Does anyone know how to fix this?

Playing a quest mod and saving it at random times (not autosave exclusively). These saves appear in the load menu as I'm playing and work fine. So now I exit the game, shut down the computer (laptop) for the day. Next day I fire it up, start the game, All my saves are there, but if I select any of them they load a completely different save from the vanilla game that has nothing to do with the mod I'm playing. So what happened there I wonder?

Example:

Mod I'm running is Rigmor of Bruma. Manual save exiting Fort Black. When I load the save later on, I end up at the Kightgate Inn in north of Windhelm, completely unrelated to the mod. What's up with that? :ohmy: I have not played this mod in my laptop before.

Edited by varkonasnorse

I do use SKSE, but I have never experienced this issue before in the three years I've been playing the game. I am starting to think there is a hidden folder somewhere with backup saves that is causing his, but I'll be switched if I can find it. I loathe starting a new game (I've done it six times), so that will be my last resort. And, you know, this never happens on my desktop machine; only my laptop. Desktop is Windows7 with Win10 upgrade, and laptop is factory Windows10. Some people say that doen't matter, but I somehow think that it does matter very much. I just don't know in what way. :confused: Thanks for the help.

Edited by varkonasnorse

You are lookin in C\Users\Name\Documents\My Games\skyrim/ Saves right? There should be an ESS and an SKSE file for each save. Have you checked the files dates modified? And when you look at the save in game to load it, does the picture match where it loads you?

Yep. And the pics match too. But when I click to load, it loads something entirely different. I have a theory I dreamed up:

I, for some reason, start my game while logged on to the 'net, so I automatically connected to Steam and it updated my files. Now, on my desktop machine I am also playing Skyrim, but more advanced at a higher level. My theory is that Steam has taken file updates from the cloud storage and transferred them to my laptop game which is the same game but a different level of play, therefore inserting false files and parameters into it.

Am I close, or is that way off? :dry:

Yeah I see sometimes when I start A game steam says that my game files are different from the ones backed up in the cloud, then asks which I want to keep. So sure if ya uploaded like the ones from one then downloaded to the other then could certainly mess things up.

Open Steam on both machines:

1) In your Steam Library, right-click on Skyrim and select "Properties."
2) Click the "Updates" tab.
3) Uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Skyrim."
4) Click "Close."

Edited by Valkyrie

There's an idea! I'll check that out today.

Update: Well, that wasn't it apparently. Mod still doesn't work right, and now I'm seeing NPCs I killed a long time ago. I,m pretty sure Windows 10 doesn't like Skyrim anyway unless it SE. I'm playing LE. I'm just not going to buy it again. I'll take it out before I do that. :laugh:

Edited by varkonasnorse