How do I learn to create my own mods?

PokemonButcher

No turning back now!

Dear mod creators and fellow users of mods,

I played my fair share of games, and have enjoyed the implementation of a plenitude of different mods throughout. As much as I have enjoyed installing and using mods that their respective creators have shared, I wish to be able to create my very own mods to use and share to enrich a gaming experience! The problem is that I haven't the faintest idea where to begin. I know OF creation kit, blender, and other tools, but have absolutely no experience with them or what they are used for. I am coming from the position of a complete novice to coding, mod creation, mesh/texture building, game engine...things, etc., you name it! Well, I have got to start somewhere. What I am asking about is, as I understand it, something that takes years of experience to approach confidently. Therefore, I am not expecting all of THAT to be condensed into one forum topic. Any advice for me (and any and all others who have wanted to create mods but have never had a point of reference to learn from the ground up) is muchly appreciated! What resources would you recommend that I turn to? How do you make a weapon? Armour? Quests?! What tools and know-how are required? I am talking about level-zero, no XP, zilch, nada, capoot, no prior knowledge of mod creation skills embarking on this path! Where ought I to start?

Oh, benevolent mod creators, please bestow within us, reciprocals of unfulfilled expression, your wisdom...pertaining to making mods.

...No pressure, though! ð¤

I'm glad that there are still people out there willing to learn!

Most of us have usually worked through most of the CK turorials:

tutorials

Yeah, that website will be indefinitely useful in your journey. That's how I learned. Still use that wiki today, even four years after I started.

If you're ever trying to do something specific, Darkfox127 probably has a tutorial on it. I still go to his videos from time to time as a reference.

Personally, I started by mostly making house mods, and just kind of learned my way around the Creation kit and Skyrim's assets like that. Then I tried to make a quest mod, but that never got anywhere, and I stopped playing Skyrim for a while. Then I came back to it and started making small gameplay mods and weapon and armor retextures, then started to make a different quest mod, which I actually managed to finish and release and am now working on a sequel to.

Once you get into it a little more, these links are really useful:

List of all the functions in Skyrim's Papyrus script. You probably won't need this for the first few mods you make, but if you ever make a complicated quest mod or just something with a cool feature, that can be useful. I pretty much always have it open when I'm working on something that involves scripts.

List of all the events in Skyrim's Papyrus script. Essentially the same as the last one. You won't need this at first.

List of all the condition functions in Skyrim. This is useful when you're writing dialogue or making perks/spells. Again, you're not going to need it when you start.

List of all the package templates. When you start making NPCs do stuff, this is a list of all the stuff you can make them do, apart from animations.

Keywords in Papyrus and Operators in Papyrus. Stuff like that is part of pretty much every script language, as far as I know, it's useful to have them on hand.

Anyway you can always PM me if you need help with stuff.