was migrating) and went into my load and everything fired up as it should. I did see a couple of messages saying that the save was missing a few mods. I simply went back, downloaded/installed them until the warnings went away, went into the world, and it was all fine.

never looked back.

it just takes a bit of planning and a bit of insight. nothing more than that.

i'd say that it depends.

1. do you have a current game that you are playing that you don't want to mess up? if the answer is yes, stick with what you've got.

2. do you have confidence in yourself to transition from nmm to vortex? if the answer is no, stick with what you've got.

3. do you make regular backups of your environment, so that if stuff goes south, you can recover, fully with minimal impact? if the answer is no, stick with what you've got.

4. do you consider yourself able to read about what you're going to do, the steps you need to take and the changes that will come from your transition? if the answer is no, then stick with what you've got.

An excellent post! :thumbsup:

As for the part quoted, I wish it could be a separate and pinned topic in this forum. Is there any way to make that happen?

I am reading this and I'm many things of which beautiful is not one of them - still, you've cheered me up so much I'd just like to add my own 2 bobs worth all though the advice above is 100% sound.

My first week with Vortex was a goddam nightmare - I had a semi-broken game of Fallout 4 installed by NMM so decided to switch.

Vortex needs to be watched very carefully after install to make sure it's doing what you think it is. I trust it now, but I had to completely uninstall my first attempt at a new FO4 game because it couldn't cope with changes I was making with tools ran from within Vortex (How much of this is to do with my decision to install on my J drive where my games are and not the C as recommended I simply do not know)

What I do know is the button that says install from file will install from an external location but it does not create a copy in your downloads folder and when you uninstall that mod it's gone for good unless you have the original - Keep that in mind.

Personally, I'd suggest deploying after every change, as annoying as it can be - checking that it's done as you expected for as long as you can stomach it - I trust it now, I actually am growing to love it but that took another 2 weeks after the original disaster.

Don't go near it first time if your tired - this is something you do when fresh and alert - seriously!

Rather than bore you with other stuff - take your time - but I'm now running FO4 better than it has ever ran before with 350 mods, 250 esps and esms. 40 esls at least - I had a mod installed before "Improved BOS" - via NMM, but all I got from that was all BOS members in grey T-60 power armor - (AND YES I INSTALLED IT IN A FRESH GAME BEFORE THE BOS ARRIVED!) - now I'm getting to enjoy the real Improved BOS mod, with all the variety etc that advertised in the mod - it's not the only one.

When I finished uninstalling EVERYTHING in NMM - I still had 12.7GB worth of files in the FOLDERS within DATA alone - no ESP's or ESM's - just random texture/meshes, scripts - which kinda explains why things didn't work so well - Never tempt fate with a game that's running beautifully - but I promise you - when your ready for your next install of whatever - Vortex is the way to go - just handle with care.

@ OP ... excellent answers have been given to you and do yourself a favor : follow those advises by the letter.

One thing I would like to add if there is any room left for an advise after too many excellent posts from my comrades in arms ( lol ), : learn Vortex with a game that you do not care too much about and do not install too many mods. I would suggest to only play with 10-15 mods at the most and monkey around with that amount, how to deploy them, how to resolve conflicts, auto-sort, etc, etc. and that will give you the knowledge you need.

If you have NMM, then install that game ( the one that you do not care about ) with 10 mods and import it to Vortex. It will be easier with 10 mods rather than with 200 + mods. If you do not want to import, then do what I suggested to you in my first paragraph. Read instructions, watch videos and read these threads.

Righty oh then after reading through the comments which by the way thank you for your input it's much appreciated i've learnt a few things

1 NMM is in BETA

2 I've cheered up Jay (my work here is complete)

3 1ae0bfb8, augusta calidia and sopmac45 made some valid and helpful points and tips

I'm going to stick with NMM for the time being CHEERS LD <-pint glass