Idea: Cathnoquey

mistermano

5 members have voted

1. 1. Does it sound interesting?

Some time ago, I wanted to start a mod project of a citadel island of sorts. However, I also wanted it to be lore friendly. Some wiki reading later, I've found this:

Uriel V, Cephorus II's son and successor, swivelled opinion back toward the latent power of the Empire. Turning the attention of Tamriel away from internal strife, Uriel V embarked on a series of invasions beginning almost from the moment he took the throne in 3E268. Uriel V conquered Rosacrea in 271, Cathnoquey in 276, Yneslea in 279, and Esroniet in 284. In 3E288, he embarked on his most ambitious enterprise, the invasion of the continent kingdom of Akavir. This ultimately proved a failure, for two years later Uriel V was killed in Akavir on the battlefield of Ionith. Nevertheless, Uriel V holds a reputation second only to Tiber as one of the two great Warrior Emperors of Tamriel.

That's basically all the reference the Elder Scrolls games make of those lands. For all we know, they could be islands up to the size of a province anywhere between the continents of Tamriel and Akavir.

I decided to pick Cathnoquey and work on some backstory for it.

Situated some 1000 miles (~1800 Km) east of Tamriel, Cathnoquey is a small archipelago of 4 islands: Authquey, Um'Qel, Leilno and Rakshar.

Strategically located between both continents, the archipelago also boasts significant natural resources, the most notable being Um'Qel's "heavenly" soil, which has thus far allowed for bountiful, year-long harvests of many different plants.

--

During one exploring mission of the Eastern Sea by the Imperial Navy, they discovered the archipelago and found that the main island, Authquey, already had a small settlement of a race similar to the khajit from Elsweyr, but bulkier and taller. Their architecture was also unlike anything in Tamriel. It seemed like they had little to no contact with Tamriel before that.

Despite not landing nor checking any of the islands properly, the ship reported back what it saw. The Empire decided to claim the land as it own. Due to the initial reports being of 'a small, walled settlement in the main island', only a small number of soldiers and warships were sent.

When the Ka'Po'Tun noticed that the incoming ships were too armed to be scouting or merchant vessels, they immediately formed a militia to prepare and fight the coming invaders. One thing the imperial report lacked to mention was that the wall settlement was surrounded by was big enough to need heavy siege equipment to break.

--To be properly finished

To shorten things: the archipelago was conquered by the Empire and still remains today, but not without its problems. The player will be able to take a boat from either Solitude or Windhelm to get there. I plan to make at least the main island, with most of it being a huge citadel (i'm still drawing sketches of how it'll look like) and some points of interest outside.

This IS a pretty bold, and big, project, I am well aware of that. I may not have any published mod but I already know a thing or two on modding Bethesda games, so don't worry about me, worry about the quality of what may become of this :P

So, what do you guys think of it?

Sounds interesting!

Though it makes me wonder; will the Po'Tun still be there? or were they eradicated when the isle was conquered? (would be cool to meet them =) )

And you're right when you say its a big and bold project. Different architecture (and equipment?), new land, problems (sounds like quests..). Thats quite the mod you're planning to make.

Though you do seem to have spent more time on the backstory than most "new land"-mods, which is good imho.

all in all, i think it is feasible to make. Though it might take a long while to get there. and if you do decide to take this mod on, i wish you the best of luck and i can't wait to see how it turns out.

=)

Punching a backstory together and planning all the stuff I actually want to put there is the easiest part to me, to be honest. I'm already working on game books that explain more throughly the events that happened there, like the original scouting report, some diaries etc. And I plan to put the Ka'Po'Tun there, which are still very, VERY unhappy of losing the place.

Since I pretty much lack any 3D modeling skill, I'll have to scour the nexus and the internet for structure models that I can use, mostly oriental looking ones, given the lore that surrounds Akavir. Meanwhile, I'll use vanilla assets the best I can

And thanks the moral support :)