Old monitor + new pc = ?

Unfortunately, yeah, the main issue is that the monitor will not get a signal no matter what gets plugged into where. I know someone who will be able to let me borrow their monitor to see if I just need a new one, so hopefully that'll get SOME kind of result. I appreciate the help, at least.

Oh, fabulous. Nothing's ever easy, is it?

Can you at least go into detail? Dunno what a BIOS update is, or even how to do one if it's possible.

You download a small file from the motherboard manufacturer's website, put it on an usb-drive and run in in the bios.

You would need a gen 6 processor to get in to the BIOS. Maybe a local Computer shop can update the BIOS for you.

Or you could send back your motherboard and buy a B250 board instead.

That assumes you can at least get the MB to post though. He isn't even getting that far.

You would need a 6th gen processor to post, entire forums where filled with these questions when kaby lake came out and people bought cheap b150 boards. A major tech forum in my country had a cheap skylake celeron that was passed around between users.

...been looking into a few things, and something occurred to me.

If the motherboard is faulty, would anything connected to it still turn on anyway? Like the fans and such. I also read somewhere that silence on startup is also a sign of a faulty MB (though I wasn't able to find any citation on that).

Edited by doctorzero0

So you're saying I have the wrong kind of processor? I apologize if I seem like I'm not getting it.

Yes this is exactly it, your motherboard needs an update to use the processor you have.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150M-GAMING-PRO#support-cpu

Your processor is supported from version 4.5

Unfortunately you need a slightly older processor to do the update, maybe a local computer shop can help.

Edited by Erik005

While I try to figure out if the motherboard is in fact faulty (which will likely be nigh impossible given my lack of options), there any motherboard alternatives anyone can suggest? Preferably one that A. won't burn that big a hole in my pocket and B. will NOT need to be updated for the processor.

In addition to that, is it possible to update the motherboard's BIOS without having to replace the processor? I mean, considering that the thing won't even register the monitor I doubt it's possible, but I want to make absolutely sure I don't miss anything.

Edited by doctorzero0

While I try to figure out if the motherboard is in fact faulty (which will likely be nigh impossible given my lack of options), there any motherboard alternatives anyone can suggest? Preferably one that A. won't burn that big a hole in my pocket and B. will NOT need to be updated for the processor.

In addition to that, is it possible to update the motherboard's BIOS without having to replace the processor? I mean, considering that the thing won't even register the monitor I doubt it's possible, but I want to make absolutely sure I don't miss anything.

A B250 board would be a good alternative.

You can not update the BIOS without replacing the processor on your board.

Two things. One, I was afraid of that, and I am highly tempted to do a whole bunch of expletives (but I won't, because this is a public forum and we should have standards).

Two, something that I CANNOT believe slipped my mind and should've added in the first post. Basically, the motherboard was labelled "refurbished" on Amazon.

...yes, I KNOW it's best not to get refurbished parts, but it was the only one in stock at the time. You're free to point and laugh.

Two things. One, I was afraid of that, and I am highly tempted to do a whole bunch of expletives (but I won't, because this is a public forum and we should have standards).

Two, something that I CANNOT believe slipped my mind and should've added in the first post. Basically, the motherboard was labelled "refurbished" on Amazon.

...yes, I KNOW it's best not to get refurbished parts, but it was the only one in stock at the time. You're free to point and laugh.

A refurbished board is actually not a bad choice in a build like this.